WHY CANT I RECORD IN MONO?? ONLY IN stereo?? PLEASE HELP OUT IF YOU CAN....

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by WOrsthabitt, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WOrsthabitt

WOrsthabitt New Member

ok so this is really fucking pissing me off... for some reason my Cubase LE 4 will not let me record in mono. it just comes up blank instead of showing all my waves.
    im running an AKG 200 microphone, through my Lexicon Lambda and through Cubase LE 4...
    for some reason it only lets me record in stereo and then i have to drop the waves into a stereo track, but im loosing quality this way really bad.

can anyone help out with this problem??? any suggestions are really appreciated!!!
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

I don't use Cubase to tell you where the settings are.. but here's what appears to be happening to you.. well.. #1 you are recording mono.. that is unless you're actually recording using two mics as a stereo pair, which I'm going to guess you're not doing.. so that means 1mic = Mono... I think what is happening is that your audio is being converted to stereo.. There was a similar option in adobe audition that converted tracks to stereo as they were recording... now this isn't true stereo reallh but none the less has a great effect on the audio.. I'll do some research today and see if I can get you more specifics. But it's a setting somewhere within Cubase. Good luck. I'll post more if I find it. pz.
    test
  3. AndrewC

AndrewC New Member

sorry to hijack the thread, but I've just got a quick question regarding this issue.

Why would there be a quality loss if the vocals are recorded in stereo instead? I thought that mono or stereo wouldnt make much of a difference because eventually we would convert everything to stereo in the final mixdown?

And if I am doing my vocal recordings in mono, what would be the appropriate steps? Do I record the vocals, do all the mixing to the mono track, and then only bounce everything to stereo to master? Hope you get what I mean.

Thanks!
    test
  4. WOrsthabitt

WOrsthabitt New Member

thanks for the info Roush....
    hopefully u can find something about that. i went through all my settings and had a homie who knows a little more about the shit come through and check it out also, neither of us can figure it out.
    im adding you to my AIM.. get at me if you find anything out..
    test
  5. Mr. ROUSH

Let me clarify.. It wouldn't necessairly be a loss in quality.. it's more of a loss in mixing capability.. When you record a mono mic and convert it to a stereo track you are basically taking a mono audio file and it then puts a copy in the right channel of the stereo track.. Stereo tracks are panned hard left and right by default.. you could center the pans, but what you would get then is a mono signal..

The problem that is created by using a stereo signal is that your vocals are taking up twice the frequency spectrum being panned hard left and right instead of 1 mono signal up the middle. This means that your vocals will be fighting for space with every other instrument taking up the same frequencies.. this makes vocals sound harsh and prevents them from cutting through the mix the way they should. Truth is.. you can get good results recording stereo, but only to a point.. You'll never get your vocals as present yet transparent as today's commercial recordings.

What you want to do is have your lead vocal take mono panned dead center.. rarely if ever will you have those panned off center.. next record your background vocals.. most people will record two additional mono tracks for the background vocals.. pan one left.. and the other right.. but not hard left and right.. for lead vocals keep your pans closer to center on your BG vocals.. for the chorus.. spread them out more.. still rarely hard right and left. Do the same thing for adlibs.

This is difficult to explain typing it out and not explaining verbally, so I hope this made sense. It helps to understand more about the frequency spectrum and the stereo field.. yes you eventually mix down everything to a stereo track.. but what mono does is allow you to give something it's own space in the stereo field.. a mono signal plays a mono role.. so even once a song is mixed down to a stereo file.. the things that are mono are still only mono.. so they would be heard either up the center.. left.. or right.. depending on where you pan them at.. stereo tracks are basically the same as two mono tracks.. so using a stereo track means the signal will be on the left and on the right.. that's not what you want. you want a balance of all signals from left to right making up the whole stereo mix and filling up the stereo field.. So I hope this made sense, but shoot me any more questions you have or anything you want me to clarify further and I'd be glad too..

WOrsthabitt - Ok I did look into this a little bit.. I'm still looking into it further, but one thing I want to make sure you're doing here.. When you create a track in cubase you have to choose either a mono or stereo track.. I'm assuming you're selecting the mono track, but I wanted to make sure.. I'm about to get off work and then I'll have more time to look into it and I'll post more a bit later.. I don't have AIM anymore, that is mad old.. I've got gmail with the gmail instant messenger if you have that..

for either of you if you have additional questions, just shoot me an email to roushy1@gmail.com or post back here. pz
    test
  6. Mr. ROUSH

Reading your post again.. I think I may have misunderstood the problem somewhat.. So when you insert a mono track.. and record.. you aren't getting any sound at all? No wave forms at all? But then when you insert a stereo track it records one only one side and then you have to copy them to both channels of a stereo track? Judging from that.. I would say that when you're recording in a mono track you must not be recording the right mic input from your preamp.. make sure the input of a mono track is the input that your mic is plugged into.. You may have overlooked this in the routing.. it would explain why it's working in stereo but not mono.. let me know if this isn't the fix.. because other than that.. if you're selecting a mono track.. it should record mono.. if you're selecting a stereo track then it should only record a mono signal into the left channel..

as a short term temporary solution in the meantime.. if you take the pans on a stereo track.. and put them both dead center.. you then have a mono signal.. even if the audio is actually stereo..

but let me know.. pz
    test
  7. WOrsthabitt

WOrsthabitt New Member

you hit the problem exactly on what i was saying.
    im not understanding completely though.
    yes when i select to record in a "mono" track no waves at all will come up. but when selecting a "stereo" track the waves will come up.
    running through only my lexicon lambda and you can choose Stereo, or Mono, on it, but when selecting Stereo the "stereo track on cubase" still wont record it through.
    i will wake up in the morning and try everything out again. maybe i can figure things out.

and thanks ALOT for your input...
    test
  8. Mr. ROUSH

Ok.. couple of things based on that.. #1 the mono/stero button on your lambda.. that only has to do with monitoring the sound going out, and it doesn't have any bearing on tracking.. it only changes whether you hear the end result in mono or stereo.. you want that stereo most of the time, but occasionally swith over to mono to make sure your mix sounds good in mono also.. what that does is improve the quality of how the song will sound on cheap speakers or coming from only one speaker.. so that's not part of your problem..

I still think it might be that you've overlooked the input that your track is recording. So if your input the mic is plugged into is. "mic1" then make sure the input of the track is "mic1". If you rule that out as the problem.. try plugging the mic into the other input and then set the input on a mono track to that.. so "mic2" or whatever.. if that works then you could have a bad input on the lexicon.. let me know how that turns out. We'll get this figured out one way or another.
    test
  9. deejayflipflop

deejayflipflop RM Vet in Turntablism FRM

Hit F4 and on INPUTS click on the preset 2 mono + stereo in. From there, setup the mono channels. Assuming,you have the mic into input 1 on your interface,set one of the mono channels to your corresponding channels on your interface. To do this,click in the area where it says DEVICE PORT and clean in the region of where it will say "INPUT". You could even delete that stereo input if you're not recording anything in stereo and just make a custom Input preset of your own to have 2 mono inputs. Click on the BUS name STEREO,right-click and remove bus. Now go to PRESETS at the top and hit the PLUS symbol and STORE. Name it something like,MONO RECORDING SETUP.

Now,open up a new session and on the left hand side where all the audio tracks are located,right-click and ADD AUDIO TRACK...now it'll give you the option to record either stereo or mono,choose mono. Now make sure your INSPECTOR is open

heres how to access it if you don't have it pulled up already.
    http://www.steinbergusers.com/images/cubase_newb/midi_inspector.jpg

Now simply click on the "IN:" and make sure its routed to your MONO IN 1 or whatever you might have named it. And of course,make sure your out is going to your INTERFACE.

Now you should be golden! Have fun!
    test
  10. WOrsthabitt

WOrsthabitt New Member

thanks for all the feedback.
    i actually reformated and re-installed Nuendo, instead of using my Cubase...
    shit works fine.
    test
  11. Mr. ROUSH

Anytime.. glad you got it worked out. pz
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.