Was the "Control" verse a good idea by Kendrick Lamar?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Aug 14, 2013.

?

Was this a good idea by kendrick Lamar?

1. Yes

91.7%
  2. No

8.3%
  1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

fuck you if you dont think this is a big deal. fuck you in the ass with eazy-e's corpse dick.

the shit has only been out a fucking day and several top name rappers have already responded including Big Krit, Lupe fiasco, BOB, Joel Ortiz and more...

This is a huge turning point in Kendrick Lamar's career and its something EVERY rapper has to go through if they want to be considered one of the greats...

the shit could turn him into Jay-z after he dropped takeover and make people take him even more serious than they do now, or it could turn him into 50 cent and alienate him from the rap world...

my question to you niggas is

was this a good idea? why?
    test
  2. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Again I still haven't peeped this, but before I do, I kinda am curious why people are saying this.....comparing it to takeover?....why
    test
  3. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

go to hiphopdx.com and look at all of the main stories and you'll see why.
    test
  4. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

I am asking your opinion
    test
  5. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

its not really a hard hitting diss like takeover was... its a light jab to a list of the top young rappers in the game. its him waking up the hip hop world... saying look niggas, just incase you didn't know, I run this shit right now... and this isn't a friendly business. in case you niggas forgot, rap is competition.

he lists a bunch of rappers he respects and lets them know that they're on notice, and in a way like j Cole tweeted, he's also dissing the rappers he didnt mention because he shows he doesnt respect them.

honestly, i think it was genius. all the best rappers of all time had to go through some type of beef to to test their lyrical ability. Kendrick just opened up the floodgates for a slew of disses coming his way... and if he can come up on top it'll lend more credence to him being one of the best...
    • +Rep +Rep x 3
    test
  6. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

thank you....I have been asking since yesterday and this is a good answer...
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

i actually already gave a similar response in 1 of the other threads, but i forget which 1 cause theres 2 boards now with different threads in each
    test
  8. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

I didn't notice the other post....yeah there are a few threads with this as the subject, I have been just trying to get a explanation of why people feel this is so big....it seems to be a good idea, I will peep it today
    test
  9. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

if this was 10 years ago it wouldnt be big, but in contemporary hip hop thers like 1 diss per year, so it was exciting.
    test
  10. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

word....It would seem that the responses from people indicate that they do not remember what a "diss" once was.....But that doesn't seem to be kendrick's intent based upon what little I have read about it.....That is why I was curious about the takeover comparison....that was a time when people went all out for this kind of thing....and when twitter didn't exist
    test
  11. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

in the rap game, there are leaders and followers... kendrick Lamar proved that hes a leader and all these niggas scrambling together to throw 2gether their little diss tracks... are followers... and its funny.
    test
  12. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

absolutely.

he was showing some friendly competition and everybody knows if you're a rapper or athlete for that matter, you wanna be nothing but the best and try to prove it.

shit, he got Phil fuckin' Jackson responding to it, this is great for Hip Hop lol
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  13. Blackbeard

Blackbeard The Poster Formerly Known as Murder Ink

It brought him a ton of publicity and it's making a lot of rappers spit some passionate shit, bringing their lyrical best

seems like a good idea to me lol
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  14. Ace the Prophet

Ace the Prophet A Prophet to the Game

Good idea. Hip hop's buzzin hard this week
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  15. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Got everybody talking about him, so yeah, a good idea in that sense. For now.

Funny thing about it, to me, is just how soft the conversation around it is from more current listeners and non-hiphoppers in the social media world, that are taken aback so much by the slightest braggadocio and name dropping. Softies acting like it's a vulgar display of power and that the responses are dramatic fits... no, this is hip-hop, this is rap. This is how people get down at the most basic level. You don't even need to be emotional... it's just reflex and instinct.
    • +Rep +Rep x 3
    test
  16. D Funkdafied

D Funkdafied D-Funkdafied Music

test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

So is this like Kendrick's "How to Rob 2013?"

Can somebody post the verse?

I try to tell people that hip hop was BUILT on battlin'... I was just in the barbershop today saying that and this young cat brushed me off, like he couldn't understand why it has to be about that... but that's the culture... MCs, DJs, B-boys, and graffers have been proving themselves since Day 1... I know everybody wants it to be just an art or a business... but the competition is what drives the culture and really determines who's great or not... it affects both the art and the business, as many careers have been ended by battles.
    test
  18. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

No, 50 got a response from Wu-Tang, Jay and Pun.

So far K Dot just got a response from Joell Ortiz, Cassidy and Papoose. I don't hate non of thos cats AT ALL! But they always respond. Joell did his 2Pac Back "response", Cassidy attacked Meek and I don't know squad about Pap but it's not like K Dot's verse just made Tyler, The Creator, Kanye or Jay spit a hot verse against him...

Nigga didn't made shit but some buzz in the net. And come on.. a buzz in the net?
    test
  19. Dj Khaled Sucks

Dj Khaled Sucks Active Member

Shit is being blow completely out of proportion.

Kendrick is in my top 5 right now, though. I'd love to see how he'd hold up in a battle. Hopefully he'll step out of his comfort zone and finish off faggot ass Papoose.
    test
  20. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Even beyond the battle aspect, you hear something dope or provocative, and you get inspired to do your own thing or up the ante. There's something about writing's craft that makes focused design inherently defensive and offensive, because there's awareness of risk and forethought in it... like laying the blueprint for an impenetrable fortress. Doomsday Preppers.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test