What brought you to your religion?

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by M-theory, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Were you raised in it?

Did you have an experience?

Did you read your way into it (i.e. the Bible, Quran, etc.) and it satisfied you?

WHY are you who you are? Further, why do you accept your religion as true?

Or DO you accept your religion as true?
    test
  2. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

I was reading the book of Deuteronomy last night, and I came upon the following passage:

Deuteronomy 4:32-40
    (32) "Has anything this great ever happened before? Never! Look at the past. Think about everything that happened before you were born. Go all the way back to the time when God made people on the earth. Look at everything that has happened anywhere in the world. Has anyone ever heard about anything as great as this? No!
    (33) You people heard God speaking to you from a fire, and you are still alive. Has that ever happened to anyone else? No!
    (34) Has any other god ever tried to go and take a people for himself from inside another nation? No! But you yourselves have seen everything that the LORD your God did for you. He showed you his power and strength. You saw the troubles that tested the people. You saw miracles and wonders. You saw war and the terrible things that happened.
    (35) The LORD showed you all this so that you would know that he is God. There is no other god like him.
    (36) He let you hear his voice from heaven so that he could teach you a lesson. On earth he let you see his great fire, and he spoke to you from it.
    (37) "He loved your ancestors. That is why he chose you, their descendants. And that is why he brought you out of Egypt. He was with you and brought you out with his great power.
    (38) When you moved forward, he forced out nations that were greater and more powerful than you. And he led you into their land. He gave you their land to live in, as he is still doing today.
    (39) "So today you must remember and accept that the LORD is God. He is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other god!
    (40) And you must obey his laws and commands that I give you today. Then everything will go well with you and your children who live after you. And you will live a long time in the land the LORD your God is giving you--it will be yours forever."

It didn't take long before I started to recall a memory from my past that had appeared only so vaguely to me for so many years. I now remember that when I was in the process of being 'saved' I was engaged with this passage. My memory of the event has become more vivid, instead of being a simply forgotten Humpty Dumpty story that I could never put back together again, it has reminded me of things. I had always remembered a bit about what happened, what had led me to be there at that moment, but now it like a dream state coming alive inside my head which I can go back in time in an almost real life scenario and experience the past from other angles. Reminds me of the Butterfly Effect kind of.

Anyway, just thought this would be interesting to share. Probably boring to you guys though since I'm off in my own little world I guess.
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

I have a odd number of jews in my family but none of them really practiced it was more like a title to them an that bothered me. So after living life u get to a point that u know there is more to life itself. After some life changing experiences and a vigilant search for what that "more" was i foynd christianity gave me the most truth, answers, and not to mention its a very exciting religon. (thats the short version)
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  4. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

good question, i was born into a muslim household with pretty strict guidelines.

i did however answer this question inadvertently, in another thread.

although i was born into an islamic household and had a strict upbringing, i did steer away from the path to find out the other paths.

brought me back ...

[turn] ...
    test
  5. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i mostly answered this question in the same thread as nu. the only experience i didnt mention in the other thread that stands out to me is my baptism/first communion. it was a catholic church.. and we didnt usually go on a regular basis but for the weeks leading up to the ceremony i was forced not only to go to church every week but to attend sunday school as well. i was about 7 at the time so i remember nothing about sunday school aside from getting scolded by the teacher... but the actual baptism ceremony stands out.

they had it at night for some reason... and we all had to wear long brown robes and carry these candles across this dark parking lot to where the fountain was with the holy water.. all the adults of the church were walking with us in their own brown robes and they were singing... slow catholic church music... the whole scene had a very cultish vibe... and then they dunked the first kid who started screaming bloody murder... i was a few places behind him.. then it was my turn and they dunked me and the water was unbearably cold, and i figured out why that kid had been crying, then after all that build up it was over in a flash and i was out of the water and walking back towards the church to change out of the soaking wet robe and have my first little taste of wine.
    test
  6. TheBigPayback

Dang yo^ i wouldnt blame u feeling wierd about it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  7. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

as if you wouldn't remember something like that, at seven.

damn, i'd have dashed as soon as i heard the first kid scream ...

[turn] ...
    test
  8. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i think he was just being a pussy cause the water was cold.. his parents kept trying to shut him up.. the robes and candles were what creeped me out tbh
    test
  9. JASON ANTHONY

JASON ANTHONY White Devil

I was born into the Christian church, but the discovery channel as well as age have caused me to ask questions. It seems the more I ask the further away I get. It's hard to follow a Stone Age teaching with modern science proving all that was once known fickle. John the Baptist may have been a holy man, but if you told him the earth was round I'm sure he would have pissed his animal skins. Reading the bible in this day and age is like listening to a kindergartener on the stand in the court room trying to explain what he saw.

The last thing I want to do is sway anyone from their beliefs because it's not my place nor am I the sharpest knife in the drawer, but at this point it all seems so silly to me. The topic interests me and the stories move me, but to be honest that is the extent.
    test
  10. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

yeah that sounds really weird to me. :funny:
    test
  11. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

I don't personally have a problem with modern science giving us an improved look at things that were not known when the Bible was written. If I did and took it to the extreme, then I'd have ask petty questions like "Why weren't there cars, trains, and planes in the Bible?"
    test
  12. TheBigPayback

It doesnt name it specificly but it says in the end days theyll be a ***** increase of technology.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  13. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

many questions that either dont have answers or the answers there are dont make sense.

so ive made up my own that answers those questions.
    test
  14. JASON ANTHONY

JASON ANTHONY White Devil

I'm talking more geological and astrological. My beliefs don't hang in the balance over the fact that they didn't have the internet back then.
    test
  15. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

Born Into christan/catholic family.. accepted jesus was i was around7-10 i guess idk.. and i have had my biiiig struggle.. with my belief's and everything.

it's like a seed was sown in me tho and it grew, bc now i hold on to it more sacredly.. maybe that's bc with age i learn to appreciate things more differently and i tend to have a passionate view on life.
    test
  16. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

yeah, they still do scare me til this day.

creepy as ...

[turn] ...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.