Weidman/Silva 2 Write Up

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by DemiGod, Jul 10, 2013.

1. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Now that Anderson has supposedly changed his mind on a rematch for the strap, I think it's time to break the possible fight down.

The opinions on the outcome of Weidman/Silva 2 seem pretty extreme....half seem to think Weidman would KO Silva spectacularly again and the other half think a more focused Silva would rip through Weidman. Looking at the first match, I don't think either of those two things would happen. Weidman's win was certainly legit but I can't see Silva being so cocky or careless again, so I don't see a repeat KO (on the feet at least). Also, while a focused Anderson Silva is quite a scary opponent, Weidman dominated round 1 on the mat and there's no reason to think he wouldn't be able to duplicate that. No matter how much Anderson drills his takedown defense, he's not going to be able to stop Chris from taking him down. Add in that Weidman totally neutralized Anderson's BJJ game and landed some solid ground and pound, things do not look good for the future Hall of Famer. I see Silva being more focused and the fight being more competitive, but Weidman's all around game and distinct age advantage being too much for him. Weidman will use his wrestling to take Silva down and rain leather in ways Chael Sonnen could only dream of. I see Weidman hurting Silva with ground and pound and snatching a late submission.

Chris Weidman def Anderson Silva via sub in round 4.

Discuss.
    test
  2. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

thing inoticed is that silvas take down defense is nowhere near as goods as for example Fedors was (if uwatch fedor vs snowman as an example)..he is caught off balance too often, i guess due to his rather fancy striking game..
    test
  3. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

i seem to remember chris giving up on wrestling because silva was stuffing him easily in the second round.

maybe i watched a different fight though, so idk.
    test
  4. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Weidman was 1 for 2 on takedown attempts.....I think he chose to stand with Silva cuz Silva was offering 0 defense and not a whole lot of offense.
    test
  5. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Fightmetric says 1 of 3 but I think they counted the clinch against the cage as a TD attempt.
    test
  6. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

i'd say 1 for 3 at least.

silva stuffed him easily. weidman only stood with silva because he didn't think he could get back in.
    test
  7. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Idk.....I looked it up and fightmetric scored 2 first round takedowns, the first shot was considered a stuff but then Weidman finished so it counted 1/2.....I call that 1/1 but who's gonna argue with a random computer.
    test
  8. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

guess we'll see what happens. i was expecting weidman to take silva down again in the second round because he was doing well, but then he chose to stand. not sure why.

standing with silva is always a bad idea, and if that happens again, i don't see weidman winning
    test
  9. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Probably because Silva only threw about 6 punches in round 1 and the spent round 2 dicking around.
    test
  10. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

Weidman fell right into silvas trap. At this point in Silvas career it appeared to me that he is bored. There is only so many times that you can break every striking coach's advice and get away with not only the knockout but avoid getting knocked out. He has been trying to find a way to entertain himself while drawing his opponents in to a stand up battle and he finally got caught. This is why he wants Roy jones, super fight, etc. he's a troll with talent.
    test
  11. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

I agree. he's destroyed everyone in his weight class. there's nothing left for him to do. eventually he's gonna lose, so might as well be to someone sooner rather than when he's 45.
    test
  12. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

This is the first time I've heard a guy getting brutally ko'd and still a favorite in the rematch near 40. Odd makers know he got "caught" and to be honest I think Weidman will get tired of the yells of "fluke" and go for the ko again
    test
  13. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

I think Weidman also knew as soon as Silva started taunting that the best thing to do is to keep fighting him. Yushin Okami, Vitor, Bonnar, and Franklin all got caught up in watching Silva when he started taunting them. As soon as he drops his hands, they just stop and watch and wait. They get freaked out. Sonnen is the only guy that when Silva put his hands down he rushed forward and either started swinging or shot for a double leg. The best way to fight Silva is to force him to fight and not to give him any time to think.

Here's something to think about, considering Weidman has never looked bad in a fight, even against Anderson Silva: Perhaps Weidman is gifted too. Perhaps he wanted Silva to think he was winning the stand up war so he would get cocky? Or maybe it's just way simpler than that. Perhaps Silva didn't have anything for Weidman without making Weidman so emotional that he started getting sloppy, so he started fighting like that because he thought it was his best bet. Maybe Weidman had a better strategy for this fight, and perhaps his punch knocked out Silva because he kept his cool, kept throwing, and stayed sharp. Why is this hard to believe? Is it because Silva is an extremely confident yet mysterious soft-spoken Brazilian who looks like Morpheus, while Weidman is an American flag wearing, pizza eating, east-coast accent having white guy with the driest personality in the entire UFC? I think so.
    test
  14. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

I know people get tired of me talking about the Sonnen fight, but after that fight was the first time I became skeptical of Silva's perceived invincibility. I, like everyone else, thought that Sonnen wasn't making it out of round one. After that one, I knew Silva could be beaten. There was a way. With this Weidman fight, I have no reason yet to believe that Weidman would beat all of the same people Silva could and has beaten. I don't know that Weidman stylistically would look as good against Vitor or Sonnen. P4p, Silva is still better than Weidman to me, but Weidman is a horrible match up for Silva. Silva looked different in this fight, even without the taunting. He didn't seem as confident in the idea of kicking Weidman. I've never seen him seem so driven to make his opponent angry. Etc. etc.
    test
  15. D-verse

D-verse No drama

I corectly picked Weidman in the first, now I pick Anderson in the second, it's 5 rounds I think Weidman is more likely to get tired and hurt somewhere down the line in the fight and Anderson sall come in with crisp enough wrestling or BJJ to not get manhandled. I still can see Weidman winning but my official pick is Silva.
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i missed the fight,

tried a few times to find the highlight KO, but gave up after seeing about 6 diff vids with everything BUT the ko in it. Im sure theres one up now but i dont even care anymore lol

I didnt see the first one so i dont know about the second. Maybe if silva did a little less showboating he may win in a rematch. Or atleast do a little better with the showboating
    test
  17. D-verse

D-verse No drama

I'll PM you a site with the fight. I deserve a positive rep for that. Double ML negged me like a chidlish school girl
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  18. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

its ok, but you can have the rep

as a side, im starting to like Chael sonnen
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  19. D-verse

D-verse No drama

I was about to post you a link to the fight but I can't, if you want to see it send me a message.
    test
  20. D-verse

D-verse No drama

un-disable me from sending you messages, it's a funny ko.
    test