Who will be the fighter to beat Anderson in the UFC?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by DahStoryTella, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

Your opinion, and why.
    test
  2. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

Still waiting for him to fight belfort.. I think he's fast enough with his standup to keep silva on his toes
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  3. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

Nobody standing, and certainly not Belfort. never bet on a guy to beat Anderson that has been countered by Tito Ortiz. I love Belfort, but people serious overrate his stand up. His flurries are fast, but reckless. He doesn't really one hit ko people unless they have suspect chins in the first place.

Maia stands about as good a chance as anyone he's going to fight. An aggressive BJJ guy like that would be the best bet. Someone that will happily pull guard just to be grappling. I think people underestimate anderson against wrestlers, as he remains pretty active on his back. It'd take a much larger lay and pray guy to keep him down.

Shogun could beat him. Not in a pure stand up fight, but he could live on his feet and whoop anderson on the ground, potentially securing a knee barl
    test
  4. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

Shogun/Silva would be ill.

What you think about Chael Sonnen's chances against Silva? @ Sabbath
    test
  5. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

I'm sorry, but what fight did I miss where Belfort was getting countered all the time?

And who cares if he doesn't one hit KO people, his method worked fairly well against your boy at his peak (who has one of the most solid chins in the history of MMA).

Also, he could've been on the Brazilian olympic boxing team.

How you can say he's overrated is beyond me.

Like I said, when Silva and Belfort meet, I'll gladly put everything on Belfort...
    test
  6. Bret_Hart

Bret_Hart New Member

chael sonnen...only a pure wrestler can beat silva...sonnen will be the guy
    test
  7. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

agreed
    test
  8. DisFunction

DisFunction New Member

nobody except.. james mowfukin toney...

but dana would never let that happen.. he kno better..
    test
  9. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

^ actually, nobody will stand with toney most likely. they'll just take him down and submit him since he only knows boxing.
    test
  10. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

Who said all the time? He went all Vitor on Tito at one point in their fight and paid for it. If Tito can do it, Anderson can do it 1000 times better.

I've just yet to see a reasonable breakdown that favors Vitor in this fight. It's like everyone expects the bell to ring, Vitor flurries, Vitor wins.

c'mooooon
    test
  11. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

Dangerous thing about Chael Sonnen is he has no delusions about being a well-rounded fighter. He comes to wrestle.

But he has pretty poor submission defense and relatively poor control once it gets to the ground. Lot of room for Anderson to get him in a triangle or make something happen standing up.
    test
  12. .:Pain:.

He lost a split decision to Tito (which I thought Vitor won, but he is my favorite fighter and I'm pretty biased towards him). To say he was getting countered by Tito is ridiculous. And to say Tito was able to "weather the storm" is also ridiculous. Tito had literally the most perfect defense for Vitor, granted (blocking style, not dodging style), but he still had trouble defeating Vitor.

And yes, that is pretty much the way the fight will go. Bell rings, Anderson dances and dodges, makes one error by dodging straight back, and pulls a Wanderlai...
    test
  13. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

My dude, why do you keep quoting me on things I've never typed?

All I said was that Tito was able to counter Vitor. I think it only happened once, but I do remember it happening.

The only reasonable scenario I see for Vitor beating Anderson is if he goes fights him like he did Gilbert Yvel. In case you haven't seen the fight, all he did was lay and pray.
    test
  14. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

test
  15. .:Pain:.

As in, he the storm (Vitor's flurry) was weathered enough for Tito to counter.

I didn't mean it as a quote, I meant it as quoting a euphemism. And that's the first time I did that, so I don't know how I "keep" (meant it literally that time) doing it.

I have seen it. And to say he isn't capable of good jui-jitsu is an understatement (I'm assuming you meant that by saying all he does is lay and pray), watch his fight against Southworth.

And I've seen that fight to know enough about what you're talking about.

Vitor should've dropped him in that flurry, not many in MMA are as good at boxing-blocking as Tito. Tito took some damage from it, countered with a decent straight that didn't injure Vitor, just caught him off-balance so it looked like it hurt more than it did. Let's not forget that Tito does have a pretty damn solid chin (at least, he did during the period that fight occurred).

Vitor, as I said before, should've won that fight in my eyes...
    test
  16. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

hey... getting rocked, getting caught off balance, it's all legit. Dude definitely don't wanna get caught off balance by Anderson.

don't take any of this as Vitor hate. I love the guy and think he's def top 3 MW material, but I do honestly think his chances of beating anderson are exaggerated.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.