Who would you fear the most . . .

Discussion in 'Lipstick Gallery' started by Yahunyahti, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brahmio Leone

Brahmio Leone C'era Una Volta...

nice post, matches

hattori hanzo is the only name i knew on that list, and that's because i've seen kill bill

what samurai literature have you read?

edit: i wonder if one of the reasons for why samurai are not well known individually is the fact that english speakers have trouble pronouncing the names... collectivism and service were strictly stressed in their code as well

who are some famous and well-known british knights who lived under the code of chivalry?
    test
  2. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Calm down. It's not even an argument. Or a disagreement. It was simply a question. Maybe stop being so defensive.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm ignorant about native americans and many other things.
    I never put up a front and claimed to be an expert on anything that I can think of. If I wanted to pretend I was, it's not hard to go to google or wikipedia.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=famous native americans

And I've heard a lot of those names, but I never knew whether they were warriors or what they did.
    test
  3. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Here's a ton more.

I remain ignorant about anything other than their names because I'm not interested in reading about them right now.

http://www.axel-jacob.de/main_chief.html
    lol@ "Man Afraid of his horses"
    test
  4. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

Which Samurai was Tom Cruise?

That's because Native American film makers are more interested in showing Natives in contemporary society rather then keeping them in the past. I'd rather watch films depicting Natives in contemporary society..
    test
  5. Pyro Tecknik

Pyro Tecknik Harbinger of DOOM

really? i would have thought that you would be able to contribute more than i on the subject, actually.

as for samurai literature, nothing in particular...mostly through documentaries and films( movie and extras), as well as comics/anime/manga/graphic novels(which are loosely based on real life accounts, obviously romanticized/dramatized for their respective mediums. definitely a great starting point, for me at least.), and the internet(to add and broaden on what i already know...as well as gathering further references. the internet has been invaluable, i will not lie.)

the two books that i would like to buy/read and will soon enough are Musashi's, "The Book of Five Rings"....which is compared to Sun Tzu's, The Art of War...and his biography, 'The Lone Warrior', by William Scott Wilson

i'm sure that's part of the reason. it's also on the other side of the world(language, religion, politics, culture, ect, it's all very different). unlike native american(key word) history, anything japanese was rarely ever mentioned in school(except pearl harbor)...why do we(americans) need to know anything about the history of the japanese samurai?

the two that i first knew about were musashi and gensai, as i dug deeper into their history, i found the others...who were allies, rivals, samurai that they encountered in one way or the other. it just went on from there.

he was the one cutting down this perfidious imperial.
    [​IMG]

hey, i enjoyed smoking signals and thunderheart as mush as the next guy, but i was just making a point...or rather, contradicting az's, 'if it wasn't for hollywood' comment.
    test
  6. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

None of these people are known around the world.
    Maybe you know of them. That's besides the point.
    test
  7. Pyro Tecknik

they are known around the world. you are not the world, don't use your own ignorance as a measuring stick.

rouroni kenshin(hitokiri battousai) is immensely popular throughout the world. it's known that Gensai Kawakami is the inspiration and real life source for Kenshin.
    the other four are known because of him, and their own exploits. Izo having two films, Hideo Gosha's Hitokiri(1969) and Takashi Miike's, Izo(2004).

Miyamoto Mushashi...36 films and counting, a television series and the model for kyuzo in akira kurosawa's Seven Samurai and many other popular fictional characters in comics, anime, video games, ect.

the same goes for the rest. the point is that they're known around the world, just because you haven't heard of them, that doesn't mean the rest of the world hasn't. i'm sure more people know about them than famous native americans...as much as they're referenced in modern pop culture(and not just strictly in Asia).

whereas....

most of the people in this country alone are clueless about the people you mentioned in this list....you think the rest of the world gives a shit?? fuck no. most people in this country only barely recognize some of those names...and know absolutely nothing about their history and their roles in it, despite being part of US History.

so please, try not to stress the popularity factor too much, pal.
    test
  8. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

I really thought Thunderheart was kinda blah, but it's kinda wierd you bring up Thunderheart since the guy who wrote that also wrote a Samurai movie recently which is getting made..

Skins though is superior to Smoke Signals I think. Might also want to checkout Pow Wow Highway or the Business of Fancy Dancing
    test
  9. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

They are not known around the world. You are not the world, don't use your own knowledge as a measuring stick.
    test
  10. Superman70

Superman70 edited

I use my dick as a measuring stick
    test
  11. BeEgEe

BeEgEe El Warm Shot

terrible comeback.

fact=samurai are more popular and were more feared.
    test
  12. double ML

double ML Guest

test
  13. Pyro Tecknik

what samurai movie is that?

skins is already in my queue, i'll check out pow wow highway....i don't know about 'the business of fancy dancing' though, doesn't sound too promising.

lol way to prove absolutely nothing.
    test
  14. Leila Night

Leila Night efrain,you're my one&only

test
  15. Ethan Albright

Ethan Albright New Member

How about....

[​IMG]

AN INDIAN NINJA!!!!!!

OMG!
    test