-When writing Poetry, do you have any concrete idea

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by RealMS, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

what you are going to write about? Sounds senseless enough I guess (I just read what I put in) but be for real. I never do. I'll be thinking of something I saw that I thought was amazing and later when I come to write, I'll end up with a poem I couldn't predict. Sometimes it has nothing to do with anything I thought. It's a good way to snap out of NOT writing for a long time. The only way I can stay on topic with what my actual thoughts are is if it was an assignment.

Talk about it. I always thought about this, but thought it was too 'funny' to talk about.
    test
  2. Him'

Him' Dying Underoath

not really. I start writing what I'm thinking even if it is something random and then I see how I can make it turn out..
    test
  3. Dex P. LaMorte

Dex P. LaMorte New Member

i always think of a subject beforehand.

i can't just go into it off of random thoughts.

i think of a story, take elements from it and come up with metaphors.

i used to try to just write off of random thoughts, and I would run into writer's block frequently.

violence, loss of innocence, broken trust - i try to write poetry like it's a movie script, just as abstruce and poetic as I can.

trust me, always have some sort of commitment to an idea before you start writing. make use of metaphors and other imagery and you'll come up with stuff you never thought you were capable of.

but, that's just me and i'm no shakespear, pz.
    test
  4. Poetickz

Poetickz The Humble One

latley ive been bound to the topics and subjects of the PTL...not that their bad or anything...but i havnt put time into actually freeing myself...and writing directly what i feel at that very gievn moment...if i dont have a topic i simply stay on track by what im feeling or thinkin...thats a good enough topic for me...let me know if anything i jus said made any sense or not...
    one
    test
  5. Bhitiah

Bhitiah Powerful Scriptures

Hell Nah, I dont know what the hell happens sometimes, most times, ok all the time...I just start typin' or writin and BAM once i hit the end of the page I'm like WTF, that's why my shit be so long sometimes...I'm like Holy Moley lol ...LOL @ Holy Moley. But whatever. I dont care. I dont think poetry should ever be planned, but i mean if it works for you, cool ...But since when did your heart make plans for you, Your heart's like that kick in the ass that's like Go this way Muh Fuckey...And you do, or you dont, but either way I mean, Your hearts like a peice of shit instigator just trying to get you in all kinds of mess. Anyway, Who gives a fuck about a heart. Anyway, I'm sayin tho, I dont try to write on any particular topic or have an idea what im talkin about, I'm just pissed off or upset or happy or goofy or whatever ya'all dont get to see my happy or goofy poems tho cause the shit be wild and I'm always like what the fuck I'm a friggin crackhead over here...LOL ...Forreal tho.
    test
  6. Somber

Somber Knowing Passion

I'm the same way Bhitiah
    test
  7. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

It depends...I want to say both..

If I'm feeling creative I will just write and it will all flow pretty well.

But often especially recently and idea will pop into my mind and bam...I'll let loose!
    test
  8. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

Yeah I have a concrete idea of what I want it to turn out like.

Never goes as planned though.
    test
  9. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

if my verse seems very forced, and very mustered, then yes

if it seems abstract and normal, then no
    test
  10. Tempermentalist

Tempermentalist LetGoOfThePainMinistry

i never plan....i just think of the first line or 2 lines...b/c my openers are important to me for some reason..and i just go from there until i feel the piece is complete
    test
  11. RealMS

^yeah I can relate to that cause, most times that's what gets me. Lately I've been on a writing rampage and I'm trying to get it to where I can write everyday so I don't fall off track and have another "writer's block." Poetickz-man you make sense okay lol. Trust moi I understood it all.

Thanks ppl.
    test
  12. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

Very rarely have I ever sat down with the intention to write something specific.
    test
  13. kyza soza

kyza soza This way up.

Every single piece i've written was a keystyle.
    test
  14. RealMS

^you know how I feel about 'keystyles.' And you need to write a little more!
    test
  15. kyza soza

kyza soza This way up.

test
  16. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

hmm depends upon my mood and where i'm at sometimes if i have a lil liqour in me. i know sometimes i just pull alot of shit out the air. other times i can just take a word, thought or some topic and i just make it up as it goes.

also going to alot of open mics and the like we do some freewrites before the sessions. or hearing something at the poetry slams i go to. i can pull something out of what i hear.
    test
  17. RealMS

^Open mics are a good place to be when you need a lift off, but I never been to a poetry slam before. Good response-
    test
  18. kyza soza

kyza soza This way up.

^i have a keystyle but i do not care enough to parade it on the board.

But i'd be priveleged if you would take a look at it marie. No opinion matters more to me..
    test
  19. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

thanks realms. here let me put a link to some of my stuff up for you all. take a look and tell me what you think. i will start putting more shit up in here.

http://albumshare .pro boards41.com/i ndex.cgi?board=lyrics

audio of me here http://www .urbanexhibition.com /artists/ bands/10/
    test
  20. RealMS

^I couldn't get to the first link, website but I got the one with your audios. Thank you. I'll let you know what I think.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.