What is the highest level/Class Mic That Matches with My Mbox Pro 2 Preamps?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Les W, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Les W

Les W Was Helped By Point Game

I have no clue about the preamps wanna get some more quality current mic has paper thin sweet spot etc
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Finding a "match" goes beyond what mics may typically be known to work well with a given preamp.. The voice in this case matters every bit as much as the amp and the mic.. If you have a myspace link I'll listen when I get home and try and make some suggestions.. but really I need more info to be helpful.. So..

1. What is your current mic, and what would you say is missing?
    2. What is your budget?
    3. Will this mic be primarily for you, or will you record others very often?

Another thing is that there is a good chance you won't find improvement by just getting a new mic.. you might.. but there is a strong chance that your sound won't improve using the stock preamps on the mbox.. Something else you'll want to consider is a better preamp.. you can get a world class mic and it may not help a bit until you step up your preamp, and also the converters on your interface have a great deal to do with your quality. The mbox isn't bad really, but I think more than likely what you'll really end up needing is a better preamp.. but tell me more, and I'll make some suggestions after you answer the questions above. Pz.
    test
  3. Les W

Thanks
    I haven't uploaded any tracks yet, I hate the quality, but my voice is kinda like kool g rap and can get sloshy like Big's - not that I am that nice

1. I have a Groove Tubes FET mic which is a rare out of stock mic and non-tube but electric, I think it is ok, just wish the response was better when I get loud makes me flow from the back of the throat instead of being able to yell into the mic. I would keep it though, because it handles radio-style talking well.

2. This is the thing, I am going to try to do an album and planned on going to the stu to lay the tracks down on the good equipment, but I don't know if I am better off just saving that money and dropping a few thou on better equipment. Like $5k can get me a neuman and an avalon which would be more than enough for a professional sounding mixtape imo

3. Just for me, no one else, except rare instances

I somewhat understand the chain of quality so don't be bashful about giving me sophisticated links with long articles or using 'big words'. I just have no idea if this MBox Pro 2 is the weak link or if it is the mic, like a neuman vs an avalon I would cop the avalon all day but if the MBox amps are good enough to save a couple thou buying the Rode NTK or 1000 I'd rather do that

thanks again hit me up when you read this
    test
  4. Mr. ROUSH

Right on.. ok.. couple of facts.. #1 a u87 paired with the avalon is an excellent match and would always be a solid investment.. eventually.. you will want that kind of quality gear from the source.. in your situation.. it would be a drastic improvement.. as long as the u87 is a good match for your voice. Judging loosley from your description.. I think your voice should be alirght.. I own a u87 and I run it through an ISA220 getting great results...

BUT.. and this is a big BUT like beyonce for real.. which brings me to another fact

#2 Youre quality would still be restricted at your mbox due to the quality of the converters.. they aren't awful.. but they're far from great.. so it would be an improvement.. but you still wouldn't be tapping in to the full capability of the u87/avalon combo.. again it would still be a worthy investment.. but then you would still be in the market for a better interface eventually.. another issue with having the u87/avalon or any high end well matched pair.. is that your room or booth had better be dead.. no natural reverb or room reflections whatsoever.. otherwise a great mic will sound awful..

If I were you, I would look at the Rosetta interface from apogee.. if you decide you might do that then let me know and I'll get you better prepared.. but My advice to you would be to start with the interface.. I would upgrade there first.. then you'll find you get more out of what you already have.. but then upgrading the mic and getting a great pre eventually.. your sound will fall into place in a big way and in a more useful order.. a lot of good interfaces out there.. so dig in and see what fits your plans..

A couple of suggestions in the meantime.. #1.. A great condenser isn't always the right mic for the job.. If I were recording a heavy metal band.. or if I were recording a rapper who needed to yell a verse... the first thing I would do is put the u87 away.. and get out a good dynamic mic.. my personal favorite for rap being the Shure Sm7b ($300).. but there are A LOT of good dynamic mics for good prices that would be very effective for exactly what you're talking about.. Even an sm57 would usually be good for vocals in that situation.. so try a dynamic if you get the chance..

#2.. Track lower.. this is more obvious and you may already be doing that.. there also comes a point where you loose sonic character if you track too low on a condenser, but don't be afraid to track down around -12 going in.. so watch your meter.. yell the verse.. and adjust the amp gain down until your meter is peaking at no higher than -6db and at least -12 - -18db.. this allows for your vocals.. however loud.. to be better served by your plugins and less intrusive in the frequency spectrum.. therefore mixing better..

Mic placement.. try to angle your GT down and away from you with the mic upside down.. so in essence the sound is hitting it at an angle more toward your chest and throat.. this will cut out some of the nasaly high end that will get harsh the louder it is.. won't be drastic, but would help some.. oeralll a dynamic would probably better solve your specific problem.. if you have more questions or need any clarification, just let me know or shoot me an email.. roushy1@gmail.com
    test
  5. Les W

word I am gonna try this!!

this is about $5k-6k of gear right?

you the man forever for all your advice and help

propers
    test
  6. Mr. ROUSH

No problem pimp.. anytime..

u87 - $3500
    Avalon737 - $2250

If you went with the above then you're in the ballpark not including any extras such as cables / metal mesh pop filter (preferred) You'll be pusing 6k

The rosetta is $1795.97 for the 2 channel.. (I would score this instead if I were you) That would leave you $4000 that you could use on another mic preamp combo.. there are a lot of options out there, so put some thought into it, or you could save on the $4000 until you get enough built up to go with the u87/avalon.. The rosetta will put you in good shape to eventually go ProTools HD as well.. The converters are premium. So if I were in your shoes that's what I would do.

Best of luck!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.