What Do U Need To Start A Lil Studio

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by LeNgEnD, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeNgEnD

LeNgEnD New Member

Wut Equipment Do U Need To Start A Lil Studio Within Reasonable Prices...like To Record,mix The Beats,put It On A Cd ..is There Nethin That Does That All In One ....help Me Out!

Peace
    test
  2. rez0nate

rez0nate New Member

You need a computer, soundcards, condenser mics, preamps, stands, headphones, moniters, a recording program, mixing programs, you need alot of shit...

be ready to spend at least a good 600+ $ for a nice little studio, i spent 180$ just for a mic and preamp, so yeah, hope you got some cash my friend
    test
  3. WDPS Recordz

WDPS Recordz t(* *t)

The following is a rough outline of the things you need to think about when recording and mixing a project. The explanations are short as they are only meant to jog your memory.

Setup:How many people (musicians) will be in the recording room and how will they be arranged What Instruments will they be playing and what special requirements need to be met How big is the room (or rooms). If sharing an isolation room, consider grouping of instruments for least adverse leakage. Isolation between instruments should be considered. Is some of what is being recorded going to be replaced (stand in vocalist, not the real solo, etc.) Determine how best to isolate the instruments (baffles, Tube Traps, blankets, foam, plywood).
    Cables:You can never have too many cables or adapters. All cables must have previously been ascertained to be in proper working order. Cables that have been previously suspect and checked to find nothing wrong should be labeled as such until they have successfully worked in a session. (this is in case of a cable problem, the first cable to check would be a previously faulty cable.) Anticipate problems as much as possible.
    Microphones:Choice of microphones. What mics are available for the session? What mics are specifically requested by the client? Are there notes from previous sessions with the same musicians that pointed out a unique requirement or a mic that worked rather well in a particular situation. Impedance must be matched. (Lo, Hi, Inline Xformer) Thin sounding microphones (reduced low frequency response) usually means that the impedance is not matched properly. Connections must be matched. (XLR, 1/4", DIN, Teuschel). Polarity must be matched (Pin 2 hot - Pin 3 hot?) Phantom requirements must be ascertained. If mics are split to multiple consoles, such as live performances, only one console should provide phantom power. Make sure that mic splitter will pass phantom (some will not). If console does not provide the proper phantom voltage, use external pass through phantom power modules. If the microphone has it's own power supply, make sure that phantom is turned off to that mic, otherwise distortion and noise may result. (Guaranteed in some instances) Can't have phantom on with unbalanced microphone. Try direct box for synths and electric instruments. Try different direct boxes (they are like microphones and have a coloration of their own). Active (phantom powered) direct boxes may not have ground isolation capabilities and may cause ground loops (which result in a buzz or hum). Some consoles will let you pluginstruments in directly. (check for impedance matching.) Pickups on acoustic instrument can be added in with the microphone sound. Mic patterns must be chosen properly for the job. Understand proximity effect in microphones. Microphone placement may not be the same each time you record in a similar situation. It may depend on the individual player or instrument. Listen for reflections off of music stands (use foam or towel) when recording vocals. Listen for extraneous noises from squeeky chairs or rattling instruments.
    Speakers and monitoring:What do they sound like. Have you heard these speakers before in a different environment? Does the control room color the sound of the speakers so that you must compensate for that difference? Placement of speakers in control room may effect the way they sound (experiment with different placements) Try not to use speakers (instead of headphones) for monitoring in the studio during recording. The leakage will hamper an otherwise good recording. If this must be done, there are methods whereby two speakers are fed a MONO signal and placed out of phase. The microphone is then placed in the phase null between the speakers. Extreme caution should be taken when employing this method. Use distribution system for multiple headphones, don't just parallel a bunch of headphones from the console or cassette machine headphone outputs. "More Me" headphone distribution systems for individual mixes to each musician can help the recording process immensly.
    Console:Trim vs. volume control. Don't clip the input. In some situations it may be desirable to set all faders to "zero" and establish the initial recording level with the input trims. This provides an instant graphical representation if microphone levels change drastically during the recording (the fader is pulled down or up from it's reference) Check the sound through the console, select the correctrouting path, with inserts disabled. With no EQ, listen. Does it sound good, is it muffled, scratchy, far away,or boomy? Is the mic facing the wrong way, (this happens often) or are you listening to wrong input. Impedance mismatch between the console input and the source. (line, mic, instrument) Bad cord, connection, patch bay, patched in wrong hole, patchbay normal not broken- mic going too many places at once Balance vs. unbalanced - pin2 vs. pin 3 (unbal pin 3 at one end + unbal pin 2 = SHORT) Bad instrument - change try another Bad playing technique or position - try something else, face Mecca. Move the mic a little - start with close micing, then move the mic away Acoustic guitars, pianos, Bass, Standup bass, Drums Go in the room and listen to the instrument with a finger in one ear. Ask the player - chances are he has recorded this instrument before and has some idea as a starting place. If he says "This is what I do all the time and it always sounded good before" then there is probably something else wrong.
    test
  4. LeNgEnD

LeNgEnD New Member

i dont wanna spend fxckin 600 bucks on this shyt..im talkin a simple way to record n shyt
    test
  5. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

^ get a kareoke machine, and put some instrumentals on a tape
    test
  6. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

a condensor mic,stand,pop filter,and something that will work your mic with phantom power...
    test
  7. Logik Words

Logik Words New Member

if u dont wanna spend alot.. and want it simple.. maybe a dynamic mic, mic stand, and headphones??

lol thas the simplest i can think of
    test
  8. Verbuse!

Verbuse! DDL'z Finest Miztah G

just get a cheap ass mic and a pre amp.. or jus go to a studio.. cuz 600 ain't really gon get you that much of good quality.
    test
  9. DJX

DJX iTs GraVy BaBy

yes it will.....

im workin with $400 worth....

$200 soundcard
    $100 condensot
    $100 mixing board (with phantom power)

and i get pretty dope quality
    test
  10. WDPS Recordz

WDPS Recordz t(* *t)

thats great but all that shits just some stuff to think about........u obviously didnt read......im not ur fuckin mom ...im not here to run errands and go shopping for u.
    test
  11. PG-13

PG-13 Kiss My Ass

SHit man u asked About getting a STUDIO.. thats the WHOLE SETUP. u want something Simple get a Dynamic Mic a Cable and Cool edit
    test
  12. WDPS Recordz

WDPS Recordz t(* *t)

^^ simple as it gets right there
    test
  13. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

ummmmmmmmm a 'nice little studio' for 600 is gonna be incomplete or TOTAL SHIT. you'll need to drop several thousand dollars for a studio setup.
    test
  14. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

and i bet they're both incredibly shitty
    test
  15. PG-13

PG-13 Kiss My Ass

then again if you smart Person you can Ebay your Studio i have done that no Problem with doing that just make sure the Seller is legit get a Goodd Relationship going call them before u place Record the Convo about them saying they shit is GOod Condition this way if you get fucked take them to court.. If you lucky u can get a Good Start for alittle cheaper
    test
  16. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

test
  17. Joey Bonez

Joey Bonez Text Album dropping soon

you dont wanna spend 600 bucks lol? A computer by itself runs an easy 600...

The easiest way is just have a fucking computer, mic, and DL programs off kazaa for free...that's the cheapest way...

And if you wanna have some sort of studio type setup then you most def gonna spend more than 600 bucks...
    test
  18. ~Dystinkt~

~Dystinkt~ New Member

just use a fucking computer mic and walkman headphones cuz I see you're not a bit serious
    test
  19. MC4SiGHT

MC4SiGHT JOE COMMiSSO

^^^pretty much

i just started out my home studio

i've already spent nearly $1500 and i'm not halfway done.....

It takes some time and money to get a nice studio going....that gives good quality...
    test
  20. YuNg JuNe

YuNg JuNe New Member

no-ones gonna pay for a dynamic mic and cool edit...

maybe ur boys... but that's about it...

plain and simple...

atleast spend about 800 ²²²²²...

save ya christmas money foo!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.