What a bad time to be a contender in the LW division

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Probably moreso than any other division. With GSP, there's always the possibility that he gets taken out on his feet. Anderson Silva - the ground. Lyoto doesn't look so scary anymore (though it's a bit misleading/insulting to think if shogun can do it, other can too), Brock - still relatively untested.

With BJ, the worst he has ever looked was against bigger wrestlers when he moves up.

I can see holes in his game, but they aren't big gaping holes and I don't see many contenders that I feel have all of the tools to exploit them.

But hey, time will tell.
    test
  2. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

Actually, its a great time to be a light weight contender. BJ is about to get bored and move up to Welter.
    test
  3. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Maybe BJ will be WW champ again when GSP tries out for the olympics.
    test
  4. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

He can beat him. I believe in BJ.
    test
  5. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

I definitely think BJ has a better all-around skillset than GSP, but GSP's size advantage and TD skill will probably hand BJ the L.

Dunno how much BJ's fitness at WW factors into the whole equation.
    test
  6. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

agreed.

I still feel that penn's bjj is a little overrated, especially from his back.
    test
  7. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

and I feel comfortable saying that, because I haven't seen ben official post in months.
    test
  8. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

bj still has a long ways to go before i buy all the hype

theres nothing you can tell me about him i dont already know, and im sick of hearing about how good he is... he needs to win lots of fights before im buying this shit

and against top tier guys too
    test
  9. mellance

mellance New Member

No he aint, White has made it clear as day that if BJ is to move anywhere at all he needs to clean out the "contenders" that are left in the LW bracket first, which means we will be forced to endure a matchup against both Maynard and Edgars before a move in any direction will become reality.

And there is talk of BJ even dropping down in weight and going over to WEC and cleaning house.
    test
  10. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Dude, he's practically cleared out his division. Who would you call a top tier UFC LW who BJ hasn't faced yet?

Now that I'd like to see.
    test
  11. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

well see you said UFC.... im thinking world

and the 'old bj' thought he could be lazy and not cut weight, fight bigger guys and win.... that wasnt always true, especially when the bigger guys were world class

he obviously cant take out GSP, so where does this whole thing end? he can dominate american LW's but cant make the jump up to fight elite 170 lb ers?

he is a great LW, but the cock riding on this guy has just been out of control long before he cleared the ufc lw div

lets seem him fight alvarez, aoki, hansen, kawajiri, JZ hasnt been himself lately but a prime JZ cavalcnte give penn fits.
    test
  12. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I'm not a huge BJ fan, but I don't see any LW in the world giving him fits in MMA competition.
    test
  13. ScimonomicS

ScimonomicS New Member

i'd LOVE to see penn vs. alvarez
    test
  14. hakunamatata

hakunamatata New Member

bj penn is the truth. im buying all the hype. this guy can do it all. whatever it takes. dude truly is the prodigy. say what you want bj is gonna get bored with his competition just like anderson silva, who moved up and realized that there wasn't competition there for him either. i love bj penn..but i gota throw this in there. anderson "the spyda" silva is the best figher in the world in his division and a division up.
    test
  15. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

different fighters, different sizes

anderson is naturally somewhere between 185 and 205, bj looks chubby at 170, his natural size is 155... plus there are guys with 5 inch height advantages on him at 170

i guess imo he should have been more into it early instead of trying to rely off pure talent and amass a whatever record fighting bigger elite guys and not winning most of them, that mentality does nothing for me... now that he has cleared the ufc 155 div, dana should send him around the world to fight the best or let him move up to 170 i guess...

as far as silva goes, i cant call him the best at 205 until i see him take that title and clean house ... sorry if machida is his boy, this is a sport, sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do
    test
  16. WhiteWidow

WhiteWidow how u luv dat?

are you serious? who does he have to beat? lol. who's left in the lw division? what more does he have to do? lol. wtf?
    test
  17. WhiteWidow

^i posted that before i read all the replies.

still ridic. at this point bj should be proven to everyone. its alvarez, etc that have to prove they are better than bj.
    test
  18. Nikkles

Nikkles Don't Fuck With Chuck

Alvarez would be a good match, I couldn't see Aoki giving BJ problems though.
    test
  19. WhiteWidow

there may be a lot of bj nut huggers (like me), but there are also a lot of bj haters, for no rational reason.
    test
  20. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i like how bj has always had an excuse

wight, greasing, etc

yeah forget the fact that st pierre is just outright better than you and YES bigger...

the only time bj has been big is when he has been fat, and whos fault is that? hey im glad he is actually taking the sport seriously, because when he wasnt the hype didnt fit the nutrags.

he is finally proving to ME, a very long time mma follower and supporter, that the hype is becoming deserved. im not a bj hater.... i hated the fans who sucked his dick before he did shit....

gassed against hughes... and got beaten like a little bitch (fight 2)
    got that boxed head boxed off by gsp badly then wanted to cry about greasing lmao... yeah hes not stronger than you, that couldnt be it

heres the REAL point.... the gomi and hughes wins early in the career were nice, but aside from the recent finishes against, sanchez , florian , and sherk, who the fuck did he beat ? what were his incredible fucking legendary wins? his decision loss to a green machida? lol the UD win over renzo? rodrigo? or the rnc 'W' on the mma colossus jens pulver?

this is why im saying RECENTLY he is beginning to live up to the hype all these nutraggers gave him... he is STARTING to earn my respect, and likely would have gotten it earlier if fuckin fools didnt crown him the second coming of christ before he did shit in the sport.

holler the fuck back

fuckin nick diaz chokes gomi out and nobody wants to give him an oz of credit, and hey lets not forget thats in the midst of a run with 1 loss in 11 fights including wins over katsuya inoue, former king of pancrease.... frank shamrock, gleison tibau, scott smith.....

i like how the rules of acceptance are different depending on a fighters fan base.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.