Who watched UFC 90? (videos)

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

test
  2. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Oh, and Spoilers, obviously.

Boo@ the main event. Was getting interesting up until the injury.
    test
  3. I was real interested.. Cote was obviously prepared for Silva.. It was a big let down..

Alves looked good.. Kosckeck's chin looked good.. lol.. It was a solid card.. Undercard was good too..
    test
  4. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

yeah what happened exactly? did he tear his ACL? thats what it looked without commentating i couldnt tell for sure
    test
  5. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

That's what they said during commentating, but I haven't heard anything for sure.

I thought Cote looked pretty doomed against Silva. Silva was just playing it smart and picking his spots.
    test
  6. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Alves and Koscheck are both great. I wasn't too sure about Josh until that fight. He took it late and still brought the goods.
    test
  7. *Iceman*

*Iceman* New Member

The card was mediocre to begin with, then it just wasn't really too good after the Sherk/Griffin fight, other than the knockout. Thank God for copious amounts of ganja...
    test
  8. Disraeli

Disraeli p4p the best

sherk/griffin was doooooope.
    test
  9. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I think that fight showed how to beat Silva. The fighter will have to be faster than him and a counter puncher. If anyone fits that description, he will have a great shot. I finally saw Silva's weaknesses in that fight. I was in shock.
    test
  10. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Silva wasn't in trouble even once.

I honestly think he just wanted to prove he could last more than 2 rounds. He even backed off a couple times when he shouldn't have.
    test
  11. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

In trouble no, but it was clear that he couldn't just go in and destroy Cote like he has every other striker. I believe the reason for this is that it is the first time since he has been in the UFC that he has faced someone that is faster than him. When you go against someone quicker and they are looking to counter instead of being the aggressor, it is clear that Silva is not going to be able to destroy that type of fighter like he would any other fighter.
    test
  12. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

“There are many people saying I was disrespecting Cote, but this is absolutely not true,” Silva told Sherdog.com. “My game plan since the beginning was fight five rounds, inducing him to commit mistakes and capitalize on that during the first three rounds and look for the knockout during the fourth and fifth rounds. It was working, and the biggest proof of that is that I almost didn’t waste any blows. I connected with a couple of good punches and knees, but unfortunately he got hurt and the fight was over. This is not my fault.”
    test
  13. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I don't think Cote's faster, I just thought And was moving slower than usual. Silva was weaving with every punch so nothing really connected, and when he did win exchanges you could tell Cote got hit.

Only thing about Cote's performance that really impressed me was his catching of Anderson's kicks, which he was unable to do anything with because he wasn't fast enough to avoid Silva twisting out of it.
    test
  14. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I do agree with you a little bit, though. I believe a younger, faster, hungrier striker that probably isn't even as precise as Anderson could beat him. Besides the fact that he's aging, he also appears to be getting a little too cocky. I'd hate to see And become Roy Jones, but he might.
    test
  15. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I don't think it would have much to do with cockiness. I think with all strikers when they fight someone faster they will struggle, the only way to counter this is if the faster guy is the aggressor and you can sit back and pick your spots (that's how B Hop has lasted this long), but if you run into another counter puncher that is also faster, then you will lose or if you do get the decision it will be the most boring fight of the night.
    test
  16. Machilles

Machilles If you want a God

Still don't think Cote was faster or stronger than any of And's previous opponents.

And was telegraphing kicks so much that Cote's corner blurted it, and he was trying to show off and be fancy yet Cote still didn't hurt him.

Only problem I had with Silva was his coasting to a later round. Why prove you can go the distance if you don't need to? All that does is piss off fans.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.