What year did Mainstream Hip-Hop start to go downhill?

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Temp_Guest2, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Temp_Guest2

Temp_Guest2 Dope Lyricist/Producer

Exactly as the title states.

test
  2. Get 2 Da Choppa

Get 2 Da Choppa Well-Known Member

i still listen to mainstream

99% of my ipod is mainstream music

if underground rap music was really good then it would be mainstream also but its just a bunch of potheads who make beats and think they can spit on a track

i got the entire carter 3 on my ipod and drakes new album

youtube any mainstream music vid and it has more views than any underground vid

rappers like ness lee and illmac just spit on a track...to be successful u have to create a catchy chorus which gets the fans to sing along

thats when u know u got a hit...when the fans can sing along to the song when it plays on the radio

but since underground rap doesnt go on radio...no one ca sing along

thus mainstream > > >
    test
  3. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

I'm gonna be honest. I don't like questions like this because there has always been ups and downs, and there has always been good music lingering around, even in the mainstream, and sometimes the good gets mistaken for the bad do to slight similarity.

I'd say its relative. Some people I know refuse to listen to any rap post Illmatic. Some won't listen to post 2002. I go to bars a lot, so part of me likes the new stuff more almost. I like 90's rap the best, but so far 2010 has been a lot better than the last few years imo, but some would disagree.
    test
  4. Caustic

Caustic H.ated N.ow I.n C.anada

[youtube]dKSJN3WWR3E[/youtube]

and whenever memphis bleek came out on his own
    test
  5. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

I just pretend that Memphis Bleek doesn't exist
    test
  6. Get 2 Da Choppa

Get 2 Da Choppa Well-Known Member

hate me now is dope song

its in def jam icon

i also enjoy mainstream games
    test
  7. Temp_Guest2

Temp_Guest2 Dope Lyricist/Producer

I ain't saying it's flat. I'm just saying, to me most mainstream Hip-Hop after 2003 seemed to dip fast
    test
  8. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Yeah there were some times in the 90's when I thought that. Some people consider the 80's to be the low point of all music, some think the opposite. Our kids will probably listen to the corny music that came out this decade and think its the coolest shit ever.
    test
  9. Holiday Styles

Holiday Styles Let's Go Flyers

Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  10. MistaConspiracy

MistaConspiracy magical and natural

Can't argue with 2003. IMO it's either that or 2002.
    test
  11. teacozy

teacozy New Member

when Pun died. There was still some shit out there but in terms of NY mainstream rap it died around the same time Pun did, regardless of Roc-A-Fella keeping things going for a few more years. One company can't keep something like that alive.

In terms of West Coast rap, '96. Double blow of Snoop's second, and all subsequent, albums sucking and Pac stupidly getting himself killed (yeah, not hard to "predict" your death when you're a reckless black dude from Oakland that's always getting himself into some dumb shit, eh?)

In terms of Southern rap, I'd say '09. Shit is kind of whatever and getting old at this point.
    test
  12. sTeP eAsY

sTeP eAsY 3rd Ave E

When Big L died.
    test
  13. Per$onal

Per$onal New Member

The question isn't when mainstream rap went bad...it's when rap went mainstream

Hip hop as an entire genre used to be underground...it was only in the black community, it was created as a type of freedom of expression in response to the mainstream music that was big at the time.... it needed it's own billboard because none of the songs or cds could make the overall one, and the only media attention it got was when there would be a rare story about how it was too violent...the more and more it's gotten bigger and into the "mainstream" music scene, the more it's been watered down to appeal to a larger audience, and the more rich investors have seen opportunity to make money in it.... so rich white people who know nothing about the culture and nothing about the genre have come in and just made it a marketing game.

Although it's been an evolution the entire time, you can see the big shift happening in the early 2000's. Now a days 90% of the top 100 billboard are these rap songs that are basically just a merger of rap/pop/rock genres with the familiar black faces that people are used to, but the beats and hooks that draw in a range from 13 year old girls all the way to middle aged guys who put it on espn and in sports arenas
    test
  14. teacozy

teacozy New Member

Actually, in terms of the thread, that is the question.
    test
  15. DaAce

DaAce Soloist

2002-2003 era... that boom of Ja Rule, Ludacris and Nelly

and just for a thought

95 - Eazy E
    96 - Pac
    97 - Biggie
    99 - Big L
    00 - Pun
    01 - Aaliyah
    02 - Jam Master Jay
    test
  16. Max Silver

Max Silver In the kitchen

Seriously. Who cares if its mainstream or underground as long as the music is good? Theres so much ass-flavoured underground artists its insane, stop trying to use it as a label for good music.

If your favourite underground cat blew up over night because he made a likable track that people play in the clubs like crazy he is still good ya know?
    test
  17. Per$onal

Per$onal New Member

but there's no such thing...that's why I corrected it
    test
  18. ICE'ALINO

ICE'ALINO New Member

i'd say the "start" of it first happened when russel simmons sold def jam, it was kinda like he sold hip hop in a way
    test
  19. heebs907

heebs907 GS ICEY

i was thinking about this yesterday, when i was watching that biggie movie

mainsteam was the 'underground' style that we have now
    test
  20. yeee408

yeee408 Punching bag

When the South got big
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.