why are you a human being and not a frog

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Shit with corn in it IRM'S BITCH, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. why are you a human being and not a frog, i.e. could you have been a frog if you had not in someway fulfilled the moment to become human, a moment in time was not secured perhaps? Did you/can you ever have potential to be a frog, or were you always human. Why were you born a human and not a frog and is there a rational thought process behimd the "decision" of what becomes what?
    test
  2. Radium

Radium f k

souls are eternal and pure, unchanging. I am what I've always been. death releases us from our bodies and allows us to see the full scope of this.
    test
  3. What is a soul? what is its relation to brain and mind?
    test
  4. Radium

Radium f k

a soul is the pure essence of something. the soul is trapped by the body and this limits its knowledge. for the soul to understand existence/reality it must escape the body.

how does a soul escape a body

I think now of this story by Edgar Allan Poe called A Descent into the Maelstrom. It was about this young guy who was a fisherman from Norway. Him and his brother were on their boat one day out for fishing. Everything was going good; the sky was pepsi blue and the water was calm and serene. Suddenly though everything got dark and a bunch of black and heavy rain clouds filled the sky. The waves started to rage around them and their boat got kicked and thrown around. The waves that carried them eventually began to swirl into a massive whirlpool and it suddenly dawned on them that they were going to be sucked down into the abyss at the center of the whirlpool. According to legend, the center point of the whirlpool descended straight into hell or at least to the other side of the world. So they were fully aware the horrible fate that was about to befall them as they circled closer and closer towards the center. His brother had already began breaking down into tears and hysteria. He himself was also beset with abject terror. Amidst this though a strange realization dawned on him as he was gazing on the amazing scene of the massive whirlpool they were being sucked into. He felt kind of guilty. He felt guilty because there he was thinking about his own misfortune and bad luck amidst the grandeur of this scene. He was surrounded by something greater than him; a scene that could have only been forged from the greatness of god himself. He found beauty in this scene. Suddenly he realized how selfish he had been being to only have been worrying about his problems in light of such a great and awesome force. He was no longer scared. Thinking clearly now, he suddenly was able to recall how lighter objects tended to float back up to the surface of water whereas heavier objects tended to sink. He realized that if he took one of the empty wooden barrels on board of the boat and rode it into the center of the whirlpool there was a chance he could survive. He tried desperately to tell his brother but his brother was so caught up in his own hysteria and madness that there was nothing he could say in time to reason with him. He watched his brother, crazed and insane and clinging feverishly to the deck of the boat, ride off into the yawning maw of the whirlpool. And with that, he jumped off the boat and rode his barrel into the abyss too. He washed up on shore sometime later. The sky had returned blue and the sea was yet again at peace. He was alive. For some reason from that day forth, the young man had a head of pure white hair. The experience had changed him forever.

What do you think happened? how do you interpret this?
    test
  5. let me go read this story - ive got poe's collection
    test
  6. Radium

Radium f k

do you have any ideas concerning my content?
    test
  7. yes and I only wish I had more time to discuss this at depth.

having this event with the whirlpool and the realisations the person reached at the time of this event do not seem very logical to me - he saw the face of death and realising there are bigger forces at work decided he was selfish for worrying about himself? Out of abandon, or an epiphany he then figured out how to to escape certain death, which was with the barrel. His friend who could not pull himself together was lost. I think this story illustrates something, but I think we have wandered from a path somehow, the grey hair although I am sure it should mean denoting much wisdom, could probably just mean he was in shock after a near death experience. The event may have saved his life, yes, but only on personal terms.

But back to the point of a soul.

i) pure essence of something, pure essence of what? Call me cynical, but im not sure I believe in a pure essence of anything, or that we may venture to truly know what a "soul" really is.
    ii)why would a soul need to be trapped and escape to see all?
    iii) you say this with such certainty of which i admire your faith
    iiii) Could "soul" not just be the strength in which you relate to yourself, and the certainty of your existence which you hope will never perish?

peace timz
    test
  8. Langford

Langford New Member

i don't believe there is a decision or a rational thought process. it's random. i don't refer to a soul, but if i had to accept some definition of it, it would be close to your iii).
    test
  9. Radium

Radium f k

peace

let me say this to explain pure essence. We will use a shape. Lets say, a triangle. the shape of a triangle has always existed. before any human ever scrawled the first crudely shaped triangle into the sand with a stick - before any physical representation of a triangle ever appeared whatsoever - the shape or form for triangles existed. this form for triangles, though immaterial, was always here, floating invisibly through the world unseen to the naked eye.

is this false?

let us now use another shape of something. something that, like triangles, possesses its own unique size, shape, and dimensions. Something like

a person

specifically, you.

the form of you, like triangles, has always existed. perhaps it was inevitable that eventually this 'form of you' would become unlocked and given a physical representation in the same way the form for triangles are unlocked and given physical representation whenever one is used today.

and like triangles, this 'form of you' has always existed and will always exist. If every triangle were to somehow be destroyed today the form for triangles would still remain and still possess the ability to become unlocked and brought to life through physical representation. Thus, the form of you is the same in this way. Your form, BBG, is eternal. Though your body may die; your soul, your form can never be destroyed.

I want you to imagine a vast immaterial realm of forms. This realm is quite possibly infinite with forms for everything a human could imagine and more. Forms for elephants, forms for bicycles, forms for trees, forms for love, forms for tragedy, forms of me, forms of you...

our souls come from this vast realm of infinity. Thus our souls (our forms) have always existed and will always exist. This is in response to your original question: the reason you are you and not a frog is because you come from the form of you and not from the form of a frog!

now, for Poe's story

I was trying to show how the body hinders our ability to see the vast immaterial realm of the forms. If we could somehow escape the prison that is our body and visit this realm we would become illuminated by the true nature of existence. Our knowledge of existence would become complete upon seeing the forms in their own complete purity.

instead though we are trapped within our bodies only capable of seeing existence through the filter of our senses. Our senses, of course, are often misleading and even at times completely false. Though I believe that there are those who can step outside of their bodies and enter the vast realm of the forms.

This is what Poe was trying to show I believe. There are some who are trapped inside of themselves, only worried about their own situations. Then there are others who can step outside of themselves and, in a sense, escape their bodies to enter the realm of the forms.
    test
  10. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

Im a human this turn because i needed to learn something that only could be taught through the journey as a human. Whether that was to understand the scope that humans are destroying gaia or possibly the simple fact that humans acts of destruction is destroying containers of souls at such a exponential speed that there arent enough for us frogs to go back into. Meaning if there were a finite number of souls out there, and in the past 500 years the population of man has grown x much and the population of other species has shrunk y much then the souls of those species need a place to rest, which ends up being in human bodies.
    test
  11. Concero

Concero ...sol

Man wtf are we talking about here?
    test
  12. Walt D1sney

Walt D1sney New Member

interesting question

i've thought about this before

but honestly, there is no answer, and no way to come up with a logical answer either...

it just is what it is, accept it,
    test
  13. Superman70

Superman70 edited

that's special.
    test
  14. snowy

Saturday Morning Cartoon Special Or Short Bus Special?
    test
  15. tomalam

tomalam New Member

this 'form of you' has always existed and will always exist. If every triangle were to somehow be destroyed today the form for triangles would still remain and still possess the ability to become unlocked and brought to life through physical representation. Thus, the form of you is the same in this way. Your form, BBG, is eternal. Though your body may die; your soul, your form can never be destroyed.
    test
  16. test
  17. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

LOL@ "I'm a human this turn..."

silly shit.
    test
  18. snowy

Hows it silly. All we really are is energy. Even to create 1 person a woman has to consume the lives/energy of thousands of animals/plants. So in essence all we are now was once something else. It would be silly not to see this basic interpretation. The same stuff that makes up the stars and planets is the same stuff which we are. We Are The Universe. People try and claim independence from everything and even if that is true it only really lasts for a 100 or so years. The facts are that dead creatures of ages past leave the soil enriched with nutrients. Nutrients which are taken advantage of in creating forests and farms which feed us. In time hence when tombstones no longer mark graveyards and coffins have detiorated into the Earth, cemetaries of our time will feed the worlds descendents. And thats what reincarnation is really about.
    test
  19. Radium

Radium f k

you've taken one key thing away though in this interpretation

you've sterilized the process down very clean and smooth but if you, the thing composed of the remnants of previous century upon century (your body, I guess), lacks self-awareness; how are you really you then?

it just seems that without that thing this take on reincarnation is really very hollow. it is an empty victory.
    test
  20. snowy

Are you 100% aware of everything you have ever done in your life, even in your dreams, your sub concious, your imagination? There is hidden truth within your everyday living that few ever truly become aware of. To dismiss it may be easy but is it right. We only have a very basic understanding of the Universe and a very narrow view with what the average human can percieve it through conventional means. One of my favorite interpretations of life is that we are the universe broken off in an attempt to understand itself. When we die we go back to the universe with what knowledge weve learned in life. When I dream i am transported to another world where anything is possible, multiple lifetimes where I experience many different things. I have not just recurring dreams but dreams which progress from one night to the next. To me this shows that there have been other lives lived that the energy which makes me think and feel did so before. I dont find this hollow in any way. To me reincarnation is more about the soul/essence/energy that we are learning cosmic lessons and less about the self-awareness of remembering what I had for breakfast.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.