What do you think of Jay-z's new album?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Jul 4, 2013.

?

How good is the new jay album?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2014.
  1. 5/5 excellent

11.8%
  2. 4/5 good album

41.2%
  3. 3/5 okay

23.5%
  4. 2/5 not so good

11.8%
  5. 1/5 terrible

11.8%
  1. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Cool story

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  2. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

this the kind of shit that makes me wanna get all pretentious and shit
    test
  3. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

It kills me Beach is Better is not a whole song

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  4. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

I just peeped that song for 15 seconds.....that was a dope ass beat/flow/ etc....I have now listened to 1/3 of a partial song......I will get back with more when the next harry potter movie comes out
    test
  5. Superman70

Superman70 edited

test
  6. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

I still haven't listened, and I hate random links, but i'm curious as to what metacritic is....is it a website to critique shit?......if yes I can continue my train of thought, if no I will go bump my yayo cassette tape...
    test
  7. Superman70

Superman70 edited

yeah it gives you the overall average of different critics and users.
    useful for movies, music, games, etc. if you like reading reviews.

i like it, and rarely find a great difference between how i feel about something and how the majority feels.

for example the majority of people here seem to hate yeezus, but i like it, and it has a good score on metacritic that i agree with.

most of those reviewers are likely to have already been kanye fans, but i could say the same for the jay-z album. i think if it sucks, most people are going to admit that iit sucks, even if they're a fan of that artist.

i dont think there's that many stans in the world as people think.
    test
  8. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

It could be representative of a lot of things. Hype leading to disappointment, self-righteous critics in today's internet world trying to get clicks for incendiary and inflammatory views, and it's his first album to be released essentially into the internet in this kind of love-to-hate world, baby fresh without any retroactive "this is classic" sentiment attached to the other albums that pre-date Metacritic's increased mindshare and saturation on generation Y's public conscious as a bible. Plus a lot of retards probably bought phones just to hear it, and put a dollar valuation on the album at the price of the phone.

Reasonable Doubt isn't even rated. There's only 3 hip-hop albums that rate above 90 "all-time":

"Stankonia"
    "Good Kid MADD City"
    "Sir Lucious Left Foot"

That's how omniscient metacritic isn't.

The poor-professional review world, the blog/vlogosphere is a lot of self-entitled poison and venom in a flame war trying to be entertainment. I'm not saying it's good. I expect the album to be lazy and modern when I finally bother to listen to it... but you have to take critical review with a grain of salt, and keep deciding for yourself like you did before the number.
    test
  9. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

It's an aggregation site of media reviews for music, movies, and games. The number pool ranges from professional journalism sites like XXL, to tabloids like Worldstar, to whatever the NY Times and USA Today think... to bloggers with massive followings and an industry presence.

Registered and recognized reviewers and review sites become part of the numbers system if registered and accepted. Metacritic assigns a weighting value to the most prominent review sources. Readership dictates weighting, because it's perceived as representative of a larger consensus, and readership is dictated by scope of operation - ie: ad revenue, clicks, views, number of employees, video content, connections, bandwidth, office space etc etc

So it's Rating x Weight = #

The limited selection of #'s that have contributed and been pooled are added together and divided by the total number of contributors. You get an average median #. It fluctuates over time as reviews are added, but rarely by much, unless the first day or so was absolute hate by 1 or 2 people who were the first reviews... and then are later outweighed by more rational, positive reviews. Massively negative reviews can forever prevent any given media from reaching up into the 80's and 90's though, no matter how many positive reviews a thing receives.

ex: say you publish something and your first review is 1 star, your second review is 5 stars. Your average will be 3 stars. You can have ten 5 stars and three 1 stars, and be stuck at 4 stars, because 53 divided by 13 = 4.
    test
  10. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

test
  11. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

gotcha bro, I never paid any attention to it before......

I peeped this album and I thought it would be worse than it was from just reading here......only peeped once or twice but there are some blah blah and really dope joints imo.......
    test
  12. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

I listened to this album finally. People are trippin'. I dig it.
    test
  13. Youngb352

Youngb352 Member

I yet had a chance to peep it out yet. Iv heard goods and bads tho.
    test
  14. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

I haven't met one person offline who doesn't like this shit. Niggas bumpin this in the whip heavy.

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  15. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

i've been playing this heavy the last few days and it's growing on me more and more each day.

still ain't no Pac but shit is dope.
    test
  16. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Pac? Smh let it go Twamp

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  17. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Not a huge Jay fan.....but the album is legit. 4/5.
    test
  18. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

haha, i intentionally said that to get a rise outta you n/h

but yeah, it's still true. :funny:
    test
  19. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

No rise. Pac sittin comfy in the later 40s of my top 50. :cool:

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  20. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

Still not feeling it, back upto 2/5 though due to some of the beats. I get the urge to skip most of the tracks the second the rapping comes in. Does jay spit nice on any of the tracks? i cant make it through this album again.

If this is 4/5 then theres atleast 10 bonafided classics that have been released this year.
    test