whats more of a certainty fact or truth?

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Facts can change. They change all the time. Dont come at me saying fact is..
    Because facts change everytime new information and new knowledge is applied to a thing.
    Whereas in the case of truth whats true is true, no matter how many times the facts change.
    So u can live your life based upon an unsure theory or an unstable and ever changing fact. I prefer to live on a rock solid foundation based on truth. Truth exists, some have found it, some will, some will forever be tossed to and froe by every changing direction of the wind, but in the end the only thing that will be left standing when the foundation is shaken is the rock of truth it all sits on top of.
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

1+1=2 is both a fact and the truth

hypothetically speaking, if god said that 1+1=3 hed be wrong.
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

Yes facts can eventially line up with truth but not everythong considered a fact is true
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

test
  5. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

usually I disagree wit ur rants but I'm still able to counter. This one makes absolutely no sense bcuz you don't understand that a "fact" is "true". What we thought as "fact" has changed before but a "fact" is only replaced by another "fact" not biblical bull skeet
    test
  6. TheBigPayback

Ya the end result is truth but until the replacive info is there...there is facts and there is truth. And the two are not equal. Facts CAN equal truth, but facts are not always truth.
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

give me an example
    test
  8. TheBigPayback

It WAS a fact pluto was a planet. Fact is now that it is a moon. Truth is pluto is a moon.

It was a fact piltdownman was a tooth from a early ancestor. Fact is now that its a pig tooth. Truth is its a pig tooth.
    test
  9. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

if it wasn't true then its not a fact its misinformation
    test
  10. breathlesss

breathlesss Registered Sex Offender

pluto is an exoplanet, and you're an anus
    test
  11. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

define fact.
    i think i know what you're trying to get at, but you're falling short.

a fact is true, which is why it's a fact.

otherwise it's a theory.

:numaan:
    test
  12. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

wrong

they thought it was a fact, but in fact were wrong.

i see what you mean though

but 1+1=2 will always be a fact in this dimension.
    test
  13. TheBigPayback

Right but we classify things as facts based on what we know, using the pluto example.
    Wether we call it a fact that its a planet in our solar system, the truth remains its a moon, until our facts change with the knowledge we get that reflects that.
    test
  14. TheBigPayback

Word. Ya im just demonstrating truth holds more certainty than fact generally.
    test
  15. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

pluto is a dwarf planet, not a moon. the reason it was re-categorized is because it was discovered that there are a number of these dwarfs beyond neptune, among which pluto is but one.

i do see what you're getting at, however this line of rhetoric can be misleading because things like the concept of 'planet' are intrinsically tied up in a number of facts. planet is a term we designate to celestial bodies orbiting a star which are massive enough to be rounded by their own gravity. pluto qualifies for that title. however for the purposes of mapping our solar system, we consider the first 8 planets to be of the most significance. so you could argue that it is our own bias in the model of our solar system we've created which inclines us not to include the numerous dwarf planets beyond neptune.

the real point is that its easy to pick apart semantics. but try that with an actual fact and things become a bit more difficult. for instance, pluto is a celestial body orbiting our sun. that is a fact. to argue otherwise requires that we cast doubt upon our own basic perceptive ability, at which point nothing is a fact and there is no truth.
    test
  16. TheBigPayback

I wasnt goin for acuracy on the example just to give an example for my line of reasoning
    test
  17. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i understand, i just think that exploring the context of your example helps to highlight what it is that's actually being discussed here.

it seems the argument you're making might be better aimed at concepts than at facts.

concepts are what humans use in the models of reality that we create in our heads, as a way to sort of organize what we see.

so maybe our concept of something might change, in light of new facts. but assuming that our information isn't flawed, the facts themselves are much more solid.

for example, you pick up a rock at in a river bed. it's a fact that the rock exists. you can feel, see, and if you're so inclined even taste the rock, as proof of its existence. based on the texture or color of the rock you might conclude that its a certain type of natural rock, only to discover upon having it tested in a lab that is in fact an artificial replica, made by some company and dumped in that river bed in order to trick you into thinking you had a real rock. your conception of the rock has been shattered, but the rock itself remains. its existence is impartial towards your conception of it. that is where 'fact' derives its true value.
    test
  18. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

wouldnt that be a mind fuck if somehow science proved that 1+1=2 isnt always right?

i dont mean if you had two objects like stones

i mean if there became a new physics formula because of a new discovery of a force or whatever that made it untrue in all situations
    test
  19. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

So are you.
    test
  20. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

e-laborate.

:numaan:
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.