When you catch yourself thinking negatively...

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Thomas Huxley, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah eckhart tolle is pretty cool beans. My guru told me look him up a bunch of years ago

meditation worked wonders for me and continues to do so.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  2. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

great question, truth be told.

my mind keeps wandering into the negative until it gets to a point where i get angry at the thoughts.

for example, i'd be thinking of stupid shit, and then it'll get to a stage where i see my close relatives being hurt, then i stop.

i usually light a cigarette, it kind of works, and then i start thinking about sexual things, which leads to more deviance.

:numaan:
    test
  3. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

People are addicted to thinking. It's a bad habit.

If I were you I'd find a way to unnecessarily inflict pain on myself. When you realise it's only yourself doing it and that you don't need to you won't bother doing that shit no more. See what Tolle says on the matters of suffering and thinking.
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah thats ok if your mind wanders, even the best meditator in the worlds mind still wanders, but when you catch it FORCE yourself to think positive. You control your thoughts man, you only think negative because you let yourself and youre used to it.

barring a mental disorder your in control of your thoughts...

happiness is a choice
    test
  5. straight_evil

straight_evil Mrs. Sole

I just let the thoughts be negative until the negativity passes.
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  6. antilluminati

Or don't force your thoughts at all. Don't focus on them and let them just simmer into babble until they die out.

Detatch yourself emotionally from them, observe them and know how they work. Then you can just pull yourself out of your head and into the room or where your presence is. Focus on sounds, flavours, smells or what you see and just percieve without bringing your mind into it by analyzing them. Acceptance is key.
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i know man, but i was trying to emphasize that you are in control of what you think about

Thinking too much is bad mmmkay.
    test
  8. antilluminati

Yes, thats the point, one are in control. But what isn't obvious to everyone is that one is not ones own thoughts. And it's hard to take a step back from that since the ego wants t control you, and makes you think you cannot exist without it.

First when you have been able to not think at all for a longer period of time do you understand that you percieve, are just as intelligent but more focused and present without. It's like, if you've thrown a ball many times before, do you need to think about throwing that ball in loop days before and all night before you do it? No, you know exactly what to do when the moment arrives, and you'll be more relaxed and focused while doing it. So most of the time you are being an asshole to yourself and you didn't have to, and you can stop that shit if you dont let your ego rule you.

The past doesn't exist, accept it's over. So now, don't fabricate it in your mind and cause yourself pain.
    The future doesn't exist. It's only a constuct of your mind so accept it will happen no matter what and take it as it comes. So now, donæt fabricate it in your mind and cause yourself anxiety and fear.

The now is the ONLY thing that exist, be in it and accept it as it is. Don't fight it and don't escape into your mind, deal with it and be present. Is there pain in the room, is there fear in the room? No? Then don't create it, it's pointless. Only your ego want's you to and he's an asshole, so be confident and donæt second guess your instincts, you got this-.
    test
  9. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

tell myself to get a fucking grip
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  10. Thomas Huxley

Thomas Huxley Well-Known Member

Wow. Alright hard
    test
  11. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

GREAT question truth b told
    test
  12. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

I remember that I am Caesar.
    test
  13. TreHolla

TreHolla Member

"if you do something for someone else because it makes you feel good, that isn't true altruism, because it comes from a "selfish" motive," is a line of thinking that needs to be stopped.

two people feelin a little bit better than they were before is better than one being down and out, or in a bind, and another having the ability to help but not doing so.

you makin money, you've got plenty of it, and you see someone who literally has nothing, or is living on the streets and you won't spare a dollar or give them some change because they might spend it on "booze" or drugs, is more selfish, than giving it to them because it makes you feel good to know you helped your fellow human being out.

all the religion talk, talk about spirituality, and god is pretty much rhetoric. of course you don't have to be christian, or a specific religion to ascribe to the golden rule. and if you love god, then you live by the golden rule anyway. (oddly enough those are the two greatest commandments that christ wanted us to live by. you know when you see the red print. christian's ="christ-like")

it makes it easier to be positive. because you can sift through a lot of nonsense, and recognize nonsense for what it is. you know that if you live by the golden rule that you don't really have much to worry about. because buddha said "you can't throw hot coals without burning yourself in the process." so if you're livin golden and someone tries to throw a hot coal at you, they'll miss
    or the truth will dissipate it.

the religions are seeming more like voltron. together they don't really make sense, or they can fight well separately, but when you combine them, watch out.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  14. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

Did not read.

Doubt much was missed.
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  15. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

my point exactly, its a mutual benefit. Nothing wrong with wanting to be happy and doing things to get there. SPECIALLY if it involves lending a hand to someone in need or who could really use it....

now if you were helping a homeless person get off his feet just so you could fatten him up and eat him... well thats just not nice.
    test
  16. antilluminati

If someone falls on their face next to me I help them out, pure instinct. If you mean there is an agenda, then I suggest some sort of bad karma is what's making you feel better about yourself when doing so.
    test
  17. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

im pretty sure you an i are the only ones who believe in karma. lol
    test
  18. Thomas Huxley

Thomas Huxley Well-Known Member

Forcing doesn't work. For anyone.
    test
  19. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i guess youre sweet out of luck then

maybe the word "force" wasnt a good choice

was just trying to tell you that you can choose to think positively by just doing it.
    test
  20. antilluminati

You can't force yourself to stop your thought process either. In fact what you have to do is: nothing. Once you find stillness of mind you'll realize how overhyped thinking really is.
    test