Which console was the best for a specific genre?

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by i Luv Da Cock, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i Luv Da Cock

i Luv Da Cock TRU "GINGER" KID

I think for fighting games, nothing could touch the Sega Saturn.

Look at this library:
    Battle Arena Toshinden Remix
    [​IMG]
    X-Men: Children Of The Atom
    [​IMG]
    Street Fighter Alpha: Warrior's Dreams
    Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
    Virtua Fighter 2
    [​IMG]
    Virtua Fighter Remix
    Fighters MegaMix
    Golden Axe: The Duel
    Robo Pit
    [​IMG]
    Primal Rage
    Criticom
    [​IMG]
    Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
    Virtual-On: Cyber Troopers
    [​IMG]
    Fighting Vipers
    King Of Fighters 95
    [​IMG]
    Virtua Fighter Kids
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Dragonball Z: Idainaru Densetsu
    Mortal Kombat Trilogy
    King Of Fighters 97
    Rise 2: Ressurection
    Battle Monsters
    Pocket Fighter
    Galaxy Fight
    Mortal Kombat II
    Dark Legend
    Street Fighter Collection
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    [​IMG]
    Last Bronx

......and that's not even the HALF of it. The Sega Saturn had loads of fighting titles, and this is why:

"If used correctly the quadrilateral rendering of the Saturn would show less texture distortion than was common on Playstation titles, as demonstrated by several cross-platform titles such as Wipeout and Destruction Derby. The quadrilateral-focussed hardware and a 50% greater amount of video RAM also gave the Saturn an advantage for 2D game engines and attracted many developers of RPGs, arcade games and traditional 2D fighting games. Two different RAM cartridges were released for the system, a 1 MiB RAM cart by SNK for King of Fighters '95 and a 4 MiB RAM cart by Capcom for X-Men vs. Street Fighter. Both companies were known back then for their sprite-based 2D competitive fighting games and many of their subsequent games utilized their respective cartridges."

So basically, it had an engine that made fighting games, especially 2D ones, the closest to the arcade versions than any of the other ports. The Sega Saturn versions were so superior that they were even better than Playstation 2's ports of games like Street Fighter Alpha 2; released a decade earlier on the Saturn.
    Not only did Saturn have great 2D fighters, they also featured revolutionary 3D fighters like Virtua Fighter.

It's controllers were also very suited for fighting games, [​IMG], and the analog control pad
    [​IMG] made that "arcade" feel even closer to home.
    test
  2. Kuya

Kuya AKA V-MAX

Fighting games=saturn, it brought 3D fighters into consoles AND had the best 2D fighting games

RPG=super nes, it had so much to offer, FF2, FF3, Chrono Trigger, Secret Of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, FF mystic quest, breath of fire 2, act raiser, tales of phantasia, terranigma, Lufia and the Fortress of DOom, Super Mario RPG, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia 2, Soul Blazer

Action/Adventure/Survival Horror=Playstation (original)...let's see, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, Parasite Eve, GTA, Castlevania SOTN, Spyro the Dragon, Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Sports=Dreamcast.....NBA 2000/2001, NCAA College Football 2k2, NFL 2k1/2k2, NFL Blitz 2000, NHL 2k2, Ready 2 Rumble, Sydney 2000 Olympics, Tennis 2k2, Tony Hawk Pro Staker 1 and 2, Virtua Tennis, World Series Baseball 2k1, Championship Surfer, Extreme Sports, nuff said.

Shooting games=I dont think there is ANY console that can claim to be the best in this genre, so I'm giving it to PC.

RTS=PC (like there's any other choice)

Adult Games=PC (but if I had to choose a console, Atari 2600! LOL!)

Beat em ups=Arcade (but if i had to choose a console, SNES)

Party games=Nintendo Gamecube/N64 (tie)...smash brothers, melee, mario party series, goldeneye, perfect dark, mario kart 64
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.