What program do you use to make beats and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Nick Name™, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Name™

Nick Name™ SERTIFYDE WORLDWIDE

I am looking for one myself and have tried Reason but I'm looking for something a little more user friendly, simple yet efficient and professional?

What do you use? and what do you like and dislike about the program?
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Take the time to learn Reason.. IMO it's the best out there... once you learn it you'll find it is user friendly.. very much so in fact. Nothing more efficient out there... There are programs that easier to use like fruity loops, if you just want to piece loops together to make a song, but that's not really producing in my book. You could easily use reason in the same way though..
    test
  3. QueenOfBeats

QueenOfBeats New Member

I like fl studio 9 because it's very simple to use there are a bunch of video's and tutorials on youtube that will help you out I tried reason and cubase and there a little bit more difficult to learn Fl is the way to go I know alot of top producers who use FL studio...
    test
  4. Nick Name™

Nick Name™ SERTIFYDE WORLDWIDE

thanks for the advice both of you, Im not very familiar with patching on reason but am reading a lot on it and watching a lot of tutorials, have gave fl a good look yet cant hurt and I might like it thanks!
    test
  5. Verz

Verz Dubb Duece

I agree reason is def a powerful program, do some reading and mess with the program trying out diff techniques.
    test
  6. forthemoney

forthemoney New Member

acid but i might use fl soon acid is just so user friendly no learning curve
    test
  7. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Reason is stupid easy but I wouldn't place much emphasis on what is used to program beats. Just pick a program at the end of the day its all the same shit
    test
  8. DDOT1981

DDOT1981 Member

I agree with this, reason is a very good program, I've started on reason 3 now I'm on 5. I also use Logic Pro 9 sometimes together rewired with reason. They are both user friendly imo I like the sequencing on reason a little more however , probably b/c thats what I've used the longest.
    test
  9. supdawgyo

supdawgyo New Member

Ableton Live is pretty decent, I've yet to try Reason though so can't really compare them.
    test
  10. TrackMakerz

TrackMakerz TrackMakerz

I use open labs neko and the reason for that is it has all kinds of pluggins',vst,a program called reaper,and i use pro tools m-box...
    test
  11. PMC

PMC Shadow Splitter

ableton
    test
  12. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

Just get the NI Maschine. It's essentially everything you need to make a beat fast and easy. Plug in a keyboard to it and you're solid for everything. It even hosts 3rd party VST/AU programs. So any instrument bundle works. Damn near any plug in fx works. Just so long as you use JBridge so that you can use mulicore processors. There are a few holes in it. Note repeat only goes up to 1/32T, and there's no native side chain compression. Aside from that, you're golden. If you want to create sounds and what not and keep playing with wires, use reason. Personally, I use a computer so I wouldn't HAVE to do that, so I refuse to use it even though I have it. Eventually, I may get around to it, but not right now.

Here's the thing about Maschine tho. Every time they update it, that's one less thing I need to cop. I was gonna get a high end midi player with drum pads that I could use with Cubase 5.5 and have that be my whole set up. Then someone got me Maschine, so I didn't need the pads anymore. That allowed me to get a regular keyboard (even though I came up on the M-Audio Axiom 49 anyways). Then they got more native effects plugs and instruments, making cubase less and less necessary. Then they added VSTi and VST/AU support, making cubase entirely unnecessary. On the native instruments forums, people who have large gaudy set ups are saying they're getting rid of more and more of their hardware because of what Maschine does for their workflow. I mean people are selling their MPC's, their mixing boards, their hard synths, etc. etc. and just using a Maschine, a computer and a keyboard controller with some plugs. (And real talk, I usually don't have to use the keys for anything.
    test
  13. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

I only use keys if I want to play chords, and I don't know how to do that well. Besides, I'm a beast playing keys on the 16 pad set up, because that's how I taught myself to play keys. You may have a keyboard anyway, so that's moot. The whole thing costs like 600 total, which includes a drum machine controller with the best feeling pads anywhere, eight nobs, 8 pad banks, transpose buttons, and a browser that makes it so easy to find the sounds you want and the effects you want. It also comes with 6gb of sounds to get you started, and Komplete Elements, which adds other plugs and some sounds. The best of these is Guitar Rig 4, filling a huge need in the other GUI: realistic sounding electric guitars. It also has very VERY realistic emulators of the SP 1200 and the MPC 60. Any bundles you already have as far as soft synths or plug ins for effects, you're golden. Most of them work in Maschine with few glitches. What you'd HAVE to get are (a) your own drum sounds, as the ones in maschine are geared towards techno crap, but there are a ton of free kits online. DO NOT buy the Maschine expansion packs. They suck and are over priced. And you'll need a 21 dollar plug in called JBridge so that it can maximize your multicore usage for the plugs, otherwise it will never work. (HUGE oversight by Native Instruments).

600 bucks gets you all that, and it centralizes everything in your workflow. Can't beat it. People who have it are abandoning Reason, Ableton, all that. I've never really used them, so Idunno. But it was the best bang for my dollars ever. Not to mention I only came 100 bucks outta pocket and the rest were given to me.
    test
  14. New B

New B Greatest Asian rapper?

I use Fruity Loops and Pro Tools. I tried Reason before, wasn't for me, I preferred FL. FL is easier and imo it doesn't matter which program is better if you can't fully utilize it as well so if you like FL more just use that.
    test
  15. crazymaria

crazymaria New Member

Faq Dat shyt Pro Tools 8
    test
  16. GrapeCloud

GrapeCloud New Member

logic

its awesome
    test
  17. 30 on my dick

30 on my dick i think im miley cyrus

fl studio, its got pretty sweet sound packs, good if u wanna make nice souding beats quick
    test
  18. K-Ryss

K-Ryss enlightened Jewish.

ProTools > + reason, fl studio, native instruments ( battery, absynth ) + Live sometimes
    test
  19. Jeremy Kyle

Jeremy Kyle New Member

ableton live,fl studio,reason, sony acid
    test
  20. Tech-Omega

Tech-Omega New Member

FL 9 - Love being able to import custom sounds, good vst's to use, I'm able to to build my production around various acapellas recorded to the beat (meaning I can build the beat around the lyrics once I have a decent loop and record/or get someone to record on that particular beat). It's pretty simple, but very easy to use. People say FL in general has a basic feel and you can tell FL beats (which at first you can if you produce beats by the 1/4th grids presented on there) as of late I've been using my mpd 32 to have it's own rhythm. I think Flawless uses FL 9 and he has a very live feel to his productions.

I've heard good things about reason, but I'm not sure if I have the computer space for it. One day soon I'm going to check out reason.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.