When people say...

Discussion in 'Ladies Lounge' started by tight-eyes, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedy Gunzalez

Speedy Gunzalez Awareness is my Alias

What?...

Kon, if you would not mind, could you please cite where you got those statistics?
    test
  2. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

^I read it somewhere... may have been a newspaper, magazine or a journal... can't recall... but I can do a search online for you. I'm not just pulling stuff out of my ass when I speak... no heat there, just real talk. Peace.

test
  3. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

What about people who hold such views because of lifelong firsthand observations??
    test
  4. FactUnderground

FactUnderground Eff You

test
  5. tight-eyes

tight-eyes Such a F*cking Lady!

I'd like to see that study, if you can find it.

I'm not sure, but was that a "yes" or a "no" to the question I asked you.
    test
  6. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

I agree enough to not elaborate....
    now at least,lol
    test
  7. I'm not sure if men are naturally more logical and women naturally more emotional--and by emotional you mean illogical I presume? Women are in general seen to be more emotional, but does that mean all women are? no, just like all women are not maternal or are girlie girls and fit into pink. So the question is, is there any truth to Generalizatons? Yes because generalizations in their thousands do equal empirical evidence, no because there are exceptions to these observations.An interesting question to ask is: By generalizing, does that mean we have unlocked the biological puzzle at all? Meaning, Can we then say women are this, men are that and thats final? If we say yes to this question we must face its reprocussions...I will go into these if anyone is interested
    test
  8. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Speedy and Tights,

Here are a few sources: D'Orban PT, Dalton J: Violent crime and the menstrual cycle Psychol Med 10:353–9, 1980

"In an older British sample, researchers noted that, in women who committed violent crime, an excess of offenses occurred on the 28th and 1st days of the menstrual cycle, with a lack of offenses during the ovulatory period. 37"

Julie Horney, Department of Criminal Justice, University of Nebraska, Omaha Law and Human Behavior

"Since at least the turn of the century, there have been reports indicating that women have an increased tendency toward criminal behavior during certain phases of the menstrual cycle. Recently these reports have served as the basis for a proposal to expand the insanity defense to recognize the impact of menstrual cycles in diminishing criminal responsibility. This paper reviews the empirical literature on the link between menstruation and crime and raises several critical questions regarding interpretation of this data. In light of these questions it is suggested that at this time an insanity defense based on menstrual symptomology would be inappropriate."

I think the insanity defense for PMS is bullshit and should be considered an insult to women.
    test
  9. samii so sexii

samii so sexii ..sunkist siren..

I hear that statement all the time, and it just sounds so condescending...like women just walk around making all types of impulsive decisions without using their brains, and that men are calculated and make strategic moves.

I can admit that I am a highly emotional person, but I feel that your instincts (which translates into emotions for me) are what help you make decisions...All people are motivated by their emotions at one time or another.

Hell, men kill and fight each other all the time becuase another guy did something to them that pissed them off. But no one is bringing up statistics about men killing each other...nope. we only talk about women on their period.

blah.
    test
  10. Phusion

Phusion WoW This Name is Old

uhhh Mrs. Bobbit anyone?
    test
  11. tight-eyes

I googled that study and here's an abstract I found on it...

Violent crime and the menstrual cycle.

d'Orban PT, Dalton J.

Of 50 women charged with crimes of violence, 44% committed their offence during the paramenstruum (P less than 0.02) and there was a significant lack of offences during the ovulatory and post-ovulatory phases of the menstrual cycle (P less than 0.01). This association could not be accounted for by psychosocial factors. Offences were unrelated to symptoms of premenstrual tension. When considering treatment, recurrent behavioural changes rather than subjective symptoms should be looked for.

PMID: 7189893 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

So, out of all 50 of the women in the first [25+ year old] study, 44% committed the crimes during the premenstrual part of their cycle. Ok...

1) The study also goes on to say that the association was unrelated to premenstrual tension.

2) That tells us nothing about the number of men who committed violent offenses... which I'm guessing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than 50. Women still commit violent crimes at a much lower rate than men do... and even that is an understatement.

3) Are you saying that violent crimes are the only "emotionally" driven ones?

4) Are you basing your whole position on criminal behavior?

As far as the second study:

1) I had to try extremely hard to stop myself from laughing uncontrollably to even be able to take this dude seriously... come on, now... his last name is "Horney", for crying out loud! LMFAO.

I kid... the guy appears to be pretty reputable, actually...

2) That abstract you posted suggests no conclusive evidence of what you're claiming. It says the link "between menstruation and crime... raises several critical questions regarding interpretation of this data"... "In light of these questions it is suggested that at this time an insanity defense based on menstrual symptomology would be inappropriate". That suggests to me that the research done up to that point, is inconclusive at best.

And what does any of this have to do with the topic... seriously.
    test
  12. tight-eyes

Thats the same thing I think when I hear people say that. It's insulting.

I agree... it's only the "feminine" emotions that are acknowledged and included in that sentiment, though.

Girl, you crack me up. You're raw... you say everything I think inside my head, only I've been conditioned to relay it a different way. I love your candor.
    test
  13. Speedy Gunzalez

Speedy Gunzalez Awareness is my Alias

Firsthand observations are central to understanding peculiar life experiences. However, we cannot look uncritically at how we interpret these observations particularly when they informed by opressive social structures.
    test
  14. samii so sexii

samii so sexii ..sunkist siren..

girl, thank you! i tend to write how I talk, and I usually write what I think, which is often how I talk...

LoL, now im just bein silly. But I say what I mean, and mean what I say.

and ITA with the point you made in your previous post about the amount of homocides committed by men in comparison to those committed by women, weather they're on their period or not. it just seems like a crock of you know what...
    test
  15. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

See, you're going to extremes... nobody said that men are ALL logical and that women are ALL emotional... just that in a general sense, women tend to be more emotional than men, while men are more logical.

And men do kill more and commit more violent crimes... a lot of it's dictated by emotions.
    test
  16. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Those studies were not where I got my initial information from... I had to google that to satisfy you and Speedy. I initially read the statement about women, crime and their periods somewhere else.

But Julie Horney is a woman... unless, there is a man named "Julie."

So that's just one study and one conclusion drawn that could be incorrect. How does she know that the offenses were unrelated to premenstrual tension?
    test
  17. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

No, I acknowledge ALL emotions... and all emotions are human.
    test
  18. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

True dat... but are you saying that only women face "oppressive social structures?" And if men don't face them or face them less than women, what about the other external stimuli that can cause an emotional response in men? Are those not as valid as "oppressive social structures?"
    test
  19. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Don't believe her... she's just boostin' you up because y'all are girls... you know, power in numbers. ha!
    test
  20. Mr ExZ

Mr ExZ evolved

i say they're right
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.