who's seen 'the searchers' (1956)?

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Brahman, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

martin scorsese and steven spielberg both cite 'the searchers' as their all-time favorite film, and my western-fanatic uncle keeps telling me i need to watch that

a two-disc edition of that along with 'stagecoach', another highly regarded western, is being released next week on june 6th, and i'm going to blindly purchase both of them

have any of you seen it, and can you attest to its status of greatness?
    test
  2. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

test
  3. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i try to stay away from old school american westerns than have native americans in them, because the depiction is either disrespectful or nauseatingly corny

i'll make an exception for these two tho
    test
  4. D. MonEy25

D. MonEy25 Gifted With The Words

fuck naw....western's are boring, & drawn out....
    test
  5. Cornrow Wallace

Cornrow Wallace New Member

I saw it in my Theater Arts class a few weeks back. I was really bored. I dont know what the whole John Wayne hype is all about..he wasnt that great.
    test
  6. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

I'd say it's my favourite western - I like it much more than both TGTB&TU and Once Upon A Time In The West ;-)

The depiction of Native Indians obviously isn't great in hindsight, but I believe it was far more even and realistic than any other westerns of the same time.

John Wayne does deserve the hype, IMO. Dude's charisma oozes off the screen. Another good Wayne western is The Shootist. It's a completely different kind of film, much gentler and more about his relationships in his dying days, but it's another one of my favourite westerns.

I recorded The Wild Bunch last night, so that could be added to the list soon...
    test
  7. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

*shakes head*

you're a silly little thing when it comes to failing to see leone's omnipotence... so you saw 'ouatiw', huh? what would you rate it 1-10?

i already know 'the searchers' isn't touching either of those films... i'm just looking to see where it'll land beneath them

i haven't seen any of his films, but i can already tell john wayne doesn't deserve the hype. he's a faux badass with the most annoying and uncool facial expressions ever. so many people own john wayne. clint eastwood, lee van cleef, jason robards, charles bronson (the man with the harmonica is sick!), etc.

these will probably be the only films of his that i purchase... well, maybe "rio bravo" too, because i've heard really good things and that's one of tarantino's all-time faves.
    test
  8. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

It was just a little cheap shot... but I do definitely prefer The Searchers over either of them. I don't deny Leone's skill (though I still don't agree with you about how good he is) but his films just aren't the kind I'm really into. I could never adore them the way you do.

Yeah, I did watch it (and on DVD, too!)... I'd rate them like this:

Order of preference:

1. TGTB&TU
    2. For A Few Dollars More
    3. Once Upon A Time In The West
    4. A Fistfull of Dollars

I'd give OUATITW about 7/10 based on how much I like it, and not on how good it is 'technically'.

I'm sure all of the above^ will infuriate you, lol.

(btw, I'd rank the scores as: 1. OUATITW, 2. For A Few Dollars More, 3. TGTB&TU)

I don't think he's the best badass, but he has got a certain charisma that I really like, though I'm not sure what to call it. A broken badass maybe?

I've heard about 60 different films that are supposed to be Tarantino's favourite, lol.
    test
  9. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

the searchers is good, maybe even great. the movie has obvious problems dealing the native americans [the leader of the comanche is played by a white guy in make-up], but john ford routinely had problems with native americans ['cheyenne autumn' debacle, anyone?] other than that, the film is too long by about 10-15 minutes. I liked it, but I prefer high noon.
    test
  10. Wonk Saggin

Wonk Saggin Active Member

cant stand john wayne movies, all least the ones ive seen.

my favorite western is... the Wild Bunch!
    test
  11. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

i dont like too many westerns....but i love the ost's.....which is why i collect them...... the italians were killin shit.........

you wanna see a crazy western...watch el topo
    test
  12. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i can understand sergio leone not being "your thing", because his films do lack in the plot department

that gets overlooked though, because he was just a behemoth of beautiful filmmaking to me

i love the "everyman" feel to all of his movies... the cinematography, the iconoclastic angles and close-ups, sparse but hard-hitting dialogue, and attention to paid to everybody and everything in the film. the background characters are placed near the same level as the primary and get more amount of respect from his camera than most directors would give.

if i had the power to, i would take every western not made by leone (except 'the proposition' and sam peckinpah's films), reinvent them with everything being left the same except he would have been the director behind the camera... and ennio morricone as the score composer... oh, and lee van cleef would have a role somewhere, even if it were just a cameo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    test
  13. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

wrd

str8 KILLIN shit!

they must have had superior and more thorough art teachers in their elementary schooling
    test
  14. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i decided to pass on 'the searchers' and 'stagecoach' and save my $$$ for something i'm more sure about... i'll give em a rental

oh riz, i forgot to ask you something about 'ouatiw'. what did you think of the score? it's the best i've heard from morricone so far. the main theme, harmonica's theme. *shakes head* breathtaking...
    test
  15. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

Yep, it's absolutely my favourite Morricone score and one of my favourites from anybody. The main theme is possibly my favourite movie song ever, and while not as elegant, Cheyenne's theme is addictive.
    test
  16. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

cheyenne's theme is great... i love how it accompanies his final scene

if you love the main theme of 'ouatiw' you're gonna love the main theme and cockey's theme from 'once upon a time in america' as well if you haven't heard them already. it's so hard to decide among the three that i actually go back and forth over which i like better.

the movie itself is fantastic too, and i have a feeling you'd probably like it more than the spag westerns since they don't seem to be your thing. leone was coming off a 15-year break from directing, but he still had his magic touch. for this piece he went more mainstream, paid less attention to style, and more on telling the story that's based on a novel. it's 4 hours long though. i had to watch half of it one day and half another.

peep the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liOydks4eN0&search=sergio leone trailer

a shame they didn't put the main theme on it
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.