What Makes A Rapper "Lyrical"?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Crates, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V-Max

V-Max ROUND ONE: FIGHT!!!

Q: With the output of acts such as Ludacrus, Ja Rule and Nelly somehow wielding a stupefying level of credibility within the hiphop media, would you say that your Enemy has won a definitive victory against decent hiphop?

I think good hip hop is spreading worldwide through people on a lower level of funds, and all it will take is one or two really talented people who are true to this culture to rise up and get the funding to put dope hip hop back in the limelight - Then the victory will be ours.

Q: Related to major-label signing, what do you think about KRS-ONE's call for a rapper's minimum wage? Do you think it's workable?

I don't think most rappers on major labels care enough to try to work with KRS to make that happen. I also don't think people take KRS one seriously enough to take the rapper's minimum wage seriously. If an emcee is talented enough, and he wants to make a fair wage, he should educate himself on selling his music and merchandise independently.

Q: What is the new Napster and how often do you use it?

Audiogalaxy was far superior to Napster, but the RIAA just shut that down too. Now I get my music from individuals, and if the artist is talented, and the album is done well, I buy it like I've always done.

Q: On a more personal note, why should people buy the reissue of B.E.N.E.F.I.T when you allowed them to get the original for free via Napster? And Napster aside, for those who do not already own the album, what are they letting themselves in for?

A lot of people bought the album when Napster was still around, but they got a poor quality CDR version, with a black and white laser printed cover. If they purchase the special edition version, they will get the old album, only professionally manufactured with a full colour cover and backing, and 3 additional previously unreleased tracks, autographed.

Q: Speaking of free information exchange, do you think there is anything people (Both in America and abroad) can do against RIAA and California Congressman Howard Berman getting legislation through allowing them to wipe entire websites without any warning, explanation or justification?

The best thing I can say is, people interested in this issue need to check out http://www.boycott-riaa.com.

Q: Has there ever been a time in your life which brought you close to the mindset you portray during Fairwell? How did you dig yourself out of that depression?

My life has had a lot of ups and downs… music is my salvation.

Q: So when you're feeling blue, what record do you put on?

Tupac - Me against the world

Q: What's this I hear about you and…indelible ink? Why haven't you sought a major-label signing yet?

The label is currently called Indelibility. I own it and run it. If you're a hungry artist go to www.indelibility.com and you can get dope beats at a reasonable price, as well as Benefit shirts, and CDs. As far as getting signed? I never did anything with my old album at all. I didn't promote, I didn't shop it to any labels, I did nothing. The next time around I will do it right. But most likely I won't take a major label offer unless the conditions are prime.

Q: What's going on with the new album?

This new album is more serious than the first one. There really isn't a central theme, but its a raw lyrical hip hop record. My beats are more developed, my lyrics have advanced, the whole thing is something completely new. I'm really happy with how its turning out. I have some really introspective songs, and I try to focus on imagery, language, and complex rhyme patterns, without getting pretentiously abstract. I've got some raw battle style lyrics on there that are really intricately interwoven. It will be an album that you can listen to at face value because the beats and sounds are fresh - but when you dig deeper into the meaning of the lyrics, and the structure of the writing, you'll be able to appreciate it on a deeper level. I touch on a wide range of subjects though: from the culture, to dealing with death, to celebrating life.

Q: You say that your new album will be "darker" than your debut - the darkest aspect of B.E.N.E.F.I.T. was the tracks about organised religion and the state so imma ask you the same question I asked Gruf the Druid; Do you believe in "The man" as a specific individual/body with a deliberate masterplan OR are all the bad things in the world down more to a long series of bad luck and a lot of coincidences?

I don't really believe in either of those extreme cases. I think that if you look at the facts objectively, you see that America is a long tradition of rich people hooking their friends up, and its like that now with our "leadership." The only problem is that this type of activity leads to political corruption, oppression of the poor, and destruction of our environment. Now that the whole world is steadily becoming one big capitalistic democracy, those things will spread as well.

Q: There's some stuff on your website about Christian broadcasters and the Illuminati - but are there any international institutions who you think do a good job?

The only reason I wrote about the Illuminati is because it's mentioned a lot in hiphop, and I know kids are curious about that. I wrote about the greedy fraudulent televangelists because I see then on TV everyday committing crimes against humanity and it's become a tragic comedy. There are hundreds of honourable international institutions who do a great job.

Q: Will there be any guests on the new album? Will you be working with Blitz in the near future?

There are some guest appearances in the works, and I'll always work with Blitz, he's like my brother.

Q: Finally, is there anyone you'd like to biggup on this worldwide basis?

Yeah, Big up to Chuck D, Blitz, XP, Omen, and ILL Mitch. And if you need DOPE BEATS go to www.indelibility.com And peace to all the people in the UK representing real culture. Perpetuate Hip Hop.

Many thanks to Benefit for doing the interview.
    test
  2. skitzo8816

skitzo8816 New Member

smoke that good shit
    test
  3. skitzo8816

skitzo8816 New Member

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.