what are yall using to thicken your drums...

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Hitman J, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman J

Hitman J lets get get get it....

I layer as I feel a need and like to use the rbass sometimes... just trying to hear some more techinques
    test
  2. Jobe

Jobe Who you think I are?

i layer the SHIT out of my drums...and then compress them a number of different ways. (i'll leave it at that as compression could be tough to explain)...... i'll compress, keep the original outline uncompressed, and then layer those two audio files over one another once those drums are finished. here's an example of the outcome...

zSHARE - Instant Legend - Wrench Mix - Mp3.mp3

a lot of people like to use the presets in reason or cubase...like, the reverb/echo type of shit to add over their drums...and although they thicken them up, layering is a better solution. layering ensures everything will always be unique instead of becoming attached to one preset. if you use those types of presets too often, shit will become mundane and predictable over time...and all of your production will sound the same.
    test
  3. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Mr.BYTCH KILLA Hater Abolisher

Eqing can also put some more umph in your Kicks...

BKster
    test
  4. C.G.

C.G. C.G. Productionz

i layer, usually 2-3 kicks and 3 claps/snares. mess with the panning a little too. compression will help and EQ too
    test
  5. b-real 123

b-real 123 New Member

I layer them but also like using a transient shaper like Trans-X (Waves) or Transmod plugin
    They are good for that extra punch

[​IMG]
    test
  6. Jobe

^^the problem with only EQ the drums with add ons such as that, is the sample might drown out and become second fiddle. unless you have a real subtle song, it might not match the way that the sample's eq'd whatsoever and you're left with a beat sounding different than how you'd planned. i'd recommend running the melody/harmony through two different eq's, tweaking them over eq'd drums if you have the capability of doing so. this will guarantee a more solid and balanced sound
    test
  7. $krewfa¢e

$krewfa¢e *****

layer a shitload of drums... i've layered like over 12 snares before... prolly more on some, but thats on my newer shit... usually dont need that many at all lol n i stay between 5 - 8... kicks i dont layer as many as snares... hi hats depends, sometimes jus like 2, sometimess i use 6 or wutever sounds right... i guess i jus try to get a wider frequency range (??)
    also layering snare/kick/hat enhancer typa shit.... wuteva i can find, WUTEVER typa sounds i can find/make, beatboxing shit, recordin me wackin something, shakin something, etc etc... experimental shit... if i kno a sound that'll help bring out that part of the drum ill use it prolly
    i got some real good experiences layering a kick wit a LOW brass hittin on the same key as the song of course, did that on some pop typa beat, pretty cool shit
    only a little bit of compression if any, since these aint live drums, no need to compress em too much at all....sometimes jus like a pinch, to bring em 'up front in ur face' like.... only use a little bit of eq to nowadays... lately i been noticin the less the better...
    im real scared of the reverb on my snares n kicks to be honest so usually on my rough drafts ill jus use a tiny pinch so they aint too dry lol... scared of drowning out the bang i want
    test
  8. $krewfa¢e

$krewfa¢e *****

also, for hats, or mattter fact all drum, have a reversed on in there... or layers wit different attack times... like on have a hi hat layer wit a real long attack so it only catches the end of the main hat...
    at the end of makin a beat a lotta times i play wit the timing on the layers n move forward/backwards a couple ms or wutever, till it sounds right.. makes it fatter i guess
    test
  9. Jobe

i do that shit all the time as well. makes for a fuller beat, less spaces should you want that more complex drum sound. good post.
    test
  10. MgTheFuture

MgTheFuture Music is my life

sounds like alot of you cats doing too much...

I make sure i use some solid drum kits

Croup been treating me good.

I layer kicks with thud/deep 808s or kicks

and i EQ them if needed.

The Transmod is a good technique along with rbass...

i havent layered reverse sounds much yet though
    test
  11. Money Greene

Money Greene Da Man-Da Myth-Da Legend

To thicken my drums......I use thick drum sounds. If you have like 3 kicks and 19 snares playing, plus EQ and compression, you got shit sounds. You doing too much.
    test
  12. Djay Cas

Djay Cas Woodgrain Oak

lol hell yeah.
    test
  13. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Got Dam!!!...19 snares???..

That is doing to much...and just wasting cpu power and ram....

You can acheive the same sound of them 19 snares with the use of a couple of effects processors...

I also agree with M.G....

The Kick Sample has to be righteous to begin with...

I'll take say for instance 3 Nice Azz Kicks Layered...each one tweak'd at different pitches...maybe even try a couple of effects proccessors...always try to use compression when it's needed...but Eq play a big role IMO...cutting the freq's....

Ill have like 1 to 3 different tracks just for Kicks...and on a seperate Track fader in the mixer...this way you'll have control over the overall sound of the trio layered tracks...they'll each have they on effects Eq,compression,etc.....

But when you think about it...there isnt any rules to how you do it.....It just Concepts...

Ya Feel Me?...

BKster
    test
  14. Hitman J

Hitman J lets get get get it....

thnx for all the feed you just gotta know how to weed out this crazy ass shit and knowledgeable shit from whos postin

ps before you use any of this shit you might wanna peep there shit first lmao............

anyway.. thats whats up man some good and different techniques goin on
    test
  15. Jobe

it depends what kind of shit you're going for that'll decide whether or not you're doing too much. obviously, if you've got a bongo track with heavy bass frequencies you want to be the backbone of your beat, you'll have to take it easy on the kick drums and thick snares. most of my drums i like heavy, realistic sounding...not just like...slaps or claps and then bass pops or whatever the case. there's a zshare link in my first post for reference.

but as far as the 12 snares go..i've done the same thing..it's not like you're layering 12 snares on top of one another at regular volume or something, it's essentially like you're creating your own snare sound of out of a bunch of really quiet ones. this will ensure that your snare doesn't sound the same as somebody else's, especially if you're using common equipment.
    test
  16. NonSenSE913

NonSenSE913 Active Member

I layer some gritty sounding drums with some nice hard hitting 808 kicks and run my drums through a bbe sonic maximizer as well as an alesis compressor for the entire mix to bump everything up a lil more before recording it to the computer.
    test
  17. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

a lot of you are wasting your time....

you just have shitty drums...

the key to making your drums bang is....PICKING THE RIGHT DRUMS.....

certain sounds sit better depending on the existing frequencies floating around your kicks and snares....i usually cut out some of the frequencies clashing with my kicks....yes i make HOLES in my sound so that my kicks can breathe and thump....i hardly ever layer more then 2 kicks together...its usually 1 main kick and an 808 kick for sub kick....thats about it....snares are different...you can layer 2-3 snares to get a specific tone or clappish typa sound outta snares.....

all this multi-layering/eq/compression/multi-pass bullshit is just that...bullshit...yall are doing too much...if you were better at picking the right drums you would be doing way less work....
    test
  18. heroinhav

heroinhav New Member

damn I don't layer like that. I'll experiment a lil and see if I should.
    test
  19. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

You basically saying the same thing that I was saying in my last reply....except for eq.....I disagree...you need eq to cut the Freq's...in the kicks...also fuckin with the eq can can make your kicks hit while at the same time keep them from clipping...I love to play with the eq on my kicks... to achieve that perfect Frequency for the Track..so nothing collides....but on compression I use it when needed....

and like I said....there is no right way for getting your kicks to thump...you do what works for you...

You suppose to come up with your own concept as a Producer or Beat Maker...not follow another person...now you can use another Producers Concept....but if you do...take it beyond to another level....

and by doing this...you just created you Way...

BKster
    test
  20. Jobe

i agree with you, obviously picking the right drums is key. but i know from a ridiculous amount of feedback that i'm doing something right, my drums are the strongest facet of what i do. for kicks, for me...they're just as important to layer as snares because i seldom come across that kick that fits what i'm working with perfectly. and as it is, i usually start beats from the drums up, so it's important for me to feel confident with what i have and move on. i respect your opinion, but i feel like you're not hitting the nail on the head. i feel like there's more ways to skin a cat. i think that screwface and i just appreciate some of the more subtle shit that isn't easily heard...more than anything, that seems to be the explanation.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.