WEEK 26 of the [R M P L]: UFC ON FOX 6!!!

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by LungZzZ, Jan 22, 2013.

?

Do you like Bonus Fights?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2013.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I liked the Brazilian Card girls.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I didn't like the Brazilian Card girls Boyfriends.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

I'll try and edit our ranks/records tonight.
    If that doesn't happen, my next day off :)
    test
  2. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

This post here, and...

These posts here spawned my response.. @Jest Chillin:

Idk if Dodson is faster than DJ, but they are certainly of equivalent quickness. There is a difference in SPEED [ sprinting swiftness ] and QUICKNESS [ reflex time ]. DJ moves around alot, so SPEED is crucial to his ever-changing fluid movement, and QUICKNESS is crucial because he needs to explode into attacks defenses and counters from any position at any time while in motion.

Dodson is probably of equivalent QUICKNESS. I haven't seen enough of his footwork to determine his SPEED vs a guy like DJ...and even if he is of equivalent SPEED, his game isn't oriented toward using it to the extent that DJ's game plans are.

I think that Dodson isn't as complete a mixed martial artist as DJ is, and DJ and his team led by Matt Hume correctly scouted this fact about Dodson. Dodson doesn't use his wrestling offensively enough...a real surprise coming from a Jackson trained top flight fighter. Dodson doesn't employ a kickboxing oriented standup game, another surprise from a Jackson and Winklejohn trained fighter. And that's what leaves him vulnerable to the MT clinch, and elbows. A real, real surprise, like I said, that there was such a pronounced oversight. Another thing I noted was a lack of rapier jabs by both fighters. Dodson also doesn't throw leg kicks enough, with a varied enough arsenal of low kicks...something I noted immediately, and something which is vital imo to slow down Mighty Mouse...and not enough of a TKD arsenal of kicks. TKD is especially appropriate for speed demons like Dodson and DJ, because TKD's combination kicking and underrated KO power are both unusual for MMA and difficult to defend.

@LungZzZ 1st quote: I completely agree about the standing 3-point position. I deliberately manuever my training partners into the 3 point standing position precisely for striking purposes. Lovely eye rakes,ear and latissumus bites, hair pulls, knee kicks, shin scrapes, foot stomps, neck and deltoid bites and strikes, spine spikes, torques, cranks and hyperextensions and a whole arsenal that's illegal to MMA but perfectly expected and acceptable in TMA will augment the basic MMA arsenal from that position.

@ LungZzZ 2nd quote: Man, I must say: I've been "grazed" in the groin by professional Muay Thai fighters 2 and 3 weight classes above me. Allow me to state with finality that there was nothing "grazing" about it. The pain is...both intense and anger inducing. I don't think that Dodson was fronting there, but I wasn't getting kneed so I can say for sure. I can say, though, that even a hard knee to the small intestines area below the belt but above the testes is very painful and can knock the air out of a person with ease.
    test
  3. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah i dont think the illegal blows were an issue anyway

if they were youd probably have heard the other dude bitch about it. If he aint bitching, i aint worrying.
    test
  4. Jest Chillin

Jest Chillin New Member

@DethStryque While I don't disagree with you on Dodson's weaknesses.. had the last two rounds gone down the same as the first two rounds.. he's walking away with a decision victory. I mean.. it's one thing to talk about decision mistakes.. like not attempting leg kicks or not jumping on a dazed Johnson.. but the lack of conditioning was the primary factor in this one I think. I'm not confident that even improving his wrestling would have done all that much good since Johnson has taken down high level wrestlers as well. Out quicking Johnson is what was winning him the early rounds and creating the counter opportunities. He just couldn't keep that pace up and Johnson ended up tracking him down and exploiting his weaknesses.

So yeah, he definitely needs to improve his skillsets in a number of areas. But when talking specifically about what lost him that fight.. it was conditioning.
    test
  5. Makabreli

Makabreli done

wow, showtime
    test
  6. LungZzZ

I won't even argue with you here,
    I have like swiftly itched the scrotum and left myself in pain for a short time.
    I wasn't implying that Dodson was faking,
    more or less trying to explain DJ was not intentionally doing a low-blow.
    test
  7. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

conditioning definitely was the deciding factor in this fight. but, let me just throw this out there that with more experience, dodson would've finished that fight in the first 2 rounds.

he was out-quicking DJ and had him knocked out if he had just followed up those knockdowns. instead he wanted to make it decisive 1-punch ko. when he learns to take advantage of those opportunities, he'll beat DJ 9/10 times. i really believe had he rushed and gone for the strikes as soon as he saw DJ falling, he would've won.

inexperience/hesitation + lack of conditioning = downfall.
    test
  8. LungZzZ

having a family is essential
    you end up running an mma league without 1
    test
  9. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

i thought he should have been able to finish him. i mean he dropped the guy like 3 times in the same round. by the time the fourth round got there i knew he was down and by the fifth round i thought he might get stopped.

the low blows were obviously not intentionally thats not even debate worthy.

glad to see clay guida didn't fight like a douche this time, even though he won the fight via ground and fuck

showtime pettis was very impressive! i mean he went out there and destroyed a top fighter without breaking a sweat. i think i might pick him over bendo
    test
  10. LungZzZ

Pettis beat bendo pretty good that first time.
    test
  11. LungZzZ

Check out the RAP MUSIC PREDICTIONS LEAGUE too for the updated ranks!!

CLICK HERE!!!
    test
  12. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

yeah but they was different fighters then
    test
  13. LungZzZ

Pettis has only gotten better, Bendo has only gotten better.
    Your right in the sense that neither of us can really know if Bendo or Pettis is going to win,
    what is known is that Bendo is who you will be picking and Anthony will be who I am picking :)
    test
  14. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

nahhhhh ive picked against bendo in all of his fights in the ufc except the guida fight
    test
  15. LungZzZ

true then Bendo's getting fucked up bra
    test
  16. Jest Chillin

Jest Chillin New Member

Actually the first fight was damn close. A lot of people feel Pettis won simply because of the flashy kick. I also feel like it's a bit disingenious to say they've both just gotten better. Pettis actually had 2 really rough performances and had stalled out there for a bit.

Don't get me wrong.. He's looked great in his last two wins. I just haven't seen anything that's told me that he's actually gotten better. He hasn't had his ground game tested to show that he's improved there. And Hendo may have been resting on his laruels once he got that title. He performed worse in the second Edgar fight than he did in the first and the Diaz fight was light work anyways.
    test
  17. LungZzZ

They are both in a league with more consistent talent.
    Pettis got wrestle raped but looked great in guard,
    but Bendo couldn't just dominate him with 5 rounds of lay n pray the first time,
    I doubt he could do it now.
    test
  18. Jest Chillin

Jest Chillin New Member

Pettis not only got wrestle raped by Guida (who Bendo schooled) but barely scraped by Jeremy Stephens.. who Cerrone mauled.

Pettis shows well when people give his reputation too much respect and let him control the pace. Anytime people have brought the fight to him, he's a different fighter. I honestly haven't seen anything that's shown improvement. But that's pretty much with both of them. I think a rematch stays close, possibly favoring Bendo since Bendo has had the much harder opponents of the two.
    test
  19. LungZzZ

Pettis looked great off his back against Guida,
    and Bendo used his wrestling not to be taken down against Guida...
    It is a different fight,
    if you want a good fight to base what this one might look like,
    look at Pettis vs Bendo 1..
    test
  20. Jest Chillin

Jest Chillin New Member

This is crazy late and a moot discussion since Pettis is fighting Aldo now but I recently re-watched Pettis v Bendo and honestly Bendo had that fight won until the kick. Watching it after the fact Bendo didn't seem to get rocked by it. So it really won the fight just by the flashy aspect of it alone. I don't think Bendo would be susceptible to the same type of tactic a second time.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.