What Mixer To Buy????

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Prime, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prime

Prime Ur Spouses Are In Danger

Since I aint getting much luck from the help giving for the thread I made “Adobe Users” I figured it was my mixer that wasn’t capable of doing what I wanted it to.

My problem was, that when I record I could only hear the beat through the headphones, I wanted to be able to hear the beat and vocals as I record. After taking peoples advice and trying what they said i.e. I ran the outs of my AUDIOPHILE 2496 soundcard into the input of my EURORACK UB1002 etc. everything I tried didn’t work, so my conclusion is that its my Mixer.

So am sitting with my last £150($266) and my question now is, what mixer do I buy…. THAT ENABLES ME TO DO THIS FUNCTION????

That is the question innless anybody else has any other ideas of what the problem could be with my current set-up.

Thanks again

Prime
    test
  2. TOOBxSOCKS

TOOBxSOCKS Code of the Samurai

i got this mixer....AlesisMultiMix8 USB.....its not the BEST mixer you could get...but its not too bad niether...with the right mixing on your vocals, or whatever u may be runnin through it, its just as good...shits $150 off musicians friend...maybe even cheaper now...i had it for a while...

but, it plugs in through the USB port...and it acts as a soundcard, as well as a mixer...
    if your not workin with much loot...then its a good idea to cop it....it also has a built-in effects processor...

heres a picture of it:
    http://www.alesis.com/photos.php?id=37

and heres how u hook it up to be able to hear everything:
    1. Turn down the LEVEL, MAIN MIX, and HDPH/CTRL RM knobs.

2. Make sure that the 2 TK TO CTRL ROOM button is DOWN and the 2 TK TO MIX
    button is UP, otherwise you’ll hear feedback when you turn up the MAIN MIX
    knob later.

3. Connect the 2 TRACK OUT of the mixer to the 2 TRACK IN with a stereo RCA
    cable.

4. Set each channel’s GAIN and LEVEL knobs so that you’re getting good level
    without lighting the PEAK indicator on the mixer.

The MAIN MIX knob now acts like a mastervolume knob for all your mic/line
    inputs. Adjust this knob until you’re getting good levels into your DAW.

The HDPH/CTRL RM knob now controls the loudness of your headphones (or
    studio monitors), but does not affect recording levels. You can set this
    level to a comfortable setting (or even off) without affecting what gets recorded.

The sound driver you should be selecting in your software is “USB Audio CODEC”
    test
  3. TOOBxSOCKS

shit my bad yo....i forgot i responded to that post u made...lol.....

but yo...somebody told u that adobe doesent have a monitoring function in that post...thats bullshit...cuz i use adobe, and i can monitor my shit....
    but it IS possible, that with your mixer, you cant monitor in adobe...

if u want, cop the mixer i posted about above....but first, research your stuff a little more so u dont waste ya money...if nobody here can help you, then ask opey on rb....
    hes the one who told me how to get mine to work correctly...
    test
  4. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

hmm...wanna bet? Fucking questioning me...[teet]

...but really:
    There is no function within Audition to monitor. You have to do it via your soundcard or some other hardware (ie. mixer). You tell me this...where in adobe audition can you control monitoring? If it has some function for monitoring, you should be able to mute, pan, control volume of live sound (...whatever you're speaking into the mic). Tell me how. I'm not talking about playback....we're talking LIVE sound.

...but since you obviously don't believe me....how about a link?
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@363.YDQBf2OHgRJ.4@.2cccbf8d

Doesn't mention it directly...but it states you can't monitor effects....hmmm....
    test
  5. TOOBxSOCKS

"Fucking questioning me..."

yo go fuck yaself man...seriously...i aint here for a fuckin knowledge competition....this shit aint jeopardy...
    hes tryin to be able to monitor while using Adobe...regardless of whether adobe itself, has functions for monitoring, it can still be monitored...if it has to be done using your mixer, or some type of hardware as you said, its STILL being monitored...so whats it matter whether adobe has functions for it or not??

only reason im in this thread, is to try to help the man out...hes not going to be recording into a lil radio shack mixer....hes going to be recording into a mixer with monitoring capabilities...so therefore, its possible to monitor shit, while using Adobe....u just have to have the right equipment...

so take your "im here to prove people wrong" egotistical self praise bullshit, and speak it to somebody who actually cares...

LOL@"Fucking questioning me..." people like u crack me up...seriously...just because u have knowledge of things...doesent mean u gotta be an asshole...theres ways around adobe not having a monitoring function...but u dont mention that to him in your first post....u just try to give your "help" whichever way you see fit..
    test
  6. doctah

1. It was a joke....it was supposed to crack you up....did you see the [teet] Calm down....I am an egotistical asshole...no doubt....but no self praise here...well....not usually...maybe a little....sometimes.

The only reason I bothered replying is because I'd just hate for him to be running around in Adobe Audition trying to turn on monitoring because you said my post was bullshit. If I were trying to do some ego trip, beef shit...I would have sent you a PM.

2. The original question was "does adobe has monitoring capabilities". I answered the question. I also stated, "you have to do it via hardware".

...but let me go ahead and switch over to "I'm here to prove a point" mode:
    from the original thread
    my reply

The reason it matters is because you have to choose your tools based on what you're working with and monitoring via hardwave vs software is different. With software there is always going to be some latency going on...but you can monitor w/ the actual effects you're using (plugins). No latency w/ hardwares, but you can't monitor your effects either...unless you have out board effects or some emu patchmix shit going on. He had yet to mention what soundcard he had. Even if Adobe had some function for monitoring, he wouldn't be able to use it if he had a shitty soundcard.

...again....sorry if you misinterpretted my attempt at humor...I thought it was funny as hell

...back to the actual topic.

Dude's mixer is fine for what he's doing. You just gotta read your manual to figure out what features it has. Maybe you have a tape input that can be sent to a different out put (that's what toob was talking about). maybe you'll have to do something creative w/ Aux send and receive. I would personally try to open the delta control panel as I'm sure you should be able to jack up the input playback volume.
    test
  7. Prime

First thing I would like to say to both you guys is THANKS! I really appreciate the help.

Toob

Thanks for posting the link for your mixer, telling me everything I would need to do if I bought it etc.

As for Doctah

I thank your for your “Hilarious” reply lol. Na really I appreciate your help as well with telling me that there was no such function and how I could go about trying to solve my problem. Btw My soundcard is an AUDIOPHILE 2496.

But seriously I have honestly tried like ever possible thing I could think of to get this to work, and also tried everything you dudes have told me……….. But it still aint fucking working, What I will try again though is all my soundcard settings etc.

Basically am a tell you this, just to give you a better idea of what I’m working with. The set-up I’m a describe is the way I get JUST THE BEAT through the headphones.

EURORACK UB1002 Mixer, from the OUTS of that with an RCA cable goes to my AUDIOPHILE 2496 Soundcard. From My soundcard(which has 4 ports) I have another RCA cable that goes to my AMP.
    My Shure KSM32 Condenser Mic, that is connected to my mixer through obviously the Mic Line. From my AMP I plug in my headphones( If I plug my headphones into my mixer it makes no difference) and go into the booth to record.

That is how I JUST GET THE BEAT through my headphones.

Any further Help would once again be appreciated……….. If this continues I might have around £200($353) to spend on a new mixer…. ( I will defo consider Toob’s) but is there anything better I could get for my money. Would rather help for this problem was found though, so I could save ma cash lol..

Thanks again people.
    test
  8. TOOBxSOCKS

aight...my bad then...
    thought u were just runnin round tryin to be a prick....it wasnt funny to me when i read it....but now that u said it was sposed to be funny...it actually is kinda funny..
    test
  9. TOOBxSOCKS

aye no problem man....people helped me out with everything and anything i know about equipment and audio....just circulatin the love....

but yo..if u got $350 dollars...u should'nt buy the mixer i told u bout....cuz u can get something nicer for that much...my mixer is just a cheap way out....hahaha
    test
  10. doctah

Ok....lets start over.
    What amp? Do us a favor - take it out of the path while we work with just the mixer and soundcard. Add it back later.

Notice the word "the" I kinda pointed out ^up^ there? Stop doing that. Your mixer has at least 4 or 5 inputs. Details...details....

Pictures are good...big ass detailed pictures
    [​IMG]

If I'm not mistaken - toob was telling you to connect your soundcard output to "tape in". Press the little "tape to ctrl" button - and connect your "main out" back to your computer. That would let you listen to the beat from either the "phones" or "ctrl room" outputs - but not the main outputs. You should be able to plug your headphones in the mixer - turn up the volume on the mixer and call it a day. So confirm you've done that...

I was saying you could also do some ghetto shit w/ the FX send. That port is an output...mono. Plug that into your soundcards input - and you should be able to use it kinda like a direct output....but toob's instructions make more sense to use AND you should be able to do it.

So confirm you've done this all....better yet - plug your mic in the mixer - plug some headphones in the mixer - in otherwords - take the computer out of the equation. Confirm you hear the mic. If not - yoou might have just found out why so many people hate on behringer (ie. your shit is brok'ded [teet])

...and if you're gonna spend money - buy a preamp - no point in adding in the confusion w/ another mixer.

Hopefully that should get you going in the right direction.

Just out of curiosity...am I the only one who thinks it sucks there are no aux/fx return inputs and knobs on that mixer?
    test
  11. Prime

If I'm not mistaken - toob was telling you to connect your soundcard output to "tape in". Press the little "tape to ctrl" button - and connect your "main out" back to your computer. That would let you listen to the beat from either the "phones" or "ctrl room" outputs - but not the main outputs. You should be able to plug your headphones in the mixer - turn up the volume on the mixer and call it a day. So confirm you've done that...

Ive done that........ But still the problem is I can only hear the beat..... not my vocals as i record them AND the beat!
    test
  12. doctah

....better yet - plug your mic in the mixer - plug some headphones in the mixer - in otherwords - take the computer out of the equation. Confirm you hear the mic. If not - yoou might have just found out why so many people hate on behringer (ie. your shit is brok'ded )
    test
  13. Fame-S

Fame-S New Member

my homie has the same mixer and i can hear vocals fine out of the headphones. i never messed with his shit so i dunno exactly how its set up. im guessing:

mic->mic input 1->main L and R outs to the L and R ins of the soundcard-> L and R outs of the soundcard to line in 5/6 L and R.

not sure where you'd hook up ur monitors tho lookni at the picture. ive never worked wit mixers b4. unless ur shits broken i know theres a way to hear ur vocals in the phones using that mixer. i'll look at his shit next time im at his place.
    test
  14. CookieznCream20

CookieznCream20 New Member

I use a EuroRack ub802 and it works fine for me
    test
  15. Prime

Right you aint gonna believe this shit, infact you might....

So after a WEEK of fuckin with this thing and tryin every possible fuckin solution, a finally had enough, I bring it back to the shop expecting to get told they cant take it back epically off this one fat hairy dude who works there (who I really believe, makes it his job to lose customers) but na, I get a nice young bitch who is more than happy to swap it over for me.

So I get home hook shit up and……. IT WORKS!!!……

Thus proving Doctah’s quote!
    test
  16. Fame-S

Fame-S New Member

good shit. i knew u didnt need a new mixer....well actually u did. haha.
    test
  17. lavidjio

lavidjio New Member

lavidjio

lavidjio
    test
  18. Coonsmumssark

Coonsmumssark New Member

test
  19. Seageable

Seageable New Member

test