What are you non-believers trying to prove?

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Hope., Jul 30, 2013.

1. Saru Beats

Saru Beats R.I.P. Point Game

If someone proved it to you today that religion was false or that the story of Christ was false (presuming you are Christian) would you stop believing or continue because you know it is 'true to you'?
    test
  2. Hope.

Hope. ambition

You presumed right. lol.

And no I would not stop believing.

I guess that's just my preference.
    test
  3. Saru Beats

Saru Beats R.I.P. Point Game

And that's why religion is such a terrible tool for society. That sort of belief in something EVEN if proved absolutely wrong in front of their eyes is dangerous and toxic to mankind.

Good luck on your journey though brother.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. Hope.

Hope. ambition

Thanks bro.

and i appreciate you for taking part without drama and nonsense.
    test
  5. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

looking at your first few posts, it's obvious that isn't what you meant.

i think you meant non-believer in the way the term is usually used, and now you're just back pedaling.
    • +Rep +Rep x 3
    test
  6. Hope.

Hope. ambition

Go to sleep.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

I like sleep

well not to conitinue the banter, reggie is right, when someone says ''non believer'' the first 10 things that pop to mind dont include ''christians not believing in atheism''

so i tend to believe you originally meant "non believers of religion or god" even if you intended it to cover both sides, you definately picked a side when you wrote the thread title

i know this thread has gone on way longer than you expected, but the way you worded it was a mistake and now youre payin for it lol

live and learn my friend. just stop responding and this thread will die off.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  8. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Basically, it goes like this.

"If something can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth". Probably one of my favorite quotes and most relevant to this question.

How much do you value what is true? I value what is true, so I am offended daily having to live in a world telling a big ass lie. The Abrahamic religions can ALL be PROVEN false. In short order even. And yet, laws and social norms, legislation and public opinion are all swayed by this bullshit.

There is a war of ideas going on. The only way that religion can die the death it needs to for humanity to progress, is to point out how wrong and stupid it is.
    • +Rep +Rep x 4
    test
  9. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

Basically, @Hope., you're saying you like to hurt people and you hurting people should be tolerated because you enjoy hurting people and people shouldn't hurt you over your preference of hurting people.
    test
  10. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

the wars are always over ideologies, not the religion itself.

truth is relative, your truth is not my truth. if you said fact, then yes, i agree.

people will argue over religion until the fucking galaxies implode, i don't see it changing.

:numaan:
    test
  11. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

I see it changing.

i think in 100 yrs most religion will be so watered down and nothing like we know it today. I see spirituality growing, and religions dying off.
    test
  12. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

The irony is...

Nightmare's linear conception of history is entirely rooted in Christian worldview.

This is why I can't take atheist cult seriously. They react militantly against religion but carry it's baggage.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  13. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

what does that even mean?

you think religions don't encourage spirituality? it's the only medium left for spiritual people.

test
  14. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

only medium left for spiritual people? Im spiritual and not religious at all. I dont feel like im missing a medium for it.
    Theres TONS of people who arent religious who are very spiritual. Sure spirituality can come from following a religion, but it most certainly doesnt have to

what i meant is, i see people still believing in some type of god or higher power, just not needing a religion to do it. And i see participation in the worlds religions being way lower in 100 yrs than it enjoys now.
    test
  15. reggie jax

i think it might be impossible to live in our society and not carry its baggage.

i don't think being militant is a good look for atheism, but it's better than being silent.
    test
  16. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

The Abrahamic religions can all be proven false, and have been. Ideologies are rooted in the religion themselves. If any Abrahamic follower wishes to do any number of reprehensible things, they have justification by their religions. Good people take the good shit out of the religions and bad people use it as a tool to perpetuate their shittiness.

The problem is, they are not *true*. Like, objectively.

So I don't care what good, or what bad any religion does as long as people are willing to accept reality. When I hear people go "Well, I know I have no good reason to believe, I just have to"...that's all I need. They care about feeling better more than they care about the actuality of our existence on Earth.

And no, we will not be arguing about religion much longer. Science has been kicking religion in the teeth for centuries now. Only recently has it become nearly impossible to villainize and discredit scientists the way religious folk attempted in the past. Science is essentially exposing god's previous hiding places and finding he's not there. Eventually there's going to be nowhere to hide...
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  17. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

you're not saying anything new here.

i don't know what justification is used to suicide bomb innocence, because that ain't in our doctrines at all.

i've never heard someone say "i have to believe", that's just parental pressure if anything.

i've been asking questions since i was a young'n, and still do.

i don't have to believe in anything, i choose to.

why do you always put science against religion like it's religion's arch-rival, it isn't.

and just using the word religion is such a broad term, you're grouping all different beliefs into one boat.

there's nothing in islam that indicates that science is wrong, and no teachings stagnates the advancement of it either.

test
  18. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

the term religion is such a shit term.

arabs don't have that word in their vocab, they have deen, which translates to way of life.

so with that, everybody in this fucked up world has their own deen, whether you like it or not.

test
  19. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

thats fine, im obviously talking about major religions though
    test
  20. reggie jax

2 points come to mind when i read this

1) the fact that people think a particular religion has the authority to declare science 'wrong' demonstrates why the two are so often at odds. even if science happens to agree with everything scientific that the prophet ever said - that is convenient but it doesn't erase the inevitable tension that exists between 2 mutually independent methodologies with each claiming authority over discovering what is true and what is not. in science, you can't declare certain conclusions off limits despite any possible results in its favor. with religion, you can't help but do that.

2) ...evolution?
    test