who here actually practices mma?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Halloween Jack, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Heavens Demon

test
  2. alt-mode

alt-mode E4

test
  3. I train a few guys in boxing.. I mess around in the gym with other diciplines.. But my back cant handle too much ground game..
    test
  4. hiphop4govener2

hiphop4govener2 Active Member

Not @ the moment. Should be though.
    test
  5. KriminaL

KriminaL Guest

Im going to go MMA on your face jack,

no homo.
    test
  6. xX_NASTY_Xx

xX_NASTY_Xx Guest

back injury would let me.... i gotta start taking steroids or something jk
    test
  7. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

i don't do mma yet.

i can't stand everybody heading into an mma gym and training freestyle mma to jump in and start fighting 6 months to a year in. it really annoys me when i have to watch such inexperienced people trying to start fighting so soon, only training in a general mma class.

oh, and i am a bjj blue belt, sponsored by brazil combat. chea.
    test
  8. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

you cant put a time frame on natural ability

some people have amazing fighting instincts and all the training in the world depending on the discipline and style wont matter

i consider myself a pretty tough dude, i took almost 2 yrs of kickboxing and did some submission wrestling at a local gym

in terms of street , i used to blast people until i started training, then i overthought everything from punch combos to takedowns , forgetting that im not in a cage and just rip away at someone

depends what youre going for, id probably do well in a local show, i kinda liked my natural ability before programming my head with 3-6 strike combos, the one thing i can say training did was make my technical striking MUCH more quick than it was and crisp

but in terms of people out there training...im of the belief that you can become good training for a long time in a discipline or two but there is no substitute for instinct and god given ability
    test
  9. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I'm considering trying my hand at it. I've studied Muay Thai since I was 6, and since Bruce Lee is a hero of mine, I've been into checking out what other disciplines have to offer for a long time as well.

I wouldn't want to half ass it, though. I know I need some wrestling and jiu jitsu training before I'd feel confident about it. I wish I would've wrestled in school.
    test
  10. ONEateSEVEN

ONEateSEVEN yo yo yo

id end up with a record of 2-83 adn shit ill admit lol. i can fight on my feet but i aint tryna become no pretzel
    test
  11. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

well yes of course there are the naturals. but they are not the majority. most of the time people watch ufc, think "hey i wanna do that!" and aren't patient enough, train for a year and jump right in and get their ass kicked. believe me i see this ALLLLLLLLLLLL the time. its really sad. of course some people are naturally good. i didn't say NOBODY can jump in a cage with minimal training and do well, but most people can't and to me its an insult to the sport.

in fact just this past weekend i saw a perfect example:
    3 weeks ago i went to my friends gym he just opened up to help him teach. there was one kid there, really nice kid, i was showing some basic basic stuff in class, and i picked up that he was brand new to bjj (he had some tkd experience but ground game was non existent). later i rolled with everyone and when it came to his turn, it was confirmed he has absolutely no idea what he was doing. thats fine, everyone starts from somewhere. no problem.

then fast forward to last weekend, that friend of mine is fighting and i go to watch. but then i see that new kid jump in the ring, im like wtf? this kid is fighting already? he gets taken down, he got his ass kicked and tapped out in about 30 seconds by a guy with minimal bjj experience. it was an ugly fight. then he got pissed off and stormed out of the place.

that really made me angry. if you are new and want to test your skills, spar someone. don't jump in an event and expect to do well. thats giving a bad name to the sport. you know?
    test
  12. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

yes

thats just absurd

and it fucks up the real importance of records

you can accumulate wins against dudes like that and make a really decieving record out of bums

if i were ever gonna compete i would have started taking it seriously long before now

i just like to watch, train and spar for fun and exercise, and use it if someone ever pisses me off on the streets
    test
  13. Halloween Jack

that's wassup, man. i boxed for about 8 years and practiced some other combat arts too before i joined the Marines, they opened my eyes to the mma scene... now, it's an everyday ritual for me. when i come home from iraq i'ma try some exhibition matches. not anything serious, just some local gym shit to get some experience.
    test
  14. Halloween Jack

bring it on lee. bring it on.
    test
  15. exothermic

exothermic Well-Known Member

2months going strong and loving it
    test
  16. BeEgEe

BeEgEe El Warm Shot

test
  17. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Good post, and yeah, I see this shit as well. Really, just about any local MMA card.

I take solace in the fact that if they accumulate a decent record beating their jabroni buddies, they'll probably eventually face someone that's been training his whole life and get publicly squashed.

like this kimbo shit... just give it time. After he beats everyone from the old folk's home, they gotta stick him in with some decent people.
    test
  18. Halloween Jack

kimbo's like mma's iron mike.

i have to agree with ben though. i've heard a lot of traditional martial arts gurus scoffing at mma practicioners, stating that we're just glorified street brawlers with minimal skill. reason being is because of the very thing he brought up. no talent ass niggas hoppin on the mat thinking they're the next st. pierre n shit n get their manhood stripped.

i think mixed martial artists deserve as much respect as the next man in the martial arts community, but just like any other "martial sport", one needs to know and understand the customs and courtesys before one decides to test his mettle in it...

too bad not everyone can comprehend this.
    test
  19. I agree that too many cats think they are the next Chuck Liddell.. I am a pretty good boxer.. But thats all. I would not want to be on the ground with some who has been taking BJJ for 6 months.. lol..

btw.. This may sound like useless bragging but I trained Junie Browning from this season of TUF about a year and half ago.. He is going to be one of the Fav's IMO.. His boxing is still in its infancy(probably because I was his first real boxing coach) lol... But his Ground Game is good..
    test
  20. Halloween Jack

pfffft... showoff...

lol j/k. good shit, homie.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.