What Style Of Urban Music has the best drums??

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by KSoundz, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

no complaints... but not positives either... none of them are known for drum programming to me.....

and who is shawty red, KLC and Crack Tracks....? what have they produced....? Out of all the those producers Cool & Dre is the sickest... but none are overly impressive me to or impressive at all...
    test
  2. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

Honestly....did you start listening to hip hop in 2002? you dont know who KLC is? No Limit had PLENTY major hits. DJ Toomp aint known for his drum? Come on man DJ toomp got the hardest drums for that down south shit man. Hip hop is universal dogg, I hear you talkin shit about "no west coast beats exist"....homie get real
    test
  3. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

Oh KLC Is not a house hold name like that.... all i knew it was no limit... i didnt really mess with no limit like that...... And you saying KLC like he currently producing hits.... what is no limit.. like a decade ago..... 2002....

And Hip hop is universal is nice in theory... it is true ...hip hop is every where but everywhere aint producing hits.... if so... name 5 hits outside of Dr. Dre.... you only have 2 artist.... and one has been rapping since I was in elementary school(and i been to college and grad school).... and DJ troomp i like his style but he is not great to me in terms of drum programming.... and the hardest drums out of the south is relative.... just like someone saying he is the best in the NBDL.
    If the west coast exist...where are they..... not saying things cant change.... it runs in cycles... but they keep on trying that played out g-funk style that no-one wants to hear... dre "been there done that" time to progress foward... at least the south changed from crunk to snap.... And I am not trying to hate on the west b/c i actually have no problem with there music... but reality says they need to step they games up and produce some hits.... as Game showed us it can be done... and other than Dre...none of Game's hits was by westcoast producers
    test
  4. nwo504

nwo504 Rawtunez

ARe you on crack??? Mannie fresh aint known for his drum programming?

timbo and stortch beats sound more southern based than eastcoast based stortch basically jacked lil johns style and ran with it.
    test
  5. Odd Man Outt

Odd Man Outt President of the South

shawty red is a GA producer who u probably know for doin some of jeezy's beats on Thug Motivation and his mixtapes

Crack tracks is a new orleans producer....some dont like him but i was diggin his shit when he worked with lil wayne and sqad,soulja slim, BG and others

but anyway how u can not be impressed with mannie's shit
    test
  6. Money Greene

Money Greene Da Man-Da Myth-Da Legend

I usually agree with you on most shit but I neva really thought Toomps drums were that good. His melodies always stood out to me. His drums are pretty regular to me.
    test
  7. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

thank you...i think of the melodies... not his drums...
    test
  8. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

Timbo and storch really dont sound like anyone.... scott jacked his style for a like a couple beats .... Timbo and Scott like the use the a lot of arab/persian and indian influences.... no one else in the south does that..... and 80% of Timbo's hits came with east coast artist... and Scott can really do all styles.... he actually was first known (before he was known)... as the guy you go to if you did not want to pay for dr. dre... so a westcoast beat.... but he really that talented where he can do anything he wants...

I never said mannie drums are wack..... I just really hate his drum kits... so i tend to mute them out..... but he is pretty good.... but not great to me.....
    test
  9. 50 Dollar Beats

50 Dollar Beats The Incredible

Fuck that eastcoast will always be my preference...........i really REALLY hate south music.. cant stand most of it some is alright.....but most of the songs are garbage verses wit catchy hooks and beats (the recipe for a hit now a days)..........and they so simple sounding (no im not saying how they make beats is simple)........as for the drum programming not my steez and all sound the same so i dont like em............westcoast got heat in the beat department dre held it down.....quick got that shit shit.......i mean there beats is that Cali life everybody thats never been there thinks it is just coasting in a drop top banging that smooth quick type G Funk beat and hollering at the hoes half naked all year round (u lucky sons of bitches we only get 3 months of that shit haha and summers over haha gotta get the bubbles and hoodies out)...........in other words yea im feeling the west drum programming something smooth but them shit........chopped and screwed is eehh to me but them fuckers be all syruped up and on downers and shit so that must be a blast for they slow asses....i know this type of music when u all droopy must be SICK but since i only drink this sucks for me haha..........dont like the drums.......now onto EASTCOAST i just love the boom bap shit man i love the gutter of it the authentic grimy sound of a sick sample over a punchy kick drum......that snappy snare........the crisp hi hat.......the complimenting bass for the drums.....and the emcee's are just the cherry on top......but then again im talking bout the old school shit too yah mean......i mean the heatmakers got that shit i guess its authentic east for now a days but man o man the 90's PRIMO,Track Masters,Pete Rock,Alchemist,Havoc,oooooooh man to many yea im lost in the past........but the new east is coo i think they tryna branch off the south now tho i'm not really feeling that......now its mostly bouncy shit its like south is doing that come on rep what u are......and thats my theory.......so overall for me 90's Eastcoast takes the cake
    test
  10. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

I think of it in this manner, A person doesnt listen to a DJ Premier (better example age wise) and say boy that DJ premier is the shit at programming drums. But you would still regard his drums as dope because they have a certain crispness(snares especially) and texture to them that alot of folks mimic. Same way I regard toomps shit, alot of people use 808 kits, but his snares epescially have a certain snapiness that alot of folks have been hi jackin for their own shit. Drum programming wise, Toomp does standard southern style programming. So does a Dr. Dre, but you always hear folks woofin about his drums. so you gotta ask your self are we talking about drum programming or drum texture? Sound design and Drum programming are two totally different areas.
    test
  11. itdontmatter2me

itdontmatter2me New Member

-Westcoast
    -Dirty South
    -Reggae
    test
  12. Odd Man Outt

its always them niggas with them stiff ass boring sleepy music beats that hate the south and generalize us all
    test
  13. DTown

DTown The Universoultimate

Kanadian Krunk Musik
    test
  14. Money Greene

Money Greene Da Man-Da Myth-Da Legend

I agree with you totally with the textures/drum sounds and the Premo/Dre comparison. Their drum sounds are always great, but I don't think I have heard a Toomp song where I said damn, thats a hot ass snare. But I always be like, shit, thats a fire ass melody.
    test
  15. Odd Man Outt

TI's "be easy", big kuntry's "still kuntry", suga suga's do it with no hands track, DTP's 2 miles an hour

those are some of toomp's best drums to me
    test
  16. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

yep.
    test
  17. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

I can feel that, at the end of the day, "best drums" is a matter of taste and preference. As many people say they like west coast drums best, I can find an equal number of folks that hate the way they sound. Its the fundamental reason why we dont pick the same drum sounds when we make beats. Way too subjective of a matter to assume there is a right or wrong. My main issue with Medicinal's comment is that he had some ignorant comments about folks like Beats by the Pound, and the west coast in general, and Now he wants to cosign everything you say regarding DJ toomp when he knows that was NOT the meat of the argument in the first place. How accessible your music is != how dope your drums are.
    test
  18. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

Wait a sec...... I only went on a rant about the west coast b/c you tried to challenge what i said... however you still..... i mean still could not answer a question that I posed.... name 5 hits or even 5 songs with significant air play from a west coast producer outside of dre.... What I said was truth and you have not been able to disprove a single line of what I said.... Though it is agressive... it is definitely not ignorant b/c it is based on facts.... the west coast is not relative to the game.... get it over it.... maybe in the future... but currently... they are not bringing anything significant to hip hop. And I also said that no one in the south is known for the drum programming... which is still the truth....
    test
  19. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

The argument about the west coast producers not making hits besides dre...I mean to be honest the south runs everything right now!! I cant name too many EAST coast producers that have major hits besides Swizz beats? I mean what do you want me to do, name Will I AM? west coast producer with plenty of big hits this year, but what does that really prove. East or West Coast, hip hop is not define by how much shine or exposure you get, you dont live on the west so you have no idea whats going on musically here really, so to say west coast doesnt exist is ignorant based on the fact of you just not knowing. We still havent determined whether this thread is about drum programming or sound design!! Cause if its about the latter, there are plenty of folks that can be named, but if about the former, only 2-3 names really are relevant in the first place, Lame argument son.
    test
  20. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

I am not from the east coast... but at least I hear east coast songs... southern songs, midwest songs... I hear nothing from the west..... I do not have to live out there... I live in Cincinnati and I know Cincinnati is not relevant to hip hop either, although there a lot of people producing here and rapping... Cincinnati hip hop has no relevance to the hip hop as a whole... same with the whole west coast... If I have to live there to hear it.. that means it is not relative to the genre as a whole.... In the last 3 years you cant name 5 songs.... at least you have swizz and Just blaze.... 2 know producers.... all you have is dre... thats it.... I dont care how big they are locally ...

There are a lot of producers/artist that are big in there region and have no relevance to hip hop. I do not live in the south(anymore) but I know they are hell of relevant to hip hop. The east are not living up to there standard but at least you hear east coast hip hop and the midwest have some of the biggest artist sellers.... but when it comes to the west..... game, snoop and dre... starts and ends at those 3.

Snoop's hits has been with the neptunes, games with all other region's producers, and dre has only one hit with one west coast rapper Game..

Both drum programming and/or sound design in the south is avg to me, however that is a matter of opinion. However if you want a hit single... you have to go to the southern producers...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.