"What's The Best Vocal Mic For Rapping"

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Mr.BYTCH KILLA, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Mr.BYTCH KILLA Hater Abolisher

Is that number real pimp shyt I may use it sometimes......How much does these mics cost....the re20 and sm7?

I may get these two also for my studio.....so now thats four good mics for diffrent voices.....the at2020,the mxl condenser mic,the re20 and sm7......This line up doesnt sound bad at all....and im pretty sure that ill find my favorite one for my voice out of these four....Out B.K. ---bout to go to work to make some money for my recording shyt....How about you?....Me?....Im a go getta I gotta have it.....Paper Stacks!!!Ill fuck wit yall later Im out again....
    test
  2. Civilian2004

Civilian2004 New Member

also, aside from the mic(s) you're planning on getting, what preamp are you looking at to go with it/them?
    test
  3. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

RE20
    SM7
    test
  4. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Im riding with the AT2020 mic for a Bill......Thats final .....this will be my first mic.....second a tight azz MXL mic, Im conifdent that MXL will make my pockets swell...lol....Out...
    test
  5. Civilian2004

Civilian2004 New Member

are you planning to be releasing albums or mix tapes? and how professional do you want your music to sound (in comparison to the songs you hear on the radio/commercial releases)?
    test
  6. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

I just plan to start out selling my own ungergrond Cd's myself and save all the money for even better equipment....I stay looking in pawn shops when im out....Or if i gotta have it new I would get it new...im working hard for myself...

I JUST WANT A DESENT SOUND FOR RIGHT NOW....ANYTHING BETTER THAN THIS DYNAMIC MIC I GOT NOW....iTS WAS CHEAP AND SOUNDS TERRIBLE....i HATE IT...i USE IT TO DECORATE MY STUDIO CORNER....But yea that at2020 dont sound like a bad mic after all....I also got this MXL magazine and I got me eye on one of them.

Im going to rap myself and produce other real rappers like myself no games baby...I love this site it so alid abck and playa type...Outty
    test
  7. -Marxist-

-Marxist- wtf r u thinking

-Sighs-

Can we be practical for a minute,

1stly - You claim you do your research bud, yet can't even take the time to google where to find these mics?

2ndly - the standard for rap vocals currently is the Sony C800G it should run you a cool 7 - 8 G's

3rdly - the reason you know engineers who can make $200 mics sound decent is because they've taken ALOT of time learning method, technique, science - training their ears & most importantly - learning their tools biblically!

if you truly believe you are dedicated enough to do this then go for it, but please believe if you are merely engineering as a way to produce cheaper Hip Hop Songs without truly caring about when & why to mix - save your money, plow time into your true love & leave the technical side to the people who enjoy & know it.

Because true enjoyment of mixing music or as a hobby where you have alternative income - are the only ways I could justify someone spending masses of money to make music, because it takes years of dedication & training to understand why & when to apply what to an element of a mix.

& we haven't even tipped mastering yet... :)

EDIT: & please stop aiming your ultimate goal at an MXL mic - come on bud have some motivation aim for a U87, Gefell, Pleuso or something you can take pride in... Geez... MXL? Really? When did that become the noob preference?
    test
  8. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Im going with the M-audio firewire 410 ....this interface has a pre-amp on it....this is just for starters.....I plan to upgrade all my shyt piece by piece,,,,Out
    test
  9. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Just becuase you dont sound good on a mxl mic that dont mean I wont sound good....Im going get me a mxl mic just for my studio collection I personally may love how it sounds....How music sounds is based on opinions not fact.....What may not sound good to you the next person may just love it......

So fuck a 3,000 to 8,000 dollar mic becuase I could buy this and my shyt would still sound like shyt.....

Im not ready to spend that much money Ill just learn how to make a cheap mic sound like a 7,000 dollar mics......If its possible Im with it....Outty...
    test
  10. -Marxist-

I've never personally bothered to stress my vocals on an MXL... But I Sound Pretty Solid On A C800G Going through a Vintage 1970 1073....

Secondly you don't seem to understand the post in general and people who take offence to help are the same people who won't see a shred of my help again.
    Good Luck To You.

It's Not. If it was, Antares Mic Modeller would be the most valuable DX Plugin on the market.
    Yes, alot of gear is acquired for novelty, yes, alot of the gear in studios may not be a neccessity... But 3 things you will NEVER be able to compromise for:

A Good Input Chain
    A Good Monitoring Chain
    A Great Room To Do It All In

^^If any of these 3 are weak, I Don't care how good you are, you're taking a stab in the dark EVERYTIME you face a project, from tracking to final product all decisions will be an educated guess at best.
    test
  11. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Secondly you don't seem to understand the post in general and people who take offence to help are the same people who won't see a shred of my help again.
    Good Luck To You.

HOLD UP MAN I JOIN THIS SITE TO LEARN .....AND DONT HAVE MUCH EXP. IN HOME RECORDING AT ALL.....I CAN BE A MAN AND SAY THIS BECAUSE IT TRUE......BUT I LOVE TO CREATE FAT TRACKS AND RAP FOR THE LOVE OF IT .....AND FUN....

I DID NOT GET OFFENSIVE WITH YOU IF THATS WHAT YOU THINKING AND IF I DID OFFEND YOU I APOLOGIZE PIMP....I RESPECT YO KNOWLEDGE ON RECORDING.....
    SO I ASK U TOO PLEASE HELP ME GET TO WHERE I WANNA BE IN THIS RECORDING SHYT.....U MAY BE VERY PROUD OF ME IF SO ....IM CONFIDENT OF MY FLOW AND BEAT MAKING IDEAZ.....HELP A GEE LIKE ME....OUT...BK
    test
  12. ~Da Hitman~

~Da Hitman~ Music is Soul

Honestly, these guys are correct in the sense that you get what you pay for. Yes, Neumann and Sony make hellified mics, but you don't necessarily have to pay 8,000 on a mic alone to get cd quality, which I believe is the point you are trying to make Mr. BK. My question to you is...why not do it right the first go around? All you need is about 1 grand and a decent understanding of mixing to get CD quality my dude. I love to rap/record people, so I guess you can say i'm trying to teach myself at a young age, but I really wouldn't want to see you crash and burn with an At 2020 and an MXL condenser mic. Try a rode NT1-A out it's only 2 bills. And the M-Audio 410 should fit it nicely. But, to be completely truthful my least expensive mic is an AT 4050, and it really works wonders. You can get them for 450 or so. Trust me, if you take my advice you will not be disappointed.
    test
  13. slvicick

slvicick New Member

Yeah, everybody always says they will get something cheap to start off, then upgrade later. They usually end up wit a bunch of mics in the 100-300 dollar range. A big waste of money.

If you just take yo time and get quality pieces, you will thank yoself in the end
    test
  14. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

O No Slvick ........Im going to upgrade .....Thats so fa sho' pimp......After i buy these beginning mics Im moving up to the big brand mics.....Ill just have to save thats all.....I work at a resturant and sell my mixed Cd's at 5 dollars a pop a song That i made on each one.....This is my plan to make more money......I got the right recording site in my corner so i cant lose.......Im didnt join this site to play games about recording........I will stay dedicated and true.......I just gotta take it one day at a time.......I get to where I wanna be......Watch me Slvick.....But thanks for yo opinon about fools upgrading......Im not one of them lieing azz tricks....Im real about my shyt and cant get no realer.....Out....B.K.
    test
  15. ~Da Hitman~

Thats good to see that you will venture out into the big name stuff, because alot of people haven't. But anyways since you are a producer and everything you can hook me up with beats!
    test
  16. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Hell Yea Hit .....We cam collaberate and create some shyt one day if u just stay down.....Im staying down it just the Southern Way......Im down for what ever that sounds real and positve.....

Also I wanna Thank all the playaz who repiled to this thread to make it one of the Rapmusic.com hard hitting dope azz thread Title.......I really appreciate You Pimps Playaz Hustlers and Haters...lol...

I made a tight azz beat yesterday on my shyt.......I title the song I plan to write to it......Don't Want It All But Just Enough....Out B.K.

Thanks Again Fellaz....
    test
  17. Beege

Beege New Member

Yea Mane Go With The RE20 like 'Cane Mentioned. I Was SO Close To Getting That Mic. Still Got The $100 Shockmount. The RE20 With FMR Audio's RNP (Really Nice Preamp) Is A Perfect Match. The Best Pre You Could Cop For $500. Its A Transparent Pre With No Bullshit Coloration That You'd Prob Face When Purchasing A Preamp In This Price Range--Just Warm, Fat Vocals.

To Get A Great Sound From It All Tho, You Need A(n) Excellent:
    1) Mic
    2) Preamp
    3) Converters
    4) Montiors
    test
  18. ~Da Hitman~

Thats a good goal for him to look for in the future, but I don't think his pockets can swing that at the moment.
    test
  19. -Marxist-

"Warmth" Is Usually Achieved Through Coloration Of The Sound e.g. "Pleasant" Distortion.
    So It's An Oxymoron To Claim A Pre As Transparent & Claim It's Warm. A Truly Transparent Pre Would Be Something Like The True Systems Precision Series Preamps, Contributing No Nothing!

A Warming Preamp Would Be Your Avalons, UA's, Pacificas etc.

And The Only Preamp Which Can Achieve Both IMO (Or Atleast A Pleasant Amount Of Each) Would Be The Neve Series Of Preamps 1073 - Portico & Most Inbetween.
    test
  20. Nick Knox

Nick Knox Nick Knox Muzik Co

i need to get a new mic soon... i was lookin at the at2020 just for a lil home set-up to fuck around on..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.