White people who dig revolutionary black music

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Ignorant, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I've always wondered about you.

Not trying to pit race against race, so leave that alone.

But I was thinking while listening to some P-Funk today, that outside of the obvious commercial black music that sells to everybody because of its carefree, fun nature... there's a large segment of white people, mainly in North America and Europe who absolutely love the most radical, underground, political black music, as well, which was specifically targeted to black people and not meant to cross over.

Like in rap music for instance, most of Public Enemy's and NWA's fans were white... the same is true for The Coup... even though a lot of their diatribes are against "whitey."

And non-blacks are probably the biggest screamers of "what's real hip hop" today than actual black people, even though the whole "real" vs. "fake" debate was discussed in the black community as a distinction between the native, communal stuff vs. the soul-less crossover stuff.

And then there's Bob Marley, Funkadelic, Nina Simone, Archie Shepp, and countless black blues musicians who also enjoyed large white audiences.

What is it about that particular brand of black music that appeals to you?

I think it might be the high quality musicianship and/or the honesty and authenticity of the music.

But do the messages ever bother you or do you raise your fist in the air, too?

Just wondering.

(Please keep this civil and intelligent... thanks)
    test
  2. Superman70

Superman70 edited

White people like a sense of danger.
    That's why they go skydiving and shit. They listen to this music and imagine they're the ones being shot at and shit.

For those who like real musicians like Simone and Marley, those whites still enjoy being entertained by negroes. It goes back to slavery days.

[/racism]
    test
  3. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I think it's that some of the more prominent artists of this description are usually intelligent and it's good music.

White people are socially in a better position to be more worldly and open minded.
    test
  4. KroniK

KroniK R.I.P. U

yea had a white friend who Loved Dead Prez
    test
  5. Leila Night

Leila Night efrain,you're my one&only

^haha...

That, and I think the majority of people, when they listen to older music, don't really think of the historical context of it, or at least not deeply.

Also, people tend to identify with struggle.
    test
  6. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

To me when im listening to most politically charged music like Dead Prez I get the feeling that its more about Classism not Race, when i hear them talking about white people in general I almost always get the feeling that they are talking about rich or way bettter off white people. ie "The Man" who is usually white is keeping them down. But I have heard dozens of artists like 2pac for instance that have basically said its not about black or white its about green. That money. And most talk of Revolutionary action is by the poor, which white people fall into that category just as much. I mean my brother and his friend are making $20 bucks an hour full time, and after a mortgage, car insurance, weed (to keep them from going crazy) and everything else needed to live theyre barely saving any money. Shit my mom at 50 doesnt have any money saved for retirement, there were times growing up when she had no money in the bank. Being poor isnt a black only thing, and listening to music of people who are in the same mindset and go through a similar (maybe not same but similar) life is sometimes inspiring or at the very least calming.
    test
  7. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

You can fuck up good points with idiotic comments like this one.
    test
  8. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I feel this... and I agree somewhat... but I've seen some well-off whites who enjoy Bob Marley... I'm glad that you mentioned class, though.
    test
  9. Look im Gangsta

It's a comment about class, but since America has made that into a race debate, I said whites.

But you have to find fault. I understand.
    test
  10. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I knew you meant class, but I still disagree.

Open-mindedness knows no race or class... now culture is a whole 'nother thing.
    test
  11. Look im Gangsta

True, social attitudes, education, circumstance have no bearing on anyone.

I wasn't trying to blanket everyone, but as a rule of thumb, people who aren't bred to hate others, get to see other countries and aren't given a retarded education, are generally more worldly.
    test
  12. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Self hating white men listen to it. Curious white people listen to it. white liberals listen to it. White people with an open mind to anothers culture listen to it. White gangstas listen to it. White economical illiterates who don't read anything but democrat policy listen to it. White soulful people listen to it. White Marxist listen to it. White Arm chair revolutionaries listen to it an fantasize along. White rich kids listen to it emulating the fad. White poor kids listen to it looking for inspiration. White people that hate cops listen to it. White people that hate the government listen to it. White emcees listen to it. While other white people just listen to it for the witty and violent lines. Depends on your taste, indoctornation, soulfulness, personality, emcee interests, gangsta, politics, economical knowledge, trends, police dissatisfaction, black sympathy, self-hate, curiosity, open mindedness of anothers culture, and wealth, if your a white man. Infact, Everyone listens to it for different reasons. And as you can clearly see by this thread people hear what they want to hear in the music so they can relate to it. One thing I can say for sure its art other wise people wouldn't listen to it or judge it at all.
    test
  13. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

only reason anyone black or white listens to that kinda shit is to brag about it on a message board

for real
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.