Whenever I read someones elses poetry

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Catch TWENTY 2, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catch TWENTY 2

Catch TWENTY 2 Poet Extrodinaire

i need help, whenever I read other peoples poetry thats dope, I always reread mine thinking it's garbage and I always throw mine away.
    Anyone have any advice?
    test
  2. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Don't throw it away, you never know when you'll stumble on something old and get a new idea from it... basically, just try to incorporate elements they'd used in your own poems... a big thing is coming up with really good concrete images... they're crucial. The easiest thing to build a good poem from is a good image.

Good luck... and read as much poetry as you can if you want to get better... not just online either, in fact, not much online... go to barnes and noble and check out the literary journals... Paris Review, Iowa Review, Southern Review, A Public Space, Atlanta Review etc... it will be hit and miss, but sometimes you hit some really sweet poems, and then you can find that poet's books and shit... or go to the poetry section and read Billy Collins, Stephen Dunn, Li Young-Lee, Denise Duhamel, and Lawrence Raab especially, they're very accessible (easy to get) and good...
    test
  3. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

Yeah man don't throw your poems away man. It's always fun looking back and seeing how much you've grown as a writer. But like Anaphor said read read read read and read all types of poetry. And just keep writing basically. Write about things you hardly know anything about as well as the things you know a lot about. Just write and read a lot. We all gotta start somewhere man.
    test
  4. Catch TWENTY 2

Catch TWENTY 2 Poet Extrodinaire

I appreciate the advice and I'm definately going to heed to it!
    test
  5. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

yeah

dont throw it away
    polish it
    and keep the revised work seperate from the original so you can see how you've evolved
    test
  6. Poetical Techniquez

Poetical Techniquez Lost in Thought

....why do you feel your work is garbage after reading others who you feel are better than you? Everyone at least to me only gave u part of what you were looking for...yea don't throw away your poems...but why?...read a poem of yours, then read a poem of another poet...compare and contrast if you will. See what u have in common with the poem that you liked...do you need to give more of "this" that the poem u liked has or did u not have any of "that" at all. Look at the way u arrange words...the rhythm...is there a rhyme scheme? (does there have to be???) Content and detail of the two poems...what are the differences btwn the 2? Vocabulary? The use of words? Punchlines??? Could be a number of things... and sometimes if u don't wanna necessarily break it down like that...imitation is a good template to start at then once u feel comfortable write'in that way...flip it and make it your own....

on some real talk as far go'in to barnes and noble and reading this that and the third...i ain't say'n not to do it to each his/her own...now i love poetry BUT i dont have any books of poetry and i don't know any poets outside of a few who would typically be known for the poetry they do...honestly i get my drive love and passion (and always have) for poetry from everyday ppl who i feel keep the movement go'in (not to say that ppl who have books out don't and what have u cuz some of these same everyday ppl in my reality got books too). I came/come here & other places and read ppl's thoughts and everything...and to me thats all you need cuz at one place at one time u can read ppls poems who are all at different levels and speeds. Different perspectives and styles...AND on top of that u can talk directly to that poet and ask them about that poem and what not....you can't necessarily do that with someone who u are just reading their book. U can network wit ppl and make friends and build relationships all from a poem you read on the net...u can also go to poetry readings (which i hardly ever do) and get a different vibe and view as well...i think that will help also....AAAAAAnyway thas my two cents...sorry for the long windedness
    test
  7. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Please, please, don't use punchlines in your poems. From an editor, and a reader's perspective, that's almost always a kiss of death... especially at the end of a poem. The biggest problem with the internet poetry boards, this one definitely included, is that most of the people are either a) beginning poets who don't yet know what makes a good poem a good poem, and therefore can't offer very good constructive criticism, or b) are beginning poets who don't care what makes a good poem a good poem, praise everything regardless of quality, and get super defensive if they receive any constructive criticism. I guess the big question is, what do you want to do with your poetry? You wanna merge it into hip hop and record a cd? You wanna get on Def Poetry, or win a SLAM? You wanna publish it? You wanna write just for therapy? Then you can figure out what you should read/listen to.
    test
  8. Poetical Techniquez

Poetical Techniquez Lost in Thought

Originally Posted By Anaphora:

...I think that that statement is biased in perspective only taking away from him trying to better his writing...if you are a poet no matter how serious (or not) you are...u shouldn't run from a aspect of writing...how do you know that he may actually be good at it? And as for internet poetry...your statement could also go the way of authors or poetry books and or columns in local papers and mags or whatever...whose to say that becuz its in a book or a column that the poem(s)/poetry of that poet isn't garbage? Has every book of poetry u read or every column or article on a highlight poet been that ill or that good every single time? there are alot of poets whether internet or not...serious or not who care or don't care what ppl think as well as are "super defensive" for what one says about a poem or not. For everything that u feel internet poetry is, also applies to poetry not on the net...no difference except in the medium in which it is communicated...some poems suck...some mediocre...some good...some abstract..some beautiful...different...excellent or whatever....and all that is a matter of opinion...like your thoughts on punchlines...now, i see why u or one may not like punchlines BUT when most ppl tend to use punchlines they are cliche-ish...but in my opinion and my own experience that is part of the evolution of a poet...those cliches are what stimulates the mind...the thing is how to make the meaning of that cliche work in your own words. In this case how to make it work for u as a punchline...punchlines are part of the art of poetry...why abort it?

...in any case i hope u don't mis-read the tone of my words...but thank u for sparking discussion...this needs to happen more often
    test
  9. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

No no, by all means bad poetry does get published, but it's usually bad in a different way... stylistically, formally or in it's content. The difference between published in print poetry, and posted on the internet poetry, is the extra editor... when something is published (in a print journal, or an online journal, or even a book) that means that it was picked out as the best of a large stack of poems by someone who got the job as editor by knowing a thing or two about poetry (generally) and they will often ask for the small changes that astute critics will mention... like I said in the first post, it's always hit and miss reading journals... but when you happen onto a poem you really like, then the hunt can begin for more of their work... and sometimes you'll be let down there too, but sometimes it'll be totally worthwhile... reading Best American Poetry's can help too... it's not often, literally, the best of the best, but a mere guest editor's favorites, however, they usually get at least some of them right... and there's a new guest editor every year, so if you don't like one year, check out the next one... this year it was Billy Collins... it's decent, there's some really good poems in there... some not so great that are just kind of clever, but you can find a couple poets to check out more of their work... there're a ton of online journals you can also read... just do a search for literary journal in google, or literary ezine and you'll find a handful, again, varying in quality and content... but if you DO want to improve your writing, like it sounded like the guy did, to me at least, who really knows but him... then reading a lot of poetry while writing it is very essential.
    test
  10. leprien27

leprien27 X'ist in Circum_Reference

I like where this went, How easy it is for any Mary or Joe to just start posting poetry wether its garbage or not. If your looking for a style change or a begining just read. It dosen't matter where. Find somthing you like and go with it. Even read the garbage, It gives you the chance to pick out what good flow is and possibly give advice to others, In the meen time really reminding yourself of what the garbage material would look like if it were.. a mastered peice with all the whistles and stuff you like. (Punchlines) (Multi's) (Rhthem) exc.., Sometimes the garbage can have realy good ideas just not written in a form u like. A COMMUNITY IS BETTER TO LEARN FROM. and cheaper. Do some googles
    test
  11. Blarc

Blarc OMNI,OWV,Night StalkerZ

Yo Kid
    chill out
    just because you read something “YOU THOUGHT WAS DOPER THAN YOURS “ doesn’t mean it was
    saying your shit is garbage
    that’s being insecure about your posts
    Believe
    if its what you believe
    then post it
    who gives a fuck what everyone else thinks
    poetry comes from the heart
    it’s an expression of you, your self , your beliefs, what you see, surroundings, etc
    you know what im saying
    I’ve been under scrutiny
    for my posts all the time
    this is wrong, oh that is wrong, oh that doesn’t sound right
    its criticism
    And hopefully by the right people
    and with that you take it into consideration
    Never take it as hate if it sounds right
    just post your shit!!!!!!!!!!!!
    test
  12. rayray avis

rayray avis New Member

never throw your poetry away unless its really garbage.. i feel most poetry flows and so at first the feelings natural.. pay attention to whether you get writers block or force the last line.. i've done that a few times myself..
    i feel that whenever someone writes.. it's their emotion at the time and how can your feelings on paper be wrong? hold on to it.. post it short or long.. we're all human so we all have those feelings.. its like someone's garbage is someone elses gold.. just dont view it as garbage.. put it away and come back, you should view differently
    we all know the brain is wealth and thats all i have to say..
    test
  13. licious_mocha

licious_mocha this lawn's been mowed

you can be a "poet" overnight but to be really good to where u can reach multiple readers, it takes time....masterpieces just flow like water..they arent forced and you need to have something that inspires you, maybe its some music, or a picture, or like some real life relationship, focus on the...mood,,,then you can go from there...good luck
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.