What Ya Think? [Program]

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Graphx, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

Aight...I started this shit a couple weeks ago. I devised a training routine to develop speed, endurance, definition and of course strength.

Mass isn't a goal of mine right now as I'm cutting up a little bit for the summer and the pace and overall nature of this program goes hand in hand with that. Tell me what you think.

I'm not working on a rep range based system per say (such as 3 sets of 12-15 or whatever), I'm working within a time frame...which for this is 3 minutes. Here's the meat and taters (slingblade lol)

10 exercises are the focal point, they are: DB Flat Bench, DB Flat Bench Flys, Push-ups, Pull-ups, Traditional Deadlift, BB Shrugs, BB rows, DB Shoulder Presses(Standing), Delt Raises, and finally Dips.

The split is Tues., Thurs., Sat.

Tues. I'll train 5 of those exercises and on Thurs. I'll train the other 5...during those days I do as many as I can of each movement within a 3 minute time period and try to beat my previous week's numbers.

Now...on Saturday it gets hectic...I do all 10 movements, 20 reps a piece (in the order listed above), as fast as humanly possible using 50-60% of my 1RM for each one.

Also on each day I pick one movement to train extra heavy...90-95% of my 1RM done in rest pause fashion for 10 sets...or i'll go 85% done at 3 reps for 6 sets or so...and I do this before my timed sessions.

My timing progress for the 200 rep challenge done Saturday is promising. I went from 9:36...to 7:03...to 6:36.....and that shit is no joke, it's easily the hardest shit I've ever done in the gym.

I've seen great progress in both appearance and performance and now that I've fully adapted (IMO) to my new diet it seems that I haven't lost a step in anything as far as stats go and I'm a nice 184-186...so I think this program is the truth and its fun as fuck trying to beat your own time and doing with a partner is fun as shit too.

So tell me what you think about this program...and if you want to, try it, that 200 rep challenge shit is haaaaaard man...I feel like I'm gonna keel over every time I'm done.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

sounds alright, i would personally add a bunch of adjustments if it were me but hope its working out for you
    test
  3. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

What are those adjustments dawg? Thats the reason I put this on here...dont be stingy muh fucka lol
    test
  4. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

i think the routine is pretty good....you seem to understand training pretty well...But, how come there are no leg exercises...are you doing some kind of leg work outside of this? also, how come no bicep work?

that's the only problem i see with this program...maybe on one of the training days, you can do some form of squats as the heavy movement or at 85%...

i would also do some ab work outside of training...
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

cause hes doing this http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_200_rep_challenge&cr=

but decided to add in DB work.

im not a fan of a routine consisting of bodyweight exercises. also while ive never done a cut on my own it seems to be the consensus that when you cut you should take a strength training approach with heavy weight and low reps so that you actually keep whatever muscle you acquired during your bulk. if i were you id just look at simple tried and proven methods and stick to those instead of jumping on the article of the week bandwagon over at t-nation.
    test
  6. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

LOL I've never even seen that article...aint nothin even remotely similar but the name jerkoff, did u even read my shit? You just told me to stick with tried and true shit that everyone uses....while telling me not to hop on the bandwagon in the same sentence...LOL irony.

As far as leg work...I kill my legs Monday and becuz of the amount of weight, reps, and sets used I only work em once a week. I work abs Monday, Wed, Friday.

I play basketball at least 5 days a week and do slow pace cardio (stationary bike)b4 every workout for 30 minutes. After every workout except Leg Day I run for 30. minutes.

My bi's are nice ( I know they could always be better) and considering the amount of pull-ups, rows, deadlifts, and dips I do...direct arm work doesn't seem to really have a place in this routine. I will def. start doing that once I start to add onto this shit tho, I've tried throwing in movements such as BB curls and supersetting em with upright rows for a tougher challenge in the timing department but it just felt too easy.
    test
  7. Ben Official

yeah sorry i wrote that right before i passed out last night, and now i just woke up hahah so i planned on critiquing it in more detail at another point, i still do. theres some good ideas in there ill get to it later when i can
    test
  8. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

yeah, i think you are on the right track then...

it seems well planned out, and you have a goal which most people dont have when training...i would like to know what ben thinks though since i think he does circuit style training like most fighters use...and this is somewhat similar
    test
  9. LiveFromThe781

i said dont hop on the band wagon of trying every new article that gets published, stick with things that have worked for most. i dont understand how thats contradictory in the least.
    test
  10. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

^^I got you...either way, I didn't get the idea from that article. But yo, you should give body weight movements a shot. I mean, A routine consisting ONLY of BW movements is retarded, so if thats what you're saying then yeah I agree...if you're saying that you exclude them from anything you do, you should prolly switch it up and throw some in there...they can greatly improve your strength.
    test
  11. LiveFromThe781

if youre adding weights to your bodyweight exercise via dip belt then go ahead. i come from the standpoint of getting consistently bigger and stronger, not looking like a backstreet boy.
    test
  12. Ben Official

alright, those are some pretty good workouts but....

1.. are you doing the same workouts each week? i would switch them up as much as possible. dont repeat the same workout for as long as you possibly can, aside from a few.

2.. what is the routine like exactly? you do each for 3 minutes then rest and move on to the next? how long do you rest?

if it were me i would work it in a circuit... maybe 45 secs to 1 min, switch to next exercise immediately, next, next, rest for 1 minute then repeat the cycle 3-5 times

i would also not go for the 'see how much i can do in the time limit' thing. you can do that for a few exercises, but for most i would just focus on the right form, exploding then going back slow for the eccentric part of the lift, exploding, going back slow.

the only thing that i like to do for speed is certain sit up variations.

but let me know how it works
    test
  13. Ben Official

oh, and im all for body weight exercises. but when you can its always best to add resistance. a weight vest is great for working body weight exercises, along with different resistance cables if you can find them.
    test
  14. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

The workouts really are never the same because I pick a random 5 outta 10 to train on Tuesday and Thursday. Also, on those two days I do add weight using a belt for the Dips and Pull-Ups...and for Push-Ups I have my partner place a plate or two on my back. I figure doing it this way will make me more explosive and effecient for when I time myself on Saturday.

As for resting in between movements I take 1-2 minutes depending on the difficulty of the particular movement I'm involved in (weight, amount of reps, amount of muscles used...I won't rest 2 minutes for a DB Fly but after the Deadlift I will).

Oh yeah...I'm a fan of picking a random, compound movement to do every workout. This week I did the Snatch which I neeeever include in my routines...which is dumb cuz damn that shit goes hard on your traps.
    test
  15. Ben Official

so your not a fan of circuit training?
    test
  16. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

I've never really gotten into it. I've dabbled in it once or twice. My boy keeps yappin in my ear about how its the best shit he's ever done and he wants me to get in on it with him so maybe when I get sick of what I'm doin now which will prolly be in a month or two I'll check it out.
    test
  17. Ben Official

your boy is right. for what your going for, working circuits would help so much more. let me know, ill write up a circuit involving those workouts and maybe a couple more if u want, try it out and see if you like it
    test
  18. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

Damn right...that would be awesome. Hook a brotha up!
    test
  19. streets

streets New Member

yeah what ben said

and doing dead lifts for speed is not a good idea

also like bed said i would just do 1 minute of each exercise because 3 minutes is a long as time trust me. if you're going all out 1 minute is enough to burn out the muscle and then you can move to the next exercise immediately then rest after you do a 5 minute cycle of 5 different exercises at a minute each.

you could also trying doing tabata intervals with this type of circuit 20 seconds of work 10 seconds rest, 20 more seconds of the same exercise then 10 seconds rest as your moving on to the next movement
    test
  20. Ben Official

sorry i told you i'd write out a routine with those, ive been super busy but real quick here

you can do so much, just one quick example using the exercises your using is

bb shrugs - 1 minute
    push ups - 1 min
    pull ups - 45 secs
    shoulder press - 45 secs

rest 30 secs, repeat 3-5 times

rest 2 minutes

flys - 1 min
    deadlift - 1 min
    rows - 1 min
    dips - 45 secs

rest 30 secs, repeat 3-5 times...

focus on form, dont go for speed, dont go too slow either, and just dont stop and you're fine. thats good for a day, you can really use any of the ones you want... i might throw in some jump squats holding weight to your chest, or jump lunges holding weight to your chest, along with some others... if you wanna try that or i can write up a real circuit sometime if you PM me your aim screen name, i can give you some circuits that work real well for me too
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.