Who else thinks the mma scoring system needs to be changed?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by SeeSon, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I think the way the current system is done it, is in a way, making bjj almost irrelevant. What I mean is that wrestling and lay and pray are favored instead of having someone in guard and going after sub attempts. Everyone has to have knowledge of bjj, but it seems like, because of the current scoring system it is better to be a great wrestler than a great bjj player.

I would personally like to see no points rewarded to a guy that just takes down his opponent and does minimal damage from the top. That is the eqivalent of stalling imo. The two fights that come to kind where lay and pray should have led to the fighter losing because he did nothing while on top are: GSP-PENN I and Hendo-Franklin.

Thoughts?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  2. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

i agree. First off i think a takedown should be worth already what it is BUT if an opponent gets up with out the assistance of the Ref it should be worth the same amount as the takedown. Stirkes from the bottom should be worth the same as strikes from the top if the same damage is being done.

Also overall damage needs to count for more some how. imagine if the Rich Dan fight had played threw exactly how you saw it but with out the breaks. like just one continuous fight. Rich would have won that hands down no questions asked but because Dan can lay on top of Rich for 2 minutes a round doing nothing he can still a couple rounds. BLAH.
    test
  3. Big K

Big K U Wanna Battle?

Sounds like you want old PRIDE rules. PRIDE rules weren't on the 10-point must system, and attempts to finish the fight and damage were the MUCH more important than positioning in judge's decision. DREAM uses the same rules for judging, so just watch the next event in March.
    test
  4. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

i think damage should go into play. but strikes from the top will always do more damage than strikes from the bottom. but i do agree, if the guy pulling guard goes after numerous submissions and stays active, he should be considered winning over some who lays 'n doesn't do any damage...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  5. Heat Devil

Heat Devil Macastopheles

There are definitely pros and cons when it comes to both systems, but the way I look at lay n pray is that it's the job of the guy on bottom to not be down there. Shouldn't have been taken down in the first place, but since he is, he should know how to get up, set up submissions, sweep, etc.

But I do personally favor the pride rules, yes. Maybe a 10 point must system for rounds, and then another 10 point must system for performance througout the fight. Of course that'd just lead to more draws rather than decisions, now that I think about it. In which case extra rounds could be thrown in, but we know nothing like this will happen.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.