Why College Players Should Stay Longer

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by Crates, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

I think more of these college players should consider staying in college longer instead of going to the NBA after their first school year.

I especially apply this to college players who are on teams that have the potential for winning championships. Going to the NBA early may seem like a good idea(big money) but there's no guarantee that once in the NBA that they will ever win anything even if they turn out to be great players. So if you are on a college team that has championship potential then consider staying longer because a college championship or championships may be the only ones you ever win.

I heard Kobe last year talking about how he'd like to have been a part of March Madness. I bet this view would be even stronger had he not already won a NBA championship. I'am sure Grant Hill is happy he at least has a college title to look at.
    test
  2. the Prince

the Prince New Member

a lot of those kids only care about the financials
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Naw they care about winning championships, too, but they think that it'll come eventually because they're so good... they don't realize that it's hard as hell to get with a championship team in the NBA sometimes.

They should take the example of Tim Duncan... NBA scouts wanted him ever since he was a sophomore... but he stayed all 4 years and then went on to win 3 or 4 titles with the Spurs.

Carmello Anthony should've stayed, too... he could've racked up at least one more with Syracuse...

Greg Oden is in a good position, though... Portland gotta squad.
    test
  4. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

College players should consider the NBA careers of Charles Barkley and Dominique Wilkins. Both great players but never won NBA titles.

Carmelo may go a long time before winning another championship. I don't see the Nuggets getting there anytime soon but at least he did win with Syracuse.
    test
  5. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

i don't think a lot of them know what they are getting themselves into, and lets be honest a little too full of themselves. i think it's a good rule to keep kids from going from high school to the pros.
    test
  6. ForeShadow.

ForeShadow. Topical Swag [ON]

it should be mandatory that they stay all 4 years. If I owned a football team I would want my football players to be fully developed before they got to me
    test
  7. Ayem

Ayem I Heart Myself

just off the top ...

Jared Bayless
    Robert Swift
    Donte Green
    Darius Washington Jr.
    Mike Conley
    Javaris Crittenton
    Tyrus Thomas
    Patrick O'bryant
    Shannon Brown
    Quincy Douby

all should've stayed longer in college

(edited to say ... and that's only the past 3 drafts!)
    test
  8. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

wasn't mike conley a senior when he played with oden that year?
    test
  9. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I don't agree with that... I think they should be allowed to go as early as they want to... it's up to the teams to determine which players are viable and which are not... really, it's a crapshoot either way, sometimes... whether they're fresh out of high school or finished all 4 years of college... Lebron James was an NBA player ever since he was a sophomore in high school...
    test
  10. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

think he was a freshman or sophmore.. him and oden played together in HS i think..

but back to the topic, most players should stay longer but it's hard to blame them.. the money is too good.. look at josh mcroberts, dude is still in the league and making more money than all of us lmao..

the next thing is this europe thing.. i wanna see how brandon jennings pans out..
    test
  11. Fantom

Fantom :ihadadream:

i think if you're 18 you should be able to do whatever the fuck you feel...

you can go to iraq at 18, but you cant play for the Clippers? wtf...
    test
  12. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

i agree.

if i was 18 years old and i knew i was guaranteed to make at least 7 figures for the next 2-3 years of my life, i would skip college in a heartbeat.

of course making $5-$6 mil in a 3 year span during this era is not as much as it was, let's say, 10 years ago, but any person who has good money managing skills can live the rest of his or her life off of $5 mil.

that's what i think.
    test
  13. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

that europe shit aint going nowhere...has anyone heard from josh childress? NOPE! should have stayed with the hawks then people would care. Who wants to play in a lame league against second tier talent? Yeah he getting money but money aint everything. I predict Jennings will be a flop anyway cuz he wasn't impressive when I saw him in the All American game...I didn't see any flashes of greatness.

but yeah it was a shock to me (being a Duke fan) that Josh McRoberts and Shavlik Randolph jumped to the NBA.
    McRoberts was decent in college but soft as hell. He only had minimal potential at that point and Randolph was a backup avg like 5 pts/game and wasn't athletic or dominant in any area...and both got drafted and are STILL in the league. They get no PT but still they are on teams...shit blows my mind. A couple more years with Coach K they could actually be decent in the league...as it stands now they are benchwarmers.
    test
  14. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I think that as soon as a player gets a first round guarantee, he should jump. You do realize that in every other entry level position you get paid as you go through your training so to speak. Why should sports be any different? I think the guys that don't make it and people say they left too early, wouldn't have made it even if they stayed four years. When guys don't make it, they fail because of a lack of work ethic and nothing else. Therefore, it makes zero sense not to go the moment some idiot GM wants to take a chance on your "potential".
    test
  15. ForeShadow.

ya he was one of the fee. but it would be ridiculous to base a franchise on a high school player that hasnt played a minute of professional ball and thats what some of these guys do!
    test
  16. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

sometimes u can tell though...

Dwight Howard & LeBron James were real men ready for the league at birth.
    Also Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley, Chris Paul, Elton Brand, Luol Deng..where u look at them in college and you're like this guy should be in the NBA

others are harder to determine like Bosh, went to GA tech one year, jumped to the league off potential and becomes one of the best players in the league, or Carlos Boozer

right now...I'm looking at OK vs TEX and Blake Griffin.
    He's good but I feel that last year Michael Beasley was better than Blake Griffin is right now. That still makes him a top 5 pick but as far as a franchise player...idk.
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

But you're not gettin' it... why isn't it equally as ridiculous to base a franchise on a 4 year college player who hasn't played a minute of professional ball??

Teams draft off potential, because that's all they have to go by on anybody... some are just smarter than others... when the Wizards drafted Kwame Brown, they weren't smart... however, Cleveland was...

Randy Moss was ready for the NFL after his freshman year at Marshall... athletically, maybe even Maurice Clarett, but he was too stupid and lazy.

And why aren't we having this conversation about other sports like baseball, tennis, soccer, golf, etc.? It's always the NBA and NFL, which are dominated by black athletes... I think it's racial... too many people don't like to see young blacks gettin' money.
    test
  18. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

but was durant better off going for a national championship or being on a below average sonics/thunder team?
    test
  19. ForeShadow.

lol how are you going to pull a race card when there is a black president? thats exactly what it is I dont want to see black guys getting money.. smh thats so stupid
    test
  20. Pistol Petee

Pistol Petee Pussy Eater

one word two syllables...money
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.