When Artists Milk Albums

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by sagacious infant, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sagacious infant

sagacious infant reflecting the sun

What exactly is the life span of an album?

Usher's "Confessions" was first released in March of 2004 and his singles still get regular radio play.

Justin Timberlake was releasing videos for his debut solo album a year after it had been released.

Maroon 5 (not exactly R&B) just released a new single last winter and their album, Songs About Jane, came out in 2002.

Is it a marketing strategy? Is it lack of creativity to make another album? Can you think of anymore examples of this?
    test
  2. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I don't really follow urban radio anymore... but I do remember them doing that for successful albums.

Like I remember almost every last song from Mary's "What's the 411?" album being released as singles.

And MJ's "Thriller" was on the charts for like 2-3 years.

It's definitely a marketing strategy.

Normally, the formula has always been... drop an album, tour for 2 years, drop another album, and so on... nowadays, cats are droppin' 2 albums in one year... which usually results in inferior material to me, not necessarily more creativity.
    test
  3. mama21

mama21 panama-red@blackplanet

i remember feeling that usher was one of the few artists that could take a long break and come back and still be a hit, like people haven't forgetten about him..well now thinking of it that could be the reason..working on albums not just one at times, touring.even with groups maybe differences with one another have developed that we may not know about..it could be a number of things..
    test
  4. noreaga

noreaga New Member

8701>confessions
    test
  5. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

As long as it can last. On the average for a quality album it's 6-12 months...
    test
  6. X sample

X sample New Member

its just means u have a really successful album on your hands..
    test
  7. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

yep....i'd rather wait 2 years for 1 good album from an artist than hear them put out a mediocre album every year
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.