What are you currently reading thread

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Carpe Noctem, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SzOKrates

SzOKrates iudicium hoc

Yes, seems appropriate that while reading about the creator I should be squeezing one out.

Glad to hear that Staring at the Sun isn't self help. I go through cycles of "WTF's the point? We're all just going to die" to "We're all going to die, I better take my opportunity to live and experience while I can, even if all my experiences ultimately disappear." I can never properly rationalize either, it's always based on mood. So you giving it a thumbs up tells me it might have something to it.

Seem like a pivotal novel then. The movie cast was stacked.
    test
  2. nom is not dull

nom is not dull swings! misses.

When I read something saying I've not done anything as good as Catch-22 I'm tempted to reply, "Who has?"
    test
  3. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

That's almost exactly how I felt about it as well. Most of the ideas are nothing new - especially as I've read all his other work - but that doesn't seem to detract from it.

Yalom is basically my hero.

I think it was possibly the first book I ever read on this kind of subject, and at the time it was a big influence on me. But I went back and read it a couple of years ago and it just didn't seem anything special the second time round. I think there's important ideas in it but I've come across them being presented in much better ways since.

Our meeting of minds is almost at an end. All you have to do is watch Magnolia and we'll be done.
    test
  4. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

I couldn't get more than 10 pages into Catch-22 when I tried a few years ago. I was recently given a copy by someone who also claims it's one of the best of all time, so I'll have to give it another go.
    test
  5. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Yeah Yalom has been an instant hit with me. Ive pur existensial therapy and a gift on my amazon wish list.

and i saw magnolia about a year ago. loved it. seymour hoffa and (supprisingly cruise) beasted.

also loved the score to it. i think i made a few threads going crazy about the score.
    test
  6. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

Malo >
    test
  7. nom is not dull

nom is not dull swings! misses.

which no one would've read.
    test
  8. Look im Gangsta

they didnt or if they did they just started talking about all the shit scores they liked
    test
  9. Noncentz

Noncentz Sieg Heil, M'fer!

Winston Churchill a history of the English speaking People's.

And my copies are signed by Churchill. :D
    test
  10. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

I don't care what you fucking morons are reading, honestly.
    test
  11. Look im Gangsta

[​IMG]

Good but needs a pinch of salt.
    test
  12. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

Just finished:
    [​IMG]

Just started:
    [​IMG]
    test
  13. billy nomates.

billy nomates. rain cancels play.

i really liked the first gunslinger book. my interest slowly tailed towards the end of the series but read them anyway.
    test
  14. billy nomates.

just finally finished life: a users manual.
    test
  15. SzOKrates

SzOKrates iudicium hoc

How was it?

I liked it, but it was too exhaustive trying to pay attention to theme or symbols, and I usually skipped by the lists. I figure the ports being painted were the apartments, but couldn't get any correlation. So once I through out that thinking and just read it as a book of short stories it became very enjoyable.
    test
  16. billy nomates.

i like it more that i've finished it then i did when i was reading it. yeah i also kind of blanked out at the lists. i kept thinking that i may be missing something important by ignoring them but i really just couldn't be arsed. and i think that's what made me reticent about picking it up each time as i'd always finish at the end of a chapter knowing that the next chapter would start with a list.
    I don't think the ports being painted had anything to do with the apartments because there were just too many ports to apartments. i actually found the ending pretty heartbreaking.
    i found myself getting a bit lost with all the characters but i'm just not very good at remembering that many names, towards the end i started getting it a bit more.
    i read up on wiki all the constraints that he used and it's frankly a bit ridiculous and i'm not sure i even really understood what the hell was going on with the contraints. but when he got down to just doing stories for the sake of the stories i really liked them. i think actually the prologue was one of my favourite bits of the whole thing.
    test
  17. Q 2 I N 2 Y

Q 2 I N 2 Y Judah's son.

On the Crown - Demosthenes 330 BC

Not only reading, but analyzing the grammar usage and sentence structure; as well as learning any words I am not familiar with.

It's like doing drugs, I swear. I love it.
    test
  18. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

the motorcycle diaries
    test
  19. L7 - LMV - L7

L7 - LMV - L7 The Fat Cat

test
  20. Look im Gangsta

this site loves books on money.
    test