Whats the level you guys set your mic preamps to??

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by AndrewC, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewC

AndrewC New Member

Heys, quick question..
    I've just hooked up my Rode NT1A to my presonus firebox, and it seems like the levels are pretty soft, even with the mic preamp knob close to half. Is it suppose to be this way, and if so.. am i suppose to boost the levels on the knob or just amplify it once I've recorded everything?

Thanks!
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

It's very important to look at the meters for this.. you want the input level on the track you're recording on to peak somewhere between -6 to -12.. this leaves plenty of head room.. The loudness will be accomplished in the mix. I usually end up with an input around 30 to 35db for my preamp gain.. Your meters should be in the green most of the time with an occassional peak into the yellow.. that will allow optimal room for your compression and eq to work more effectively. Make sense?
    test
  3. AndrewC

AndrewC New Member

alright thanks.. so i guess its normal then to have the preamps set quite high up, i thought there was a prob with it or smth..

thanks for the input, def made sense!
    test
  4. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

It depends on how you look at it.. don't judge how high your setting is by the actualy db gain level.. Some mics need more gain than others, so what is high for one mic could be low for another one.. That's where the meters are very important.. if you are staying green most of the time and occasionally peaking in the yellow.. maybe even very rarely into the orange.. then that would represent a medium level.. which could be 30db for some mics.. could be more or less for others.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.