White people don't know how to make video games

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by Radium, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadweather

deadweather ******

but american games are garbage
    80% of the time

solid snake doesn't look asexual to me
    test
  2. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

american/european gaming is running the software industry right now..not the japanese
    test
  3. deadweather

deadweather ******

thats like saying, but britney spears is going multi platinum. i didn't say they weren't dominating, i said they weren't making good games (in my opinion obviously) there are exceptions to that rule of course. i'm eagerly waiting american/euro gamers to get sick of ww2 fps simulators.
    test
  4. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

How is Ameurope not dominating video games? You're seriously reaching if you think otherwise.

Fair enough, if you don't like Western games, fuck off back to wacking off to 'real' anime story line shit, with your 'epic' 6 hour long FMV's. But to claim Japanese gaming is nothing more than a faded niche now, is just fucking stupid.
    test
  5. Radium

Radium f k

ratiko I wouldnt expect a lame ass nigga like you to understand
    test
  6. deadweather

deadweather ******

who said they weren't?
    no one disputes that.
    but those games only dominate in western culture.
    test
  7. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

looks like a post-op transexual to me honestly.
    test
  8. LiQuiD6

no....those games dominate everywhere.....except japan....because of two main reasons....japan has a bias to japanese only developers...and because of failure to localize titles

god of war which is an amazing game doesnt even sell in japan...but devil may cry does....why? because japan is only interested in supporting its own developers.....

a lot of top selling japanese games are literally novelty games that would never survive in the american market.....

a major issue is that alot of american made games arent localized for japanese gamers.....the translations are half assed or there arent any at all....so most american games arent accessible to the average japanese gamer...and this is because of the constant cycle of american games not doing well over there...but thats partly the fault of developers not paying attention to important shit like translation of a plot....

the chinese and koreans love blizzard...why dont the japanese? because of the reasons i stated above
    test
  9. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Lameo.
    test
  10. deadweather

deadweather ******

thats actually simplifying it a lot more than what the truth is.
    chinese/korean sensibilities are different, they love the sort of mmo's and strat games that blizzard makes, especially since those types of games are popular even when they are produced by local korean game studios.

With respect to Japanese sensibilities, i remember reading an article as to why the Japanese editions of grand theft auto sit on store shelves collecting dust. the most common complaint about the game (and similar games) is that the protagonist for the game needs to be doing something for a noble cause/end. He can't be causing havok/mayhem for no reason. He can't possess typical antihero characteristics. The game is also TOO open ended and non linear, which takes away from the narrative.

There needs to be some of heroic reason that the characters are progressing through the game. Whether thats saving a princess, or saving the world, etc. That's what the culture appreciates. It has little to do with loyalty to Japanese studios. When they embrace Western games, they really embrace it. Japanese gamers have made it no secret that they are eagerly anticipating games like Little Big Planet. Why? Because it appeals to many Japanese sensibilities. Again, It has little to do with Japanese gamers being partial to Japanese developers.

I suspect the Japanese are thinking the same thing i'm thinking of right now. Why the fuck are western gamers/developers obsessed with first person war shooters. Or what i call War Simulators. and WHAT IS WITH, their obsession with their victory in world war II, that it needs to be relived via video games.

They are over saturating the market.

Added: As i said, Japanese Sensibilities are different. Tastes dictate what will be successful.

""FPS games have become more popular; however, most Japanese people are resistant to FPS games," said Kouji Aizawa, editor in chief of Famitsu PS, a popular gaming magazine in Japan . "A lot of people [still] resent the idea of shooting people in games.""
    test
  11. LiQuiD6

aside from all of that......it doesnt explain why something like resident evil or devil may cry would be popular in japan...and god of war and halo arent....resident evil basically being a shooter with puzzles thrown inbetween...

the main reason imo is that since japan doesnt have a military foundation anymore....the newer generation isnt so amused with firearm centric games.....but they are willing to curve for specific titles....like a resident evil....and the shoot em up genre which the japanese LOVE
    test
  12. deadweather

deadweather ******

I don't know. I think its because god of war was done before. Tecmo's reboot of their Rygar franchise for PS2 did the same thing God of War did (Greek Mythology and all) sans the marketing muscle of Sony.

Well, i think you already know why Halo was unsuccessful. You've said it yourself.

Besides that, Halo has pretty bad character design, and a generic storyline. There is nothing remarkable Halo. The half life series alone runs circles around Halo. I'll never understand Halo's success outside the fact that it was the console gamer's market first glimpse at what was already going on in the PC scene for years. Like we both said, Japanese Gamers aren't too keen on FPS games in general, so Halo automatically has one strike against it. I wouldn't be surprised if those FPS Metroid games failed in Japan.

I grew up with my NES so i grew up loving the kind of games that Japanese gamers were accustomed to. I love shoot em ups like Gradius, i love RPG's, i like action/adventure games, and i welcome a well done platformer. I like first person shooters in moderation, the market is so saturated with them, it takes something unique to really catch my attention anymore within that genre. I suppose the last game to really do that was Half Life 2.

Oh i wouldn't call resident evil a shooter. At All. What a misleading label for a great series. Oh i hope when you say shoot em ups you know i mean vertical or horizontal side scrolling shooters, not first or third person shooters.

All in all, i think it has little to nothing** to do with being partial to your country's own developers. It has more to do with a country's developers being much more suited to develop games that take that particular country's tastes and sensibilities. That applies in America too. We are a blood thirsty bunch, hence the abundance of excessively violent games.
    test
  13. LiQuiD6

all that makes sense......and yea when i was talking about shooters i was referring to scrollers like gradius
    test
  14. deadweather

deadweather ******

i re-edited my last sentence because it made no god damn sense, chalk it up to taking a shit break in the middle of writing a post
    test
  15. Corn Pop

Corn Pop Langford.

i want to go to japan
    test
  16. deadweather

deadweather ******

because of this girl? can't say i blame you.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2ljl63l.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/21odmrq.jpg

i told a japanese classmate that i wanted to go to japan more than any other country and she said in a real
    "i'm sick of hearing that' kind of tone.. 'why? because of anime?'

i suppose she hears that all the time from other people because of how much it has blown up in this country.

i said no (my anime phase went from 91 to 2000), but its funny. the statistic is that 70% to 80% of anime consumers are in america.
    test
  17. LiQuiD6

japan is my number 1 as well....but its because of the culture and food....im not a big fan of anime.....the only one i care for is hajime no ippo......but that was recent...and ive been wanting to go to japan since i was young....

oddly enough favian....i got EGM in the mail today....and the issue is dedicated to japan.....mainly the decline of japanese game developers over the years...and how japan is stuck in 1998 as far as the game industry goes.....even the japanese realize they are falling behind in game development.....its universal
    test
  18. deadweather

deadweather ******

i'll check out the article, i maintain that that is only true in the west, but i'm not sure if that decline exists in the east. i'll check out the article soon. the timing couldn't be more relevant to this thread though.
    test
  19. LiQuiD6

nah its true.....hardcore games dont sell much in japan unless they are sequels of existing franchises.....minigame compilations and casual games outsell most "big" titles....example....wii fit.....
    test
  20. Complete Chaos

Complete Chaos I'm Drugs.

I've played Final Fantasy 11 with Japanese people. Engrish people were the devil to them. They're the biggest bigots I've encountered on any type of gaming platform. It's not like we couldn't communicate, because of built in macros that translated automatically. JP Onry is all I would read. Hence why I mock them now, with changing my L's to R's sometimes. I'm glad that they don't like shooters, or really any other games that are big in the US.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.