White privilege , overt racism and closet racism in battle rap.

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by 1derful, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar Active Member

that whole idea is flawed though racism does not require oppression nor does oppression require racism

racism is being hateful towards a group based only on skin or racial background

oppression occurs constantly based upon not only race but also largely religion or gender
    test
  2. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

Wow.

I remembered when I started talking about the racism on RM (and in battle rap in general) and people were trying to tell me it was in my own mind. Well, this thread proves it. When you have to use race to attack another person, you're really just saying that you don't have an argument. Good thread exposing the racists, especially that mouthwash guy.
    test
  3. bobbylight

bobbylight Well-Known Member

lol, because it is funny.
    test
  4. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

This is not right.
    test
  5. Admiral Ackbar

alright well if that's what it meant that makes sense then not what these other guys are saying
    test
  6. roc55555

roc55555 Well-Known Member

test
  7. Admiral Ackbar

can you tell me what is right then I mean I'm totally open to admitting I'm wrong but I have to know how I'm wrong first
    test
  8. CringeWorthy

CringeWorthy Returning video tapes

Yeaaaaa racism's dope>>>>>>
    test
  9. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

Someone already explained it, but while a minority can show racial bias against a white person, it's really difficult to classify that as racism because racism is structural, it exists not only in people but in societal institutions as well. While I'm not as militant to say that a black person can never be racist to a white person, what most people think of when they think of racism is not actually racism. Racism is a specific system that works in a certain way. A black person getting sentenced longer for the same crime as a white is racism. A black person taking your iPhone and calling you a cracker is not necessarily racist although it is racially based and objectively, a really bad thing.
    test
  10. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

Think of it this way, how come people don't throw around the term "reverse sexism"? Can a female be sexist against a male? How many times have to ever heard someone refer to a female as sexist?
    test
  11. JackDeuce

JackDeuce Well-Known Member

If everyone accused you of being racist, is it possible that we were? It's very difficult to be introspective because of the bias which comes with the knowledge of our intentions. You may not mean it racist, but it clearly comes off that way. You do not extend this to others because you couldn't possibly know their intentions. Also why take pride in something you had no say in? If pride is to be understood as simply not accepting the prevailing mindset about your inherent inferiority, then I'm all for it. If you mean it as a step further and to assert that you have the philosophy that being born with a skin color or a particular ancestry is an accomplishment, I suggest you find greater accomplishments. You are known by people around the world who you don't know, you have had some degree of success in something you (likely) enjoy doing, you were entrusted to run a branch of a national company. These to me all strike me as greater accomplishments than being the product of two native canadians fucking.

If you don't wanna celebrate holidays that's on you. I'm not a particular fan of Easter as I'm an atheist. I don't expect people to care when I tell them that though, it's your choice what you choose to observe. I don't care, and truthfully nobody else does either. As for your main, substantive point, I think I should get over shit that happened to me last week. Shit that happened to other people, by other people? I don't think you should get over it, I think it was never yours to get over. You assert a vicarious blame and a vicarious victimhood, like we are not all autonomous creatures, but rather cast into roles reanimating faults of years past. We do not get to co-opt someone else's pain as our own simply to fit our vicitimization narrative.
    As for the ancestors argument, I'm genuinely curious if my Ukrainian ass is included. Given the prevailing theory that Native North Americans originated from ethnic groups similar to current day Mongols, shouldn't you be apologizing for Genghis Khan's conquest of Slavic countries? Should I be holding a grudge towards Georgians because Stalin's regime starved 10 mil in a year? Russians? Communists? Or do I have to realize that I have no idea what living through Holodomor was like? I didn't know the feeling of not eating so my children could. I never understood what it was like to eat the child down the street so you could live. I'm not brave enough to face that. To co-opt their struggle as my own is an egregious insult to those who lived through that. An egregious insult to my own ancestors.

If you wanna get offended go ahead. Lots of people can give it but can't take it (myself included if I'm being honest). Welcome to the world, c'est la vie.

Agreed. There is just racism. It is not subjective, nor is it contingent upon any external factors.

Your general point seems to be that racism is a white's only club (irony anyone?). I'm sorry Mr. Manik, you don't get to change what words mean. The definition of racism as I said, is not contingent upon outside factors. That includes your conception of it. If racist bars aren't funny, but rather racist, that applies across the board. And if Marvwon can stand in front of Pat Stay and listen to him disrespect his real dead brother, and real dead friend, I think most reasonable people can ignore some cliche jokes. If not, don't battle. Simple. And as for classy, it's battle rap....nottt exactly high brow entertainment.

translation: "If you get mad at the same things I do, you're intelligent. If you don't, you're a racist. " And I'm not one to do this, as I'm an attrocious speller, but you mispelled intelligent. If it were any other word, it's like, who cares? But, yeah

I thought you came off as an immature loser in the Illipsis threads. I think the native shit was uncalled for, and placed blame on a community, rather than a bad representitive of it. You being an immature loser (or acting like it, afterall, we've all done things that make us look bad in retrospect) is a function of you, not of your race. I know cool natives, and I know fuck up, asshole ones. Roughly the same proportion as any other demographic. RM takes a loss there, but it's RM, we're troll infested. Laugh it off or avoid the site all together, we're not really gonna change. Hell I'm gonna have a bunch of people trolling this calling me a loser for writing this response (totally fair in this case, I must confess)
    test
  12. JackDeuce

I think you may be right on this. I have no idea about editing of these battles (I didn't watch the spyte battle) but in general, this is true. The angry minority fits the stereotype that people have constructed. That's fucked up, and I think your strongest point. Honestly, who doesn't love a good meltdown, if you told me that was in the battle maybe I'd watch. I'll co-sponsor a petition to have the footage released if you like?

Because people have accepted pre-ordained racial roles. Why did I "want to be black" when I played basketball and listened to rap music? Why is arcane a wigger? More often than not, these labels are given by members of their own race when people are not conforming to society's notion of what that demographic is. This is not constrained to race. Ask male cheerleaders how often the word "faggot" is hurled at them. Female athletes are manly. Male's who enjoy figure skating are feminine.

But aside from this. Hoffa comes off as very intelligent to me, he doesn't get this criticism. QP's a more intelligent writer than both of them, he doesn't. It's something about them that gives this off. I think it's probably either their voice or lack of charisma. FWIW, I like D-lor as a battler and Bulletz is hit and miss, but at his best is excellent.

Not quite sure if you noticed, but the US mindset is quiteeeeeee insular. They're not big on understanding cultural nuances. Mexico is a large latino population right next to the US, and the vast majority of Latinos in the southern states are Mexican. It's the same thing with Laotians or Vietnamese being referred to as Chinese or Japanese. Canada picks up on this because it's inundated with American culture.

In summation, and to make a long story long, good try. This strikes me as a first year political science student coming to the realization that there are some fucked up things in the world. Your points are good until held to scrutiny. You seem to have a massochistic desire to be victimized. It's like you've internalized this hatred and aggression and are looking for a half-baked philosophical rationale to put behind it. You have tunnel vision looking for signs of oppression and have confirmation bias in that everything you see which confirms your point you accentuate, and all that weaken it, you ignore. I've never been so inclined as to wish for victimization, I will never understand that.
    This could have been halfway interesting if you chose to address how a historical history of racism has resulted in a stratified society, wherein people have been trapped into a constant downward spiral unable to escape. You could take a quasi-marxist approach and conclude that the inherent trend towards monopoly intrinsic to capitalism has made it so that those historically oppressed will never be able to obtain the materials necessary to end that oppression? But nope. You went with "white people are racist cuz small pox blankets" You're not Tyrone Houston, you're not Courtney Houston, but they're on OTBVA now, and RM hasn't had a good ol race fight in a while. So good try, but you're not at that level yet.

Also if you threatened Illipsis over saying he's not a fan of yours, I can only imagine what you'd do to me for this! Or maybe the fact I'm like double Illipsis' size may make you be not as big on that one. Either way, chill sir. Enjoy life. And if by some cosmic chance we happen to run into each other, I'll gladly introduce myself with a smile and a handshake, so keep your camera rolling :)
    test
  13. Admiral Ackbar

alright I'm ready to except that if that is the true definition of racism and I've been wrong but then how do we define racism on a person to person scale

to use your example a black person steals a white person iPhone calls them cracker that's not racist but yes is a bad thing

a white person take a black persons iPhone calls him a monkey is that racist or just an immoral and asshole thing to do
    test
  14. r00k_is_rap

r00k_is_rap Well-Known Member

You call them feminist and yes, that exists
    test
  15. Admiral Ackbar

that wouldn't be called reverse sexism though just sexism and while I will agree it doesn't come up a lot I have heard of women being called sexist against males
    test
  16. JackDeuce

PS. If Manik was operating under D-Lor's definition of racism then a portion of what I wrote doesn't apply. Fwiw, I think that's a fine definition, but I would consider personal racism still racist, while admitting structural racism is what the real problem is. Personal racism is ultimately only harmful to one's self as it prevents you from knowing people who would potentially improve the quality of your life. Structural racism is a wholeeeeee different ballgame (and is still both existing and prevalent, despite what some would like to believe)
    test
  17. SuperNegger

SuperNegger Toe Tagger Type Negger

test
  18. SpecialOhEmPics

SpecialOhEmPics Well-Known Member

look at all the bad things I said about them

and none of it was hate or racism, just facts
    Majority of them do not adapt very well to normal canadian society.
    test
  19. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

Jack Deuce is wrong. Those per ordained racial roles are the product of racism, and are perpetrated by the dominant culture, they have no objective reality. A black person saying I'm "acting white" due to my impeccable diction is feeding into that same racist structure. The structure exists to elevate certain favored classes while keeping the rest down. I'm not black because how I sound or act, I'm black because of the way society reacts to me. No matter how I behave, I will always be pre judged based on ideas that were set in place before I was born. That is the racist structure in which we live.
    test
  20. since83

since83 Well-Known Member

test