what's your weekly routine

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by -GZ-, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

as importantly, what are your goals?
    test
  2. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

My gym I'm currently at has no barbells (Moving to one with barbells in mid September), keep this in mind. Right now, for goals, I'm trying to get stronger, not really focused on my physique.

First thing I do, sets of pushups, and some dips (I can barely do two chest dips, but continuing to do them is just gonna help me). I do some leg raises mon/wed/fri.

Cardio: Mon-fri, I usually do the upright bike with resistance for 20-30min but it became too easy to I'm back to running/speed walking on the treadmill.

Monday (Chest)
    - DB bench press: 5x5 (This is the base for my routine, but it's sometimes too tough on that last set)
    - DB incline bench press: 5x5
    - Seated machine bench press: 5x5
    - Pec dec: 5x5
    - I might add in some more pushups in addition to the sets of pushups I do as soon as I get started in the gym

Tuesday (Shoulders)
    - DB shoulder press: 5x5
    - Machine shoulder press: 5x5
    - Front DB raise: 5x5 (or 10, if you consider one side is one rep)
    - Side raises: 5x5

Wednesday (Back)
    - Wide-grip lat pulldown: 5x5
    - Seated cable row: 5x5
    - V-bar pulldown: 5x5
    - One-arm DB row: 5x5
    - I might throw in some shrugs if I have time, 5x5 again

Thursday (Bis/Tris)
    - Bench dips: Either sets of 10, or sets to failure
    - EZ-bar close-grip bench press: 5x5
    - Reverse-grip bench press (EZ-bar again): 5x5
    - Hammer curls: 5x5
    - Probably some more bench dips to failure

Friday (Legs)
    - DB step ups: 5x5
    - Lying machine squat: 5x5
    - Leg press: 5x5 (I make sure my range of motion is as deep as a squat as possible)
    - Squat using bench press machine (One of those bench/squat machines): 5x5

I try to stay away from isolations, but I still have some just to have four/five movements per muscle group. Lmao. I'm open to any feedback/advice on improving my routine for my goals, if anyone has any.

When I move to the new gym, I'll definitely add the BB bench, BB squat, and BB deadlift.
    test
  3. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

tough because you have no barbells, but my only suggestion would be to do upper/lower/upper/lower/upper & lower rather than upperx4, lowerx1. i understand you're working different areas of your upper body each day, bi's, tri's, shoulder, back, but you can maximize your workout by doing 2 areas each day instead of one. like instead of just doing triceps, work your shoulders as well. do biceps and forearms. chest and upper back. i would also suggest doing all reps to failure - which i'm sure you're doing since you're doin 5 reps. just make sure that last rep you're dyin to finish - but not hurting yourself.

just my .02.

my routine is HIIT. boot camp style tabata workouts, plus mma 3 nights a week.
    test
  4. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

example of what we do at my boot camp. this is one of the trainers just givin an example of some cardio exercises we do, ropes & kettlebell swings.

[youtube]b5eCMvzbrcE[/youtube]
    test
  5. DahStoryTella

Yeah, I'll definitely be adding some new/excluding some other movements once I change gyms. I really just chose this current one because it's slightly closer to where I live and the gym I'm moving to doesn't take cash, so I held it off. I just feel like I'm missing out on a lot without barbells, basically. A lot of people I know have that ''If you don't deadlift or squat, get out the gym!'' attitude, I wanna see if I agree with that. Haha. I'll definitely look into trying out that new split you suggested, as well. And, yeah I definitely try to make sure I almost can't finish the 5th rep because it's too difficult. I'm somewhat confident that I'll know how it feels when I should drop down in weight because I'm risking injury.

Dope. I've been interested in this type of training for a minute, would love to try it. How long is your cardio session doing that type of exercise? Has to feel like hell after a while, haha.
    test
  6. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

The thing is, those people are kinda right if you're lookin to do some bulking up. but really, you can do the same exercises with dumbbells if you do heavier loads. barbells are obviously better if you're gonna do snatches, or want to share the weight between arms, but you can get the same exercise by usin, say, 2 70lb weights instead of 1 140lb stacked barbell.

barbells are always better to have as an option, but if they're not an option, substituting dumbbells is fine.

it's a 5 minute warmup followed by 30 minutes of workout and then 10 minutes of finishers.

warmup is generally stretching.

an example of what we did today is:

60/15 (60 sec. work, 15 sec. rest) 4 rounds, 3 sets. 2 exercises per station.

ex. 1A - kettlebell 1 leg romanian deadlift. switch legs halfway
    ex. 1B - kettlebell swings

ex. 2A - TRX inverted row
    ex. 2B - Medicine ball squat slams

ex. 3A - Renegade rows
    ex. 3B - Ropes

Finishers - 1 set of 15/15, 1 set of 20/10, 8 rounds per set.

Burpees for all 8 rounds.

trust me, you're fuckin cooked at the end. i've puked idk how many times and passed out mid-workout a few times.
    test
  7. DahStoryTella

test
  8. DahStoryTella

Finally changed gyms, got to one with barbells. Haha.

New routine, I'm still training for just strength.

- I start with cardio: Either, mod-high intensity on an upright bike with resistance for 20min, or I'll be running. I'm thinking of going with running, as it's tougher for me.

- I do Dips (Tues/thurs to go along with tricep days) and ab work (Mon/wed/fri) before I start my lifting routine.

After that...
    Monday
    - DB bench press: 5x5 (I would do BB every time I bench, but I just love the DB press movement)
    - BB squat: 5x5
    - BB deadlift: 5x5

Tuesday
    - DB shoulder press: 5x5
    - BB curl: 5x5
    - Weighted bench dips

Wednesday
    - BB bench press: 5x5

Thursday
    - Machine or BB military press: 5x5
    - Alt. hammer curl: 5x5 (10 reps in total if you're going by each arm)
    - BB CG (Close-grip) bench press: 5x5

Friday
    - BB bench press: 5x5

I'd add the incline bench press, but my shoulder can't take it. Probably should get it checked out. Anyways, once again, open to any advice/opinions.
    test
  9. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

No no no no no...

You are on overkill with the bench, squat, and deadlift, especially if you're truly doing vomit-inducing 5x5's. Too much, way too much.

You're taxing your CNS so much on your BB that your squat has to be suffering, and I don't even want to know how terrible the deadlift is once the squats are completed.

Split the compounds up....

Monday- BB Bench/ BB curl/ dips ( throw in some iso curls, tri exts)
    Tuesday- Squat/ Shoulder press (throw in some lunges, DB shoulder raises)
    Wednesday- OFF
    Thursday- DB Bench/ BB curl/ dips
    Friday- Deadlift/ BB rows (throw in reverse hypers, romanian deads)

I'm just throwing ideas out there, but what you have right now is awful, don't continue it. Two of the big 3 compounds in one day is brutal enough, 3 in one day is just stupid and counter-productive.
    test
  10. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

^ this guy knows his shit.

RDL is definitely the best for your hamstrings, and glutes. steve's right though, you should be doing either squat or deadlift one day, not both, and not on consecutive days.

don't kill yourself to bulk up. you'll get there, but not by hurting yourself.
    test
  11. DahStoryTella

(On my phone/too lazy to copy zyclone's post) But props, y'all. I just didn't think doing a specific big compound once a week would help because it would just be once. I haven't started this routine, it was just what I had in mind. I usually post my routines because I make them myself, and I know my knowledge on lifting is still new so any feedback from people with more lifting knowledge is great.

I've been actually seeing more gains doing specific groups once a week, too. I just thought doing them twice/three times would HELP, even though I tried that before and saw little to no gains at all.

Also, thanks for being blunt and just telling me my shit is awful. I wouldn't wanna do this routine I had planned out for a few weeks and hurt myself, haha. Just to save myself from embarassment (I doubt it lmao), I actually had another routine put together that only had me doing the compounds once, on seperate days. Like, Bench on Monday, Deadlift on Wednesday, and Squats on Friday, with 2-3 other movements that went along with the muscles worked in those much like the previous routine I had up in this thread.
    test
  12. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

I really want to try this
    test
  13. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

I use Layne's routine.

Layne Norton’s Workout Routine – Power and Hypertrophy

Day One – Upper Power
    3 or 4 Compound pressing and pulling movements, 3-5 sets in the 5 rep range, and 1 Accessory Movement

Day Two – Lower Power
    2 or 3 Squatting and Deadlifting movements, 3-5 sets in the 5 rep range, and 1 Accessory Movement

Day Three – Off

Day Four – Hypertrophy Chest/Arms
    3 Benching movements, 2-3 sets in the 8-12 rep range. 1-2 reps short of failure.
    3 Supersets consisting of 2 exercises each, 3 biceps and 3 triceps, 3 sets in the 8-12 range, 1-2 reps short of failure.
    1 Chest accessory exercises, 3 sets, 8-12 reps, 1-2 reps short of failure.

Day Five – Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps
    4 Supersets consisting of 2 exercises each, 3 Shoulders and 3 Backs in the 8-12 reps range, and 2 Traps in the 10-15 rep range, 2-3 sets each. 1-2 reps short of failure.
    1 Optional Back compound, 2 sets in the 8-12 rep range, 1-2 reps short of failure.

Day Six – Hypertrophy Legs/Calves
    2 Supersets consisting of 2-3 exercises each, 4-5 sets in the 8-15 range. 1-2 reps short of failure.

Day Seven – Off

Sunday: Upper Power

* 5×5 or 3×5 for all lifts(5×5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3×5 on cut)
    * Barbell Bench Press
    * Barbell Rows
    * Military Press
    * Barbell Shrugs

Monday: Lower Power

* 5×5 or 3×5 for all lifts(5×5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3×5 on cut)
    * Back Squat
    * Stiff Leg Deadlift, Or Romanian DL
    * 6-8 sets of Standing Calf, little higher reps, I like to do 6-8 on heavy days

Tues: Off (I usually do some cardio)

Wednesday: Hypertrophy Chest/Arms
    (For hypertrophy days I never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)

* DB Incline Bech 3×8-12
    * Barbell Close Grip Bench 3×8-12
    * DB Flat Bench 2×8-12
    * Preacher Curls 3×8-12 super setted with
    Standing French Press 3×8-12
    * Push Downs 3×8-12 super setted with
    DB Hammer Curls
    * Cable Crossovers 3×8-12
    * Machine Curl 3×8-12 supersetted with
    Machine Dips 3×8-12

Thursday: Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps
    (For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)

* DB Shoulder Press 3×8-12 super setted with
    DB Front Raise 3×8-12
    * DB One Arm Row 3×8-12 super setted with
    DB Arnold Press 3×8-12
    * Lat Pull Down (Wide Grip) 2×8-12 super setted with
    DB Shrugs 2×10-15
    * Lat Pull Down (Close grip, palms facing in) 2×8-12 super setted with
    DB Upright Row 2×10-15
    * T-bar row 2×8-12 (Usually too tired/dead to do this last exercise, but some times i do it)

Friday: Hypertrophy Legs/Calves
    (For hypertrophy days I never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)

* Hack Squat 5×8-12 super setted with
    Standing Calf 5×10-15
    * Leg Extensions 5×10-15 super setted with
    Sitting Leg Curls 5×10-15 super setted with
    Sitting Calf Raise 4×8-12

Saturday: Off (cardio if you want)
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.