What's the martial art to learn if you really want to beat the shit out of people?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Tequila Jong-il, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Can you recommend some good Rickson footage for me to check out? You don't have to find it if you don't want, just point me in the right direction.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

my bad, somehow i missed this. hmmmmm. most of what i have is on dvd or in books or magazines.

i do HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend buying the movie "choke" if you havent seen it already. you can watch most of the fights through the last link at the bottom and can find the video on the internet, but i really recommend watching it on a tv instead of a computer. its a video of one of his vale tudo tournaments in japan, and it also goes behind the scenes.

[​IMG]
    link to buy:
    Amazon.com: Rickson Gracie: Choke: Rickson Gracie, Robert Raphael Goodman: Movies & TV

check out these
    Rickson Gracie MMA Fight Videos
    test
  3. crazyjoeguns

crazyjoeguns fuck u

jiu jitsu .. it's been proven.. you can only beat jiu jitsu with jiu jitsu..
    test
  4. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

then we got a hard time explaining rampage slamming arona, or shoguns clobbering of arona, or even sokodjou beating arona with a bomb

how about when mousasi upkick ko'd jacare?

jiu jitsu guys have been beaten many times with other techniques/styles
    test
  5. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

didnt crazy horse pull guard on that guy behind the stage at the pride show from chute boxe?
    test
  6. Ben Official

ehhhhhh.... arona shoulda grabbed the leg to prevent the slam, mousasi got lucky with the upkick, everyone has a punchers chance. its not gunna win you a fight 10 outa 10 times. plus in present mma its not one style vs another. you have a one on one street fight with a strictly bjj guy vs a strictly boxer, or strict karate black belt, whatever, and the bjj expert should win most of the time. not for big bar brawls though when you just wanna punch someone and get the fuck out, or take on 5 guys at once
    test
  7. Ben Official

no idea
    test
  8. Thoughts.

Thoughts. you know

test
  9. Ben Official

[youtube]5-kw1KBU2ps&feature=related[/youtube]

haha thanks i was looking for this video for sooo long. imbedded it for ya
    test
  10. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I have to disagree with this. They weren't the best MMA fighters because they didn't know what to do on the ground. MAJORITY of martial arts do no teach you defense once you hit the ground. They teach you striking. There were a lotta black belt karate or tae kwon do and all that nonsense in early UFC days but when a wrestler/jujitsu du' went against them, they got destroyed. This sport transformed when good stand up fighters trained in jujitsu (you need some base of this to succeed in MMA these days)...
    test
  11. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I have to disagree with you 100%. If you're elite in jujitsu, you don't have to take them down. You don't need to double leg 'em or single leg 'em or slam 'em or anything. You get a good clench and pull guard... Damien Maia is the perfect example. Did you watch UFC 91? He did it against a much better stand up guy and choked him out within minutes.

And you can say you bite and gauge and all that shit but you think the person doing jujitsu can't do that? There are no rules so there's ways jujitsu fighters can manipulate the situation even better based the fact that they can do illegal shit. You act like you'd be the only one with teeth or nails or fingers...
    test
  12. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

I hear what you saying.....

I think the difference is this...I aint talking about an accomplished fighter......take any karate expert, BJJ or any martial art for that matter and put them against a normal person, they will win obviously......and this topic is about bar fighting not fighting other people who have trained in some fighting style....

I refuse to believe that BJJ is the best fighting style....for one on one it may be the most effective, but real fights are rarely one on one, also real fights have a time limit, the longer it goes on the more chance of you getting hurt, thats why you end it quick....clinching and pulling guard is NOT recommended....

Its difficult for some people to seperate...of course BJJ is a top style and has been proven as effective, but so has many other styles....no Gracie or BJJ fighter is undefeated, are they?? the top fighters right now dont seem to be BJJ experts (although they obviously have skills in it), Fedor, Silva etc.....

One style isnt enough, its never been enough....you need a bunch of techniques and styles in your arsenal.....

In a street fight, I will always say Krav Maga, Boxing, Thai Boxing etc are the way to go, learning choke outs and arm brakes and hand traps etc will of course help but relying on that aint wise....

Just my opinion, if you think BJJ is the one and only style worth learning thats on you....

PEACE
    test
  13. Ben Official

rickson
    test
  14. SiFu

Ahhhh.....well then I stand corrected.....doesnt he only do BJJ competitions or does he do the MMA ones too???

PEACE
    test
  15. SiFu

hahaha well I just youtubed him and he does MMA aswell.....interesting.....

PEACE
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

And no, I disagree with this too. Karate, for the most part, is pretty fake. So are most Americanized martial arts. For example: You take a karate black belt and put 'em against a football player who happens to tackle the du' and take 'em to the ground and ground 'n pound 'em. The karate guy will have no idea what to do. Karate does not train ground fighting. More often than not, a REAL FIGHT will end up on the ground unless u straight up boxing it out. There's A LOT of stand up fighting styles that will not realistically work in REAL street fighting situations and will leave u VERY exposed due to usage of high kicks that shouldn't be used in a street fight or something very formulated that doesn't lay out reactions to the unpredictable shit that happens in fights.

Again, for a one on one, jujitsu is BY FAR the most effective fighting style.

test
  17. Namor

Namor Prodigal Sun-god

there is no "ultimate style"

it all depends on who is learning what...

it comes down to the individual martial artist/fighter-not so much the style he uses....

and don't confuse combat sport fighting that has rules and referee's to actual real world combat in which there are no rules & you can get crippled or killed....
    test
  18. Blitz_krieg

Blitz_krieg SAY WHA.........

try getting a gun... thats a pretty effeciant way to clear a pool full of cats.. im jk...
    I would definatley say Muay Thai..
    Alot of great MMA fighters are very skilled with Muay Thai.
    Also, check into Kenpo.. It is self defence and you will learn alot counter attacks but counters come very helpful when someone throwing a punch..of a pool stick. LOL.
    but before if u get into a class and learn some shit try haveing your friends kick the shit out of your shins for hours at a time to kill all your nerve endings so you can have Iron shins... its helps..In the longs run... =)
    then you can work on Iron shirt!
    test
  19. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ More "great MMA fighters" are skilled in jujitsu and/or wrestling...

Let's see.... What is the Heavyweight champion right now? Wrestler... Who was the heavyweight champ before him? Wrestler... What is the interim heavyweight champ? Jujitsu. What is the number 1 challenger to him? Jujitsu....

Welterweight... Karate/wrestling/jujitsu
    Lightweight... world class jujitsu with good boxing
    Light heavyweight... good mix of everything
    Middleweight... muay thai and jujitsu....

I think jujitsu and wrestling is the most common... Fact of the matter is, the average fight ends on the ground... Fact of the matter is, most stand up styles do not teach you grappling so once you end up on the floor, you end up helpless... Hence, in a one on one situation wrestling/jujitsu are probably thee best because you can control the fight on the floor, throw strikes, and submit them....
    test
  20. Ben Official

*JIU jitsu is most effective. jujitsu is the japanese version and although it shares some similarities its a totally different and way less effective martial art. i was mistaken i thought you did bjj.

and i agree with the guy who said its more about the person than the fighting style
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.