Week 15: R.m.p.l. {{ufc 152}}

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by LungZzZ, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

Long time coming eh guys?
    Week 15 is finally here. Without further ado,
    lets get to the PICKS!!!

[​IMG]
    UFC 152 takes place in Canada,
    in the Air Canada Center.
    Rory MacDonald and BJ PENN were scheduled to collide,
    but due to an injury suffered by Rory,
    it had to be rescheduled to December 8th.

5-FIGHT MAIN-CARD:
    Jon Jones CHAMP vs Vitor Belfort CHALLENGER 4 UFC Light Heavyweight Title.
    Joseph Benavidez vs Demetrious Johnson for the VACANT Flyweight Title.
    Michael Bisping vs Brian Stann @ Middleweight.
    Matt Hamill vs Roger Hollett @ Light Heavyweight.
    Cub Swanson vs Charles Oliveira @ Featherweight.

This Main-card is filled with nothing but satisfaction.
    First off, in the Featherweight division, we have young gun Charles Olivera,
    someone who is waiting to enter another hot streak, facing MMA vet Cub Swanson.
    Matt Hamill is making his return to the UFC, in CANADA none the less ;),
    Briann Stann vs Bisbing is finally happening,
    which could be considered a #1 contenders match for Michael.
    I don't need to mention the fact Toronto is also housing the FIRST Flyweight Champion come Saturday,
    marking the first time a Title was fought for (for the first time) in Canada.
    (That sentence is a bitch but it makes sense...Kind of like a bitch)
    (Damn now the sentence explaining the confusion is confusing :( )

MAKE YOUR PICKS EASY TO READ AS ALWAYS FOLKS!!!
    I've seen Deth posting around lately,
    it would be great to see you in here HOMEY!!!
    As always make your picks easy to read,
    Try bolding or using Bright Colors,
    and HAVE FUN!!!!!!
    LONG TIME since we had to pick!!!
    test
  2. LungZzZ

test
  3. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Jon Jones
    Joseph Benavidez
    Michael Bisping
    Roger Hollett
    Charles Oliveira
    test
  4. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Jon Jones
    Joseph Benavidez (FON)
    Michael Bisping
    Matt Hamill
    Charles Oliveira
    test
  5. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

Jon Jones CHAMP vs Vitor Belfort CHALLENGER
    Joseph Benavidez vs Demetrious Johnson
    Michael Bisping vs Brian Stann
    Matt Hamill vs Roger Hollett
    Cub Swanson vs Charles Oliveira

fuck bisping.
    test
  6. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

I would really love to see Brian Stann win this one, I just don't think he will.

People predicted that Stann would KO Sonnen, and we all saw how much of that fight he was winning (about 0%). Stann is that guy in the movie you have to root for, he's really hard to dislike and he has the real life experience to make it impossible to really ever count him out (unless he's scheduled to fight Hector Lombard, for some reason people convinced themselves that he faked an injury against the god Hector out of "fear", because Hector Lombard's losing to Tim Boetsch ass is apparently more intimidating than any war scenario).

But hey, these guys both lost to Sonnen, and Sonnen "sucks", so no one should really be hyped for this fight at all anyways.
    test
  7. LungZzZ

Picks

Pickin' Time

Jon Jones CHAMP vs Vitor Belfort CHALLENGER 4 UFC Light Heavyweight Title.
    I didn't do any research for this fight...
    Vitor has damn good hands and I wouldn't be upset if he pulled off the upset,
    I have no personal ties to Jones. That being said, get the W buddy!!

Joseph Benavidez vs Demetrious Johnson for the VACANT Flyweight Title.
    This one could be amazing, or a rude awakening,
    I'd argue KOTN here.

Michael Bisping vs Brian Stann @ Middleweight.
    FUCK. Can't believe I just did that...
    Bisbing has a chance to submit Brian here though...

Matt Hamill vs Roger Hollett @ Light Heavyweight.
    By no means will this be easy,
    going against the hometown hero, but if anyone is the man for the job,
    it is Hamill.

Cub Swanson vs Charles Oliveira @ Featherweight.
    I will never pick Charles again if he gets dropped :p.

Picks
    test
  8. LungZzZ

Do you love Chael more than Nasty does Fedor?

Get off my case and yes your hero sucks. Tell him to win a belt.
    test
  9. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Sonnen isn't my hero.

My hero in this sport is probably BJ Penn or Jon Jones before he lost work for so many people at 151.

And no, I will never pretend that I think Sonnen is the GOAT unless he beats the number one guy in the world and stays the number one guy in the world himself or whatever, so no I don't think I do view him as anyone views Fedor.

I defend him for the same reason I defended Rashad Evans so vigorously after he lost to Machida and people acted like he was all of the sudden a mid-tier LHW. Do I think Rashad is the best LHW? Nah, I'm a realistic ass dude also, I predicted Silva would beat Sonnen both times, and I predicted that he'd have a hard time doing it. I was right. I also predicted Jon Jones would beat Rashad and he'd have to be more cautious than he was with Machida, Shogun, and Rampage. I was right there too. It's so easy for people to be blinded by hatred because they think someone is a cunt as a person.

The only guy I really do dislike in this sport is probably Brock Lesnar. I really dislike him as a fucking person, and the push he got, I think he's a dumb ass and a quitter and a waste of natural talent. I would never act like he didn't win his championship legitimately and that he didn't defend his championship against the number one contender at the time, and if he made a come back unless it was clear that he was worse than he had ever been, I would never say that he isn't a top ten HW just because I think he's a cunt of a human being.
    test
  10. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

Me too...except that I'm kinda sentimentally, kinda objectively choosing Johnson over Benavidez

Although I'd love to see Stann shut Bisping up, I don't see it happening. Although I think that the UFC is trying to build Hamill up because of his media potential as a role model overcoming a hearing challenge, I don't think he'll excel enough in the Octagon to warrant a serious push [ although I think he'd do a solid job as a middle of the pack guy with decent to solid marketing and commercial opportunities if he's handled right ].

I really, really want Demetrius to beat Joseph Benavidez. But I really really don't like how Joseph comes down about 15 pounds to make the flyweight class, as he'll come in on fight night between about 150-55 [ a lightweight ]. I truly hate weight cutting; makes a mockery of weight classes and it's flat out cheating in sports. You're supposed to fight guys your size, not bigger or smaller guys.

I think that Joseph--being a lightweight cutting to bantamweight--has the pure size and a solid enough wrestling pedigree to hold off Demetrius. Just as Cruz is really a lightweight and NEITHER Dominic Cruz nor Joseph Benavidez should be in the bantamweight division, they both should be getting their heads torn off by the TRUE UFC LW Champion, Frankie Edgar [ as much as I like Smooth? He should be in the WW division period ].

But Demetrius "Might Mouse" Johnson is a true bantamweight, with true speed and aggression. He's definitely quicker than Benavidez, and I think he's learned a few things from his fight with Cruz. I know he wants that fight back, and I know he wants to avenge that loss.

I think that Demetrius will put his game together simiarly to Frankie Edgar's game...just faster still, with more standing barrages used to set up his takedowns. Demetrius must really work on his ground game, his guard game, and his gnp though. I think he has done so, and I know he'll be better in 2-3 more fights, training camps, or any combo thereof from now [ and imo that's when he should rematch Cruz, not sooner than that ].

So I'm going with Mighty Mouse. "Here I come to save the daaayyyy..."
    test
  11. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

Jones
    Johnson
    Bisping
    hollett
    cub
    test
  12. LungZzZ

Your first two paragraphs were good but when you assume why people do or think what they do, you lose me everytime.

From 2006-Up, I see maybe 4 names that Sonnen beat, that I could see as peoples all time favs, or be considered the top or around top of their division. One was Paulo Filho, who couldn't even make weight for the contest.

Chael can talk, he is the GOAT of talking (well no ALI, DIAZ>Sonnen) he is a DECENT fighter at BEST, and only because of the strength of testosterone that is not made in his body but injected.
    test
  13. DethStryque

While i respect your opinion man...it's a FACT that Jon Jones did NOT lose work for anyone but hmself and Chael at 151. Dana White made the call to pull the plug on the fight card. Not Jon Jones. Jon Jones could NEVER do such a thing. He's not the shot caller in the UFC. Period point blank full stop.

You know what? Dana coulda called Chael to fight Rashad, and he didn't. Chael wanted Jones and DIDN'T DESERVE THE SHOT. Period. He just got stomped by Anderson. Rashad was helping Vitor train, so he could have conceivably made the fight...at a 215 catchweight. Dana just decided not to do it.

Gustafson could've fought Chael...but Rashad would have been the bigger ticket and done better sales.
    test
  14. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Diaz is one of the most awkward talkers ever in any category of life, but he is a great fighter.

Also, Jon Jones certainly helped lose people work, as did Dan for not notifying Dana about his injury, as did Dana. This isn't a black and white thing, there are multiple parties, and I never ever said that Jon Jones single-handedly lost people work, so stop that.

Vitor just got "stomped" by Anderson two fights ago (in the first round without actually winning a round or mounting any significant offense), his last win at 205 was in 2007 and his last win period was against a severely dehydrated Anthony Johnson who got dropped by the UFC immediately afterwards. The guy is seriously NOT more qualified to fight for the 205 title than Chael is realistically.

If you guys think Chael Sonnen didn't deserve a shot, which I actually agree with for the most part, Vitor getting this shot should make you absolutely furious.
    test
  15. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

and Vitor tested for elevated testosterone too Lungz, why aren't you calling him a juicer?
    test
  16. krowe23

krowe23 New Member

jones
    benavidez
    stann
    hamill
    oliviera
    test
  17. DethStryque

While I agree that Jon Jones' decision was certainly a party in Dana's decision to kill UFC 151 or whatever it was, the final decision is still Dana's. Dana and Dana alone is the only guy outside of the Fertitas who could make that decision, and Dana is the guy who should bear the brunt of the responsibility involved. Dana coulda had Chael scrap with Gustafson or whatever. It's not a Black or White thing, it's a Boss and Employee thing. The Boss calls the shots and carries the responsibilities of shot callin. That's it.

Vitor got the call vs Jones because nobody else could and would get ready soon enough and yet still be a draw of sorts. Do I think that Vitor matches up better against Jones than Chael does? Yes I do. Because I don't think that Chael will be able to take Jones down and if he by some miracle does? He certainly can't keep Jones down. Which means Chael will have to strike. And Jones demolishes him there. I think that Vitor is a better striker than Chael is, and Vitor's bjj is waaayyy better. Will Vitor make it out of Round 3 vs Jones? Imo hell naw. But neither will Chael. And I think that Vitor would be more competitive for the 1-3 rounds that this fight lasts.

Do I think that Vitor was most deserving of a title shot? No. Do I think it was needed not only from a "step up for the UFC" perspective but also from a "we just saw this guy fight we're not gonna pay for it again" PPV sales revenue business decision perspective? Yes.

Rashad already fought Jones, so it was too soon for a rematch. Machida wasn't ready for a rematch of such magnitude, because a loss would essentially end him in the UFC. Rua just fought Vera in a good solid throwdown. Rua would need a full fight camp--that's October or November--to prepare for [ and lose again to ] Jon Jones. So that was a no-go. Machida would never get another title shot at Jones again if he lost to Jones in this impromptu rematch. He would never get within sight of a title shot until and unless Jones either lost to someone [ unlikely ] or moved up to HW [ around 2014 ]; so Machida was in a very clear lose-LOSE situation if he took the fight. The UFC would use him up then shelve and ignore him. I think Machida was right both as a athlete and a businessman to make the decision he made.

I think that Rua-Machida 3 maybe coulda happened though. Maybe. And if it did? The card would've been saved. Doesn't seem like Dana tried that route.

I agree with you that maybe Hendo coulda alerted Dana sooner if Hendo knew he couldn't fight on the card, but I don't really know what was happening in Hendo's camp so I can't say for sure that he really could have alerted Dana in time to save the card or not. Can you?

Truth is? Chael got smoked by Anderson and had Anderson not been injured the first time around? Anderson would've smoked him then, too. Chael only won rounds when Anderson was injured. Cheal did take Anderson down in their rematch, but due to Anderson's bjj Chael couldn't do anything with his position, which says lots about Anderson. Imo as a judo and bjj and wrestler and lifelong martial artist? You not only have to take a guy down, but you have to do damage from that position. Chael got the takedown but was immediately nuetralized for 4/5ths of the round, so he really didn't do anything but walk into The Spider's Web. Anderson was taking all of this information he got from Chael as they grappled in round 1 and putting it into his matchless MMA computer brain. He already had Chael dead to rights before round 2 began.

Exactly like how he did Hendo in THEIR matchup.
    test
  18. LungZzZ

Lol Farooq I'm talking IN fight, Chael le hero only talks OUTSIDE of fighting,
    like I said, he is GOOD at talking, if he was a legend he could do it while fighting,
    but we all know he needs all his focus on the double-leg (and testoserone recharge
    shots for the after party)
    test
  19. DethStryque

Idk a single MMA'ist of substance that Chael has defeated. I don't think he can beat Vitor, either.

But omg he's the G.O.A.T. of selling PPV matches, lolol.
    test
  20. LungZzZ

Appreciate you dropping your picks man!
    Longtime!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.