which wu member has released the best solo album? ...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Nu'maaN, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Word... I play it regularly around New Year's... my only issue is that it's a little bit too long...
    test
  2. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

I'd be hard pressed to vote against the Purple Tape...All them debuts handled by RZA was classic though

Liquid Swords, Tical, Ironman,,,you name it..

OB4CL is just too epic!
    test
  3. Mel Man

Haha is that cuz of the whole "Judgement Day 2k" theme...It's definitely a winter album

Breakups to Makeups be my shyt!
    test
  4. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

Ye its like 26 tracks, some real gems on there though.

I love this track, one of my favourite wu beats.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  5. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

^yea, Meth bodied that track and I love how it flows seamlessly into the next track, Torture... those were my two favorites

Whole album grew on me over the years, and there's not a thing on it I don't like tbh... and winter for sure. Had some rough winter commutes with that album.

cosign that it's the most underrated... I think Tical 0 and 4:21 would have been better albums, if T2000 had been more respected, 'cause I think it's demoralizing to put out something you actually took time with, during your Wu Forever lyrical peak, and get a lukewarm reception. Makes you wanna just say fuck it.

Supreme Clientele was actually recorded during that same era, too, when they were all at their apex, but was just tied up in red tape for years... that's why it's so good, 'cause it's a mid 90's album at heart. That album was unanimously loved, and Ghost has ridden that wave with consistent albums since... see what I'm sayin'?
    test
  6. King-Vis

King-Vis Buy Any Beats Necessary

Cuban Linx all day!
    test
  7. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Yeah... and I copped it right when it dropped in Nov. or Dec. of '99... Def Jam had a promo called "The Month of the Man" where they dropped that joint and Redman's "Doc's Da Name 2000" in the same month... so I was still pumpin' it right along New Year's Y2K... I like that grimy beat on Dangerous Ground... I blast that shit loud every time I play it... the whole album is grimey... and I love that beat Havoc did where he flipped an Aretha Franklin sample.
    test
  8. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I think the reception Judgement Day received had more to do with the climate of hip hop around that time than it had to do with the material... '99 was right smack dab in the middle of the Bling Era... Cash Money was blowing up and the South was starting to get big... ie, Mystikal, Master P, No Limit... Jay Z was coming into his own as New York's king with his nods to the south and west coast... Nas was sellin' out with Puffy... that's when the commercial vs. underground chasm sorta began, too... because the underground was bubbling, too... Company Flow, Def Jux, Rawkus, Lyricist Lounge, etc... but the mainstream critics went with the commercial shit and the raw, NY rap aesthetic started to take a backseat... Busta had released a raw album with Flipmode Squad the previous year, '98 and it received lukewarm reviews, too, which is why if you noticed, his '99 album Extinction Level Event was much more commercial and even featured songs with Janet Jackson and Mystikal... the beginning of the millennium sorta marked the end of regionalism in hip hop... and it was all about the hot sound that everybody could copy.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. Geedorah

Geedorah King

test
  10. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

The DJ Krush Remix keeps popping up in my shuffle:

test
  11. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Ghost and Rae.always have that best solo jawns

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 215
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I can tell you from Philly... niggas from Philly always saying "jawn"
    test
  13. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

All day

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 215
    test
  14. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

liquid swords

then cuban linx
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  15. Mr. sickVisionz

Mr. sickVisionz The Gentleman's Producer

I don't know about the best but Ghostface has released the most albums that are good imo.
    test
  16. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

bumpin' GZA's Beneath the Surface lately... some gems on there, pretty cohesive album. Underrated, '98 era hot shit.

all Wu's shit has to marinate "til the year 2G" tbh... 'cause what preceded it was always some god tier, classic shit, so the next shit has so much to live up to

kinda feel like listening to more of Rae's solos... I remember there was always a track or two I liked, but I wrote them off

that shit was fire, but i don't remember shit else off Immobilarity. Gotta get it again.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  17. Dj Khaled Sucks

Dj Khaled Sucks Active Member

OBFQL for me.

As for Tical 2000, it's one of the most underrated albums of all time. Listen to "Torture" and tell me Meth wasn't ripping shit on that album. That and Capital Punishment by Big Pun were the two albums that ushered me out of only listening to No Limit artists.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  18. Dj Khaled Sucks

Dj Khaled Sucks Active Member

I feel the same way. Sometimes I don't know if the Rae follow ups were really that wack or if I just let the build up of following up OBFCL fuck with my head.

• +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  19. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

with songs like north star, it was hard to follow up.

that track is a fucking classic for me.

:numaan:
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  20. Mel Man

Haha woord what an outro!

that joint is so underrated but classic...when the beat drop n he just start rippin it,,,chills man

"We waste no time searching for that which does not exist"

CHeck how crazy RZA flipped the original sample,,,pure genius

• +Rep +Rep x 1
    test