Who here is Atheists if any? And why do you not belive in God?

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Thrizzy, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

For the life of me I can't see any compelling arguments for God not existing though we obviously don't know what God is or isn't.
    test
  2. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

i consider myself agnostic cuz i dont know shit.

but if i had to argue for an athiest my main 2 arguments would be

a. supernatural magical shit doesnt happen. none of us have ever seen it in our lifetimes (sorry people but magic is just tricks, psychics arent real, and jesus did not walk on water) so to tell me theres some guy in the sky who intelligently designed all this shit doesnt add up. so really it depends on how you define god. im agnostic cuz i simply explain god as all the questions out there in the universe that cannot be answered or fully explained like why and how people and everything exist or the theory of inifinite etc

b. people say they see too much shit in their lives to make them believe in a god. but the fact is every single day of my life im hit with random, mundane, random ass coincidences that hold no bearing on the universe and i know god didnt have anything to do with cuz why would he? so the fact is mundane coincidences happen every single day so why cant epic important coincidences also happen on a grand scale?
    test
  3. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

Wouldn't the fact that life apparently just arose out of nowhere be supernatural?

I mean when and where in nature do you ever see life just spontaneously occur?
    test
  4. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

It wasnt exactly spontaneous. Took like 500 MILLION years of the Earth on slow cook to even get basic bacteria to appear.
    test
  5. snowy

Its like when you're making soup/stew.

You get a pot (Earth) get some water/stock (oceans) and gather up ingredients like spices, veggies, meat (elements, amino acids, protiens) and something that didnt exist before like the soup (life) appears when your done cooking.
    test
  6. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

Oh right so now just this one time bacteria appeared out of nowhere?

Never has it happened since, but I should believe it did that one time.

Life doesn't just come from nowhere, no matter how long of a time line.
    test
  7. snowy

The theory is basically,

1. The early Earth had a chemically reducing atmosphere.
    2. This atmosphere, exposed to energy in various forms, produced simple organic compounds ("monomers").
    3. These compounds accumulated in a "soup", which may have been concentrated at various locations (Shorelines, oceanic vents etc.).
    4. By further transformation, more complex organic polymers— and ultimately life— developed in the soup.

So certain exact makeup of the atmosphere allowed chemical/electrical interaction with the ocean/primordial soup to create life. The reason it hasnt happened since is that the makeup of the atmosphere has changed, specifically the presence of oxygen. The Miller-Urey and Joan Oro experiments have shown that under a "reducing atmosphere" the creation of amino & nucleic acids, the building blocks of life, are possible. So everything needed for that bacteria to form was there. I dont see how that can be viewed as coming out of nowhere.
    test
  8. Wario954

Wario954 New Member

What do you define as supernatural? I mean honestly when you think about the way the world works it's pretty amazing. The birth of a child from a microscopic sperm to a 8 pound baby to me is amazing among other things. It has an explanation because of science but who's to say science is not supernatural. Why do we even have feelings and emotions? We feel good or guilty about something we have done just because? I used to think because of the fact that all answers couldn't be answered by science meant there was a God. I now feel everything would have to be possible and have an explanation but whatever it is was created by God. Now is He in the sky watching over us? I don't know but I think that really comes from what we were taught growing up. Maybe God is in us. One thing I really don't have faith in is a religion. How can I? How can I choose a religion when if I do I'm saying all other religions are false? Take Catholicism for example, if you go to any church the picture they have for Jesus is of a white man and blue eyes. In the bible it says no such thing. Based on the bible he would have been middle eastern looking with dark skin and hair like wool. I've heard numerous places it's because michaelangelo or one of those old painters painted Jesus how they wanted them to look. Don't know anything about that but it sounds like a big contradiction to me from the bible to the church. I seriously could talk about this all day because there are just so many religions and different variations of them and even religions copying from each other which is even more interesting. Really whatever it is we call "life" its probably beyond our comprehension and even if you have trouble buying into religion your emotions and feelings should guide you to live the right way.
    test
  9. Wario954

Wario954 New Member

Now think about all you just stated. All of that can be considered supernatural but we call it science. It's all in the name.
    test
  10. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

That's not a fact, and the evidence doesn't show that life apparently just arose out of nowhere. And no you couldn't conclude that was supernatural, because if it can be shown that there is a natural way that something could arise out of nothing (which has been shown can happen, granting you understand the limits that would be applied on using the expression to come from nothing) then there would be a significant enough reason that nothing supernatural need be the cause of life. Nothing supernatural has been scientifically proven ever. Many things that never had natural explations have been later explained through scientific theories and such based completely on natural phenomena that we know exists naturally or in theory.

You don't. I don't have reason to believe that life just spontaneously occurred, or that life just came from nothing, at least not in the way you mean it. Now since you think that would qualify as supernatural, you have just shown me that I have no reason to believe in a supernatural cause to life. That seems opposite of what you like to accomplish here though.
    test
  11. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i'm simply not convinced in this 'god' idea, to be honest.

i see religion as a power structure, as something that was created by man to control other men. the idea of god is directly taken from religious dogma, so i don't see why god should be the default answer to explaining existence, unless you assert that the religious dogma was accurate or credible in any way.

think about where the idea of god really comes from and what it means. basically humans assert that because everything is just so complex and so hard to explain, there must be a purposeful and conscious creator. because when we see the fruits of our own labor, we have noticed that we're capable of more organized and structured creations than what could have come from what we deem as chaos.

basically we've projected our own perceived 'greatness' onto the cosmos. we have declared that only a conscious, willful being could be responsible for such an elaborate reality. surely a coincidence that this explanation itself is a creation of man; another willful, conscious being. but is it fact or simply wishful thinking?

all of these complex manifestations of the universe which leave us in awe could just as likely be guided by underlying principles to existence rather than a willful creation.

in fact a willful creator simply doesn't make a whole lot of sense. it's sort of a wild fantasy of sorts. you say we can't know what god is, i think this is a good point. but if we can't know what god is, how can we definitively assert that god exists? i think a more legitimate argument to make, based on what you've said, is that existence has some higher meaning or explanation to it. and maybe it does. but the belief in god is unfounded, outdated, and in all likelihood, probably wrong.
    test
  12. snowy

Supernatural is something that defies nature and logic to me.

So uh... No.
    test
  13. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

supernatural is actually a false concept, imo. it is based on the idea that nature is limited and god is above nature. so if something out of the ordinary happens, it can be classed as 'supernatural.' yet we dont take the time to consider that perhaps our understanding of nature is merely limited, instead we shift the blame onto nature itself.

if god is the creator of the natural universe then everything natural is merely a manifestation of the will of the lord. god is nature. god is not supernatural. any point to the contrary implies 'nature' is not actually derived from 'god,' nor vice versa. which really renders god quite irrelevant to any coherent debate.
    test
  14. Wario954

Wario954 New Member

You didn't get my point. Your caught up on the word and the definition. When something happens "naturally" you accept it as that because it can be explained or proof can be shown. When something happens "supernaturally" it can not be explained. What if there is no such thing as supernatural? Maybe God made all of the universe in such a way that it could be explained through something we call nature or science. For example, logically we figure the universe started with a big bang but maybe God created the universe using this method. Because it has a logical explanation we say it's science and not God.

My point is we expect if God is real we will see something we can't explain but in actuality everything could have been made in such a way that a logical explanation can be made.
    test
  15. snowy

Ok well that line of thinking is why in recent years I'd consider myself an Agnostic more than an Athiest for the same reason as TheRooster, I dont know shit. As the God you are describing has nothing to do with the God religions describe. As well as that explanation of God creating everything with natural means is just as likely as everything having occurred naturally and God never existed.
    test
  16. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

actually witches and some phycics can conjure demons. They wont be dead relatives but they CAN do it. Some of em. And the miricales ur talking about in the bible have many natural explinations. Miricale in timing none the ls
    test
  17. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

test
  18. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    test
  19. Thrizzy