What year did Mainstream Hip-Hop start to go downhill?

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Temp_Guest2, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

I think 50 cent was the major start of where we are today.

BTW Drake is a talented artist, and makes some good music.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  2. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

lol, fucking this
    test
  3. Will Slaughter

Will Slaughter New Member

this meng. I remember when 50 cent got really famous and mass amounts of people mistook him for a good rapper. That was really the first time i started getting angry at undeserving people getting big. Before that i guess i just ignored that shit...
    test
  4. dieversecity

dieversecity Residuals.

Pink Floyd is def lyrical..and Rakim was infinitely more like his peers than rappers today.

I'm not completely sure exactly which particular group of rappers you were referring to though.
    test
  5. Gridlocked

Gridlocked DownbytheSea Ya Hurd

lil jon is a homo, his music makes no sense and i wish he gets shot in the head
    test
  6. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

He may not be the most lyrical rapper or the most technical or what the fuck ever else all these underground heads harp on, but Drake's music is fun to listen to. That's good enough for me.

Maybe one day I can evolve to be as cool as you and only like underground stuff and realize that my mind has been tainted with "commercial garbage". I'll start listening to all kinds of crazy underground rappers who had their beats made by some white dude in phoenix named Max Avenger or some shit.

But for tonight I'm gonna go to a club downtown and hopefully they'll play "Over" and I'll drunkenly dance my ass off; hopefully with some 19-year old Puerto Rican chick who goes to NYU...

...I'll be sure to pm you the details of how I fucked the shit of her in her dorm room while you were jerking off to an Atmosphere CD.
    test
  7. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

You're kidding right? 50 cent is a GOOD rapper. "Do you motherfuckers listen to music or just skim through it"
    test
  8. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

How much Pink Floyd music have you heard?! Pink Floyd (aside from the Wall and some early Syd Barrett stuff) is probably 90% instrumental, lol. I have every Pink Floyd album besides Obscured by Clouds and Atom Heart Mother, and I've heard both of those at least once.

I love Pink Floyd for the record, but lyrical they are not, that's not their focus anyways.
    test
  9. Will Slaughter

Will Slaughter New Member

fools listen to music or do you just skim through it.. waaat
    test
  10. dieversecity

dieversecity Residuals.

Watchu mean by "lyrical" then? "Animals" wasnt lyrical?
    test
  11. scrotie

scrotie aka lil generation gap

cudi
    kanye
    em
    jay-z
    b.o.b.
    drake
    occasionally lil wayne

whats wrong with mainstream? i like those fellas
    test
  12. pill grim

pill grim CHRONNIE SPARKO

Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  13. swolfdab.

swolfdab. 831's Finest.

lmfao @ "hate me now"

[youtube]fnRXm1DTmbg[/youtube]
    test
  14. Jizznips

Jizznips New Member

Yeah Drake seems like a real hip hop head from that one interview I saw of him
    test
  15. CamTheWiz

CamTheWiz in real time

the year puff daddy came out with the exact musical and business philosophy as mc hammer and was allowed to keep his credibility. the floodgates of cornball shit opened.
    test
  16. Temp_Guest2

Temp_Guest2 Dope Lyricist/Producer

The types of "Underground" differ. I don't listen to Underground music to be different. It's impossible to ignore mainstream music. There's certain artists (mainstream) that I think are good but most of those are outside of Hip-Hop.
    test
  17. Dutch Vega

Dutch Vega G-TEC CAPO! PRAAAAAAT!

Mainstream Hip-Hop hasn't gone downhill, this is the same thing as the is Hip-Hop dead convo... sorry to be a dick, but your just getting older & more miserable. The truth is there millions of ppl out there right NOW, that fucking LOVE the music coming out as much as we loved the Wu-Era of music on the radio, i mean ppl always complaining... during the Bad Boy Era some older heads HATED the radio, they felt like you guys feel right now.

U don't like YM, Wayne, Drake, Gucci? lol... too bad for you, that shit be BUMPING on my touch & my system at home. I be playing my Drake right behind Immortal Technique. I listen to Pacewon then i listen to Gucci, i listen to Jay Electronica then i listen to Wayne then i listen to Cage AND "Chris Palko".... lol... then i put on some exclusive Cory Gunz & some Poison Pen mixed in with a lil bit of Miike Snow & a dash of M.I.A.'s new MAYA album... & then i watch some:

[youtube]G081rEJPSn4[/youtube]

and life is good.... ya'll niggaz is just in bad spaces of your life if you think Hip-Hop is EVER going to go downhill... this shit look like Disco?! NO.... ( by the way fuck the guys that killed disco.... that shit was alright )... ain't nothing wrong with a lil bit of this in your itunes

[youtube]7LUie81E82k[/youtube]

and really all you guys that hate on anything mainstream... just get over it, Envy Green is NEVER a good color on a person... Hip-Hop is ALIVE & THRIVING... if you don't wanna be a part of it cuz you don't like the direction... don't be a part of it, see the beautiful thing about Hip-Hop is that it recruits new soldiers for the cause everyday...

Viva La Evolusion!
    test
  18. jazegtnyvp

jazegtnyvp V.I.P. (BeastCoast NY)

You're BUGGING. don't ever clump badboy with those GARBAGE movements
    test
  19. teacozy

teacozy New Member

I don't think you have a handle on what mainstream actually is. Rap as something legitimately mainstream with cultural capital and the ability to push units and infiltrate/rape the pop landscape started in the 90's and reached it's nadir around 2003.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.