When you're at the gym, don't you hate to see.....

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Dunpeal, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunpeal

Dunpeal Graying men, mmm

.......people lifting improperly and almost injuring themselves or someone else.

There's always some guy on the flat bench press giving it his all to lift a weight he has no right even attempting.....his back has form a circular bridge with bench....

His form is utter ugliness. I always wanna say "Hey man, you fucking idiot.....you have nothing to prove by putting that up, and you're only gonna hurt yourself with that horrid form"

Or over at the dumbbell racks, you see them guys bending their back instead of locking their elbows and slowly, and properly curling the dumb bell....haha

Cot damn......

Some info for anyone trying to always lift to much......Good form and smart lifting is soooooooooo much more beneficial. The results are seen quicker, the gains are faster and better......and you don't feel like you finna fall apart.
    test
  2. I wArFaRe I

I wArFaRe I Love 2 Hate

lol i know what youre saying..i laugh whenever i see these tiny dudes trying to curl much more than they can and just swinging arms and bending their backs..its horrible
    test
  3. doubl3

doubl3 aka AyHay

where are the fitness instructors when this is happening?..lol
    test
  4. I wArFaRe I

I wArFaRe I Love 2 Hate

i know the owner of mine, hes a certified personal trainer and we lift together..we kinda laugh at them for a minute then he tries to show them the right form..only to see 115 lb kids pick up 40lb dumbells and start swinging again
    test
  5. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Oh, the curling thing annoys the shit out of me. Or doing some shrugs and they bend their knees all crazy and lift the weight with their arms. Yeah, it annoys me.
    test
  6. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

My personal trainer was shite. Didn't school me on proper technique. I still don't have it.
    test
  7. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

oh my god man...i go to the Y so obviously there are some slacking ass fucks in there...there's one guy in particular tho, old indian dude...he does cable curls right...this cock sucker holds on to the machine, bends to the point his torso is parrallel with the floor, then rapidly swings his back up just to curl the weight...and then he'll start actually screaming, like...loudly as he's doing it...then when he's done he puffs up his chest and walks around smirking at people...

It's annoying cuz I worked my ass off just to be able to curl 110 with the barbell and this fuck thinks he's the shit cuz he's got 90 on one arm like he's really workin his biceps
    test
  8. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

LMAO, that shit is comedy.

I just hate when dudes have to yell loud as fuck everytime they do somethin. I swear some dudes yell when they stretch.
    test
  9. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

yea its funny but whatever. let them do their thing and i try to mind my own business.

i always see people improperly doing workouts and machines but whatever.

i remember when i was like 13 and doing dumbbell curls like you mentioned where it was way too much and i was swinging my arms, bending my back, and moving all over to lift it up and some guy came over to me and said i was doing it all wrong. it was very embarrassing/ annoying and i wanted to throw the dumbbell in his fucking face. so i remember that when i get the urge to tell people they are doing it all wrong and i just let them be and try not to giggle.
    test
  10. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

Were laughing at their asses to.
    when i did personal training i always saw people doing this shit.
    Had this one dude trying to do the flys for his chest and had it up to like 180 or so. And i was on my way by the front desk and the guys who worked for the gym like david come here. they pointed ol boy out to me. he's sitting on the nautilus fly machine arms up and just putting everything into it using his body to push the weights and shit and i'm like wtf? can you help him before he hurts himself
    i head over there hey man let me and i head to the back of his machine.
    and he grabs me and is like i'm doing cheats to build, blah blah blah and i'm like uh yea right looks more like your about to shit a cabbage. but, go ahead don't look to me when you hurt yourself.
    i head off.
    back to the front desk and there like what did he say and you didn't hit dude. i'm like fuck it he's gonna hurt himself it's his shoulders.
    told them he said he's doing cheats and he's trying to gain mass. we all looked at each other like wtf? And i'm like yea i know. dumb ass.
    the funny shit i would see is dudes trying to do curls with more weight then they can manage. like ol boy said earlier in the thread there just swinging the weights back and forth like pendulums. i believe in explosive training and all but damn. what there doing looks more like hell i don't know..., like shit. fuck i built up to being able to curl 55 with the dumbbells. And i wasn't throwing them things like that just a slow measured pace. not trying to hurt myself or anyone else with those damn clubs.
    test
  11. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

I wont let someone do that if I see someone using wrong form I help them.

Dont get mad at them help them out.
    test
  12. dlbiininja

can't help them out if there not willing to listen.
    test
  13. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

Well see thats the problem with all them young punks at the gym. If you dont want help then you shouldnt even be in there....
    test
  14. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

Only thing I really hate seeing at the gym.....well not even necessairly "hate" but always catches my eye is when people put like 305lbs on and try to shoulder shrug then get like 2 inches up on each rep. I always get a little smirk seeing that. Or when people put 300+ lbs on the squat rack only to do 1/8th squats (where you bend your knees slightly). End up working out their kneecaps.
    I guess its always a pride thing, I can't really fault them for that though because I used to be the same way. When I first started lifting I was embarassed to even bench press in public because I was only able to bench 135lbs 3x max. But then I grew out of that phase when I realized that the majority of the people at the gym are actually nice guys willing to help you and not the intimidating assholes that you might think.
    Hell Ill be the first to admit that I can bench twice as much as a squat. I have huge legs but I simply cannot squat to save my life. My big legs were built doing 3 sets of 10 of 155lbs on the squat rack.

I see people doing the improper curls all the time. I always keep my opinions to myself though. But another thing that you guys have to remember is that some of the people at the gym are powerlifters and competition weightlifters and not necessairly "bodybuilders" as the majority of those on this board are. So the guy you see arching his back and struggling to throw up that 350lbs on the bench that you claim has nothing to prove may actually be a powerlifter trying to get a new max, or someone training to get that extra 5lbs step up on the competition at the next weight lifting event. That scene isn't at all uncommon in the gym's of competition weightlifters.
    test
  15. dlbiininja

naw, cause then those are the guys asking for a spot. cause, they have the experience to know better. And will help out as well as ask for it.
    test
  16. khmerwunder

khmerwunder New Member

Exactly, anyone who's not experienced would try a max alone. Think about it why are you trying to max out by yourself??? However I also agree with people saying that when you first go in the gym you had bad form etc... it was a pride thing, true that because the gym is pretty intimindating (depending on what gym). However the true "pros" are gonna keep coming back and eventually learn the right form. If you see somone who is a "regular" with the worse form then they are there to show off.

For example when I started out benching, some told me to go halfway down some told me to drop to the chest. When you go halfway you can do more weight, alot not all of the personal trainers and huge guys at the gym I go to would go halfway down, some guys rack up 4 plates plus a quarter going halfway down. I mean these guys are like 6'3-6'6 ~240-260? some a little smaller but you get the picture. I used to go halfway down and put up a ton of weight and it felt good but you know what shit is all for show. Yeah you working your chest but that weight is killing your joints and in the long run you're not fullly developing power and mass. When you go all the way down it's you versus that weight. Imagine a rock falling on your chest, its on there it ain't halfway you gotta lift that son bitch off your chest. Look at the NFL, weight lifting competitions, you have to hit your chest, some even want you to lay it for a second before you lift. So when I ask people how much they bench I ask them how they bench, if they go halfway they can't really bench that much, how do I know? Because I've tried it.
    test
  17. pantherdef

pantherdef New Member

folks lifting a whole bunch of weight and not even working the muscles they intending on working (standing bicep curls that turn into back ext.)...ridiculous
    test
  18. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

Do take notice though that it IS recommended that you thrust your back to get those last 2 or 3 reps while curling if you run out of steam.

Using your back for more than those last 2 or 3 reps is cheating though.
    test
  19. Akustikz

Akustikz .

test
  20. babechris

babechris New Member

personally, mainly since im not that big a dude, i totally agree because:
    1. form and correctness is the most important thing in muscular enhancement
    and
    B. injury comes easy with attempting to do an exercise improperly
    test
Thread Status: