which game genre needs the biggest overhaul?

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by Omnipotnth, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omnipotnth

Omnipotnth New Member

I think the fighting game genre is played out and they really need to introduce some vast revolutionary concepts other than some new "super kick" or a insulting palette swap of a character and calling it a "new character."

With sports games not much revolution is needed, basically just a matter of tweaking the game engine every year and getting it closer to the actual sport. Some may argue the Madden series needs a complete overhaul, but that's another thread. To be specific, that's the thread on page 5.

I can't think of any other genres that need to be changed, basically like I already said the fighting games. I'm trying to think of what new concepts they could add to it that's never been done before but I can't think of any, yall got any ideas?
    test
  2. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Just about every genre really...

What seperates 1 war game from another? Not a whole lot. Some are better obviously, but in essence its basically the same shit everytime.

Fighting I agree with, I havent played a fighting game in years. Honestly, 3d fighting sucks! I liked 2d fighting much better. Not to mention in fighting games these days, you do one combo and destory more than half your opponents life. I was playing Dead Or Alive demo, and matches would last 10 seconds.

Most genres are pigeon holed. I mean, what more can you do for a sports or racing game these days? Now its all about slightly changing it, and making a fucking killing selling the shit.

No genre can be overhauled really. Its all the same shit. A better question is what franchise should be overhauled.

Like when they changed Resident Evil in Resident Evil 4. Greatest shit ever, prolly my favorite game ever.
    test
  3. SharpCrease

SharpCrease New Member

puzzle games
    test
  4. Ethan Albright

Ethan Albright New Member

fighting. i haven't played a fighting game since sega genesis with mortal kombat.... that's how lacking that entire genre has been. Unnoticed.
    test
  5. Omnipotnth

Omnipotnth New Member

They just need to be more creative and more innovative when it comes to fighting games.
    test
  6. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

are you assholes serious? :p of course 3D fighters are gonna be shorter, it's a pick up and play experience. you can still adjust the round amounts if u want longer matches. plus there's still some great 2d fighters out there if thats what u want. but as far as 3d fighters, cmon there's great titles out there too, and Tekken 6 is fuckign coming soon!

Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g7RJ7Nl1xw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkaWtO0j1jc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN4ppVoP9IQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALT_v_7WZ8Q&mode=related&search=
    Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnfzKZX5nB0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vxMq-8psLs

the ONLY thing missing from fighting games is Online mode.

I mean, the only reason why ppl think fighters need to be more "innovative" or "revolutionized" is because they've gotten used to fucking Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat formula, which is a classic set up on its own. And the fact that most of you haven't played the newer fighters released 2-3 years ago are obviously missing out on the change that these games went through.

Gamespot has given both Tekken 5 and Virtua Fighter 4 over 9.0 scores, respectively, so why change something that's worked for the past 20 years?
    test
  7. Atom React

Atom React aka JAYO

i have never been a fan of these kind of fighting games.. i hear a lot about tekken and all that, i quit after like MK2 or 3, i mean its fun but not for a very long period of time, shit dies out rather quick
    test
  8. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Them Tekken games are just stupid to me. You got like 20 moves, but all its takes is like, 2 and a half moves to win a match.
    test
  9. blade1284

blade1284 New Member

i think fighting too, you cant touch rpg or shooter, even sports is insane...fighting needs the work
    test
  10. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

well if ur not a fan in the first place, obviously u wont care as much.
    test
  11. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

Actually, each fighter has an average of 100 moves or more. Rofl.

I used to agree with that mentality that "Oh shit these matches be too short son", that was my way of thinking when I was a noob. But after you start learning each fighter, especially one with alot of depth like Virtua Fighter, you'll start looking at the game play the way a real fighter would.

In these games, it's extremely difficult to master more than fighter, because each has a unique style that doesn't completely replicate anyon else's. There might be some similar or downright switched pallettes, but this isn't fucking Street Fighter 2 where if you own with Ryu, you'll own with Ken and know the same moves for about half of the roster. No, this is where, you try and master one character you really like, and enter REAL tournaments to own other people. It's that same fighter's mentality. You go on competitions and try to defeat as many people as possible, like in real fighting circuits.

And no it doesn't take "2 and a half moves" to win a match. A ten hit combo won't even completely deplete any lifebar in Tekken games.

I'm assuming you don't know that all these 3D fighters are realistic-based right? What, you expect 20 hour long fights in reality? No son, people fight till someone gets enough damage and KO'd. They try to make it seem as real as possible in fighting styles, with some obvious video game flashy shit in the mix too.
    test
  12. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

Wrestling, fighting, or a new Mixed Martial Arts game.
    test
  13. Kuya

Kuya AKA V-MAX

The old tekken games are like that, like 1 and 2....But after 3 all the way to now, they've adjusted the balance and the life bars so that the moves won't do as much damage and there's more room to punish opponents until they are knocked out.
    test
  14. Kuya

Kuya AKA V-MAX

I agree with this, because 3d fighting games are so personal nowadays. It's very personal because you end up spending alot of time with only a few fighters (or just one), because the more you get good with him/her, the more your bond with that fighter grows.

It takes time and alot of practice to become pro at each character, so I understand why some people would get frustrated at the requirement of skill needed to play if they're just looking for an easy-to-learn game. It's partly Namco's fault that they STILL haven't made online mode for their English version games at this day and age.

And black people like Tekken. There's TONS of black Tekken players. I've seen them in tournaments, usually some of the best ones there too.
    test
  15. V-Max

V-Max ROUND ONE: FIGHT!!!

but that IS the problem with fighting games now: there's TOO MUCH depth.
    i dont care how deep a game is, if i have to spend countless months mastering just ONE fighter, it's not fun!
    test
  16. i Luv Da Cock

i Luv Da Cock TRU "GINGER" KID

That's cuz you suck and have never seen two pro tekken players go at it.

The better the players are, the longer matches there'll be, cuz they know how to block, counter, parry, and evade each other's moves.

Usually the timer is close to running out when someone wins a round.
    test
  17. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Oh gee...I suck. Well then, that still dont make them good games.
    test
  18. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

iono, i'm glad to see ufc is making a new game.
    test
  19. i Luv Da Cock

i Luv Da Cock TRU "GINGER" KID

Not good games? Oh gee, I guess that's why Tekken is the biggest and most commercially succesful 3D fighting game franchise in the world today for no reason. I mean, they hold worldwide Tekken tournaments where tens of thousands of players compete to celebrate such a terrible game, that must be it. Yea, yea it's so crappy that to this day, the latest Tekken installments, Tekken 5 and Dark Ressurection, all recieved an average of over 9.0 scores out of 10 in most offical video game review sites like Gamespot and IGN. Yea, real shitty.

Fuck outta here.
    test
  20. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Calm down kiddo, im not here to argue.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.