Wanna learn about MMA? Enter. (UPDATE: Watch all UFCs in here! & Pride 1-22))

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Will update as I see fit. Any suggestions or corrections, pm me.

1. What is MMA?
    2. The Evolution
    3. Strategies
    4. Popular Disciplines
    5. Hybrid Styles
    6. What is MMA?
    7. Event Library

MMA = Mixed Martial Arts. Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full contact combat sport that allows a wide variety of fighting techniques, from a mixture of martial arts traditions and non-traditions, to be used in competitions. The rules allow the use of striking and grappling techniques, both while standing and on the ground. Such competitions allow martial artist of different backgrounds to compete.

The Evolution

1) History

a) Pre-Modern

- Some of the earliest forms of widespread unarmed combat sports with minimal rules were the Shardana and Egyptian freefighting, followed from Greek pankration, which was introduced into the Olympic Games in 648 B.C. Greek pankration was less violent than Etruscan and Roman pancratium, perhaps one of the best pastimes of the Roman Colosseum, the largest arena in the ancient world.

- No-holds-barred events reportedly took place in the late 1800s when wrestlers representing a huge range of fighting styles including various catch wrestling styles, Greco-Roman wrestling and many others met in tournaments and music-hall challenge matches throughout Europe.

- In the USA the first major encounter between a boxer and a wrestler in modern times took place in 1887 when John L. Sullivan, then heavyweight world boxing champion, entered the ring with his trainer, Greco-Roman wrestling champion William Muldoon, and was slammed to the mat in two minutes.

- The next publicized encounter occurred in the late 1890s when future heavyweight boxing champion Bob Fitzsimmons took on European Greco-Roman wrestling champion Ernest Roeber. Reportedly, Roeber suffered a fractured cheekbone in this bout, but was able to get Fitzsimmons down on the mat, where he applied an armlock and made the boxer submit.

- In Europe, around the 19th century the Italian Giovanni Raicevich skilled in Greco-Roman wrestling defeated Akitaro Ono, a Japanese heavyweight fighter that was skilled in Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, and Sumo, throwing him on the mat by one-arm shoulder throw.

- In 1936, heavyweight boxing contender Kingfish Levinsky and veteran professional wrestler Ray Steele competed in a mixed match, which Steele won in 35 seconds.

- Another early example of mixed martial arts combat was the martial art of Bartitsu, founded in London in 1899, which was the first martial art known to have combined Asian and European fighting styles, and which saw MMA-style contests throughout England, pitting European and Japanese champions against representatives of various European wrestling styles.

- Mixed style contests such as boxing vs. jujutsu were popular entertainment throughout Europe, Japan and the Pacific Rim during the early 1900s. In Japan these contests were known as merikan, from the Japanese slang for "American [fighting]". Merikan contests were fought under a variety of rules including points decision, best of three throws or knockdowns, and victory via knockout or submission.

- Professional wrestling died out after World War I and was reborn in two streams: "shoot", in which the fighters actually competed, and "show," which evolved into modern professional wrestling.

b) Modern

- The history of modern MMA competition can be traced to mixed style contests throughout Europe, Japan and the Pacific Rim during the early 1900s; the Gracie family's vale tudo martial arts tournaments in Brazil starting in the 1920s; and early mixed martial arts matches hosted by Antonio Inoki in Japan in the 1970s.

- The sport gained international exposure and widespread publicity in the United States in 1993, when Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighter Royce Gracie handily won the first Ultimate Fighting Championship tournament, submitting three challengers in just five minutes, sparking a revolution in the martial arts.

- The movement that led to the creation of the UFC and PRIDE was rooted in two interconnected subcultures. First were the vale tudo events in Brazil, followed by the Japanese shoot wrestling shows. Vale tudo began in the 1920s with the "Gracie challenge" issued by Carlos Gracie and Hélio Gracie and upheld later on by descendants of the Gracie family. In Japan in the 1970s, a series of mixed martial arts matches were hosted by Antonio Inoki, inspiring the shoot-style movement in Japanese professional wrestling, which eventually led to the formation of the first mixed martial arts organizations, such as Shooto, which was formed in 1985.

- The concept of combining the elements of multiple martial arts was pioneered and popularized by Bruce Lee in the late 1960s to early 1970s. Lee believed that "the best fighter is not a Boxer, Karate or Judo man. The best fighter is someone who can adapt to any style." His innovative concepts were recognized in 2004 by UFC President Dana White when he called Lee the "father of mixed martial arts."

- In 2007, Zuffa LLC, the owners of the UFC MMA promotion, bought Japanese rival MMA brand PRIDE, merging the contracted fighters under one promotion and drawing comparisons to the consolidation that occurred in other sports, such as the AFL-NFL Merger in American football.

2) Styles

- UFC commentator Joe Rogan has claimed that martial arts have evolved more in the ten years following 1993 than in the preceding 700 years.

- The early years of the sport saw a wide variety of traditional styles - everything from sumo to kickboxing - but the continual evolution of the sport saw many styles prove ineffective, while others proved successful on their own.

- In the early 1990s, three styles stood out for their effectiveness in competition: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, amateur wrestling and shoot wrestling. This may be attributable in part to the grappling emphasis of the aforementioned styles, which were, perhaps due to the scarcity of mixed martial arts competitions prior to the early 90s, unknown to most practitioners of striking-based arts.

- Fighters who combined amateur wrestling with striking techniques found success in the standing portion of a fight, whilst Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu stylists had a distinct advantage on the ground: those unfamiliar with submission grappling proved to be unprepared to deal with its submission techniques. Shoot wrestling practitioners offered a balance of amateur wrestling ability and catch wrestling-based submissions, resulting in a well-rounded skillset. The shoot wrestlers were especially successful in Japan.

- As competitions became more and more common, those with a base in striking became more competitive as they acquainted themselves with takedowns and submission holds, leading to notable upsets against the then dominant grapplers. Subsequently, those from the varying grappling styles added striking techniques to their arsenal. This overall development of increased cross-training resulted in the fighters becoming increasingly multi-dimensional and well-rounded in their skills. The changes were demonstrated when the original UFC champion Royce Gracie who had defeated many opponents using Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fought the then UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Hughes at UFC 60 and was defeated by a TKO from 'ground-and-pound'.
    test
  2. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Strategies

- The techniques utilized in mixed martial arts competition generally fall into two categories: striking techniques (such as kicks, knees and punches) and grappling techniques (such as clinch holds, pinning holds, submission holds, sweeps, takedowns and throws).

- While the legality of some techniques (such as elbow strikes, headbutts and spinal locks) may vary, there is a near universal ban on techniques such as biting, strikes to the groin, eye-gouging, fish-hooking and small joint manipulation.

- Today, mixed martial artists must cross-train in a variety of styles to counter their opponent's strengths and remain effective in all the phases of combat. For instance, a stand-up fighter will have little opportunity to use their skills against a submission artist who has also trained take downs. Many traditional disciplines remain popular as a way for a fighter to improve aspects of their game.

Popular Disciplines

- Stand-up: Various forms of boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, and forms of full contact karate are trained to improve footwork, elbowing, kicking, kneeing and punching.

- Clinch: Freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling, Sambo, and Judo are trained to improve clinching, takedowns and throws, while Muay Thai is trained to improve the striking aspect of the clinch.

- Ground: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, shoot wrestling, catch wrestling, Judo, and Sambo are trained to improve submission holds, and defense against them. These styles are also trained to improve and maintain ground control.

- Some styles have been adapted from their traditional form, such as boxing stances which lack effective counters to leg kicks and takedowns, or Judo techniques which must be adapted for No Gi competition. It is common for a fighter to train with multiple coaches of different styles or an organized fight team to improve various aspects of their game at once. Cardiovascular conditioning, speed drills, strength training and flexibility are also important aspects of an MMA fighter's training. Some schools advertise their styles as simply "Mixed Martial Arts", which has become a genre in itself.

Hybrid Styles

1.) Sprawl and Brawl

Sprawl-and-brawl is a stand-up fighting tactic that consists of effective stand-up striking, while avoiding ground fighting, typically by using sprawls to defend against takedowns.

A sprawl-and-brawler is usually a boxer, kickboxer, Thai boxer or full contact karate fighter who has trained in wrestling to avoid takedowns to keep the fight standing. Often, these fighters will study submission wrestling to avoid being submitted, should they find themselves on the ground. This style can be deceptively different from traditional kickboxing styles, since sprawl-and-brawlers must adapt their techniques to incorporate takedown and ground fighting defense. Chuck Liddell and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipović are examples of sprawl-and-brawl fighters.

2.) Clinch Fighting

Clinch fighting and dirty boxing are tactics consisting of using a clinch hold to prevent the opponent from moving away into more distant striking range, while also attempting takedowns and striking the opponent using knees, stomps, elbows, and punches. The clinch is often utilized by wrestlers that have added in components of the striking game (typically boxing), and Muay Thai fighters.

Wrestlers may use clinch fighting as a way to neutralize the superior striking skills of a stand-up fighter or to prevent takedowns by a superior ground fighter. The clinch of a Muay Thai fighter is often used to improve the accuracy of knees and elbows by physically controlling the position of the opponent. Wanderlei Silva and Anderson Silva are examples of effective clinch fighters.

3.) Ground and Pound

Ground-and-pound is a ground fighting tactic consisting of taking an opponent to the ground using a takedown or throw, obtaining a top, or dominant position, and then striking the opponent, primarily with the fists. Ground-and-pound is also used as a precursor to attempting submission holds.

This style is used by wrestlers or other fighters well-versed in submission defense and skilled at takedowns. They take the fight to the ground, maintain a grappling position, and strike until their opponent submits or is knocked out. Although not a traditional style of striking (it was first demonstrated as an effective technique by UFC and PRIDE grand prix champion, Mark Coleman), the effectiveness and reliability of ground-and-pound has made it a popular tactic. Today, strikes on the ground are an essential part of a fighter's training. Randy Couture and Tito Ortiz are examples of effective ground-and-pound fighters.

4.) Submission Grappling

Apart from being a general martial arts term, submission grappling is also a reference to the ground fighting tactic consisting of taking an opponent to the ground using a takedown or throw and then applying a submission hold, forcing the opponent to submit. While grapplers will often work to attain dominant position, some may be more comfortable fighting from other positions. If a grappler finds themselves unable to force a takedown, they may resort to pulling guard, whereby they physically pull their opponent into a dominant position on the ground.

Submissions are an essential part of many disciplines, most notably catch wrestling, judo, Sambo, pankration, Army Combatives, MCMAP and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Josh Barnett, BJ Penn, the brothers Antônio Rodrigo and Antônio Rogério Nogueira, Shinya Aoki and Fedor Emelianenko are examples of submission grapplers.

5.) Lay and Pray

Lay-and-pray is a pejorative term for a strategy whereby a fighter can control their opponent on the ground, but is unable to mount an effective offense.[25] They simply seek to negate the offense of their opponent, "praying" for a decision victory. In some MMA promotions, penalties may be imposed for lay-and-pray techniques if the referee determines that a fighter is stalling.

Source: wikipedia
    test
  3. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

test
  4. PRIDE 1

Rickson Gracie vs. Nobuhiko Takada
    Kimo vs. Daniel Severn
    Gary Goodridge vs. Oleg Taktarov
    Akira Shoji vs. Renzo Gracie
    Nathan Jones vs. Mitsuharu Kitao
    Ralph White vs. Branko Cikatic
    Kazunari Murakami vs. John Dixon

MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it

PRIDE 2

Vernon White vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
    Branco Cikatic vs. Mark Kerr
    Marco Ruas vs. Gary Goodridge
    Renzo Gracie vs. Sanae Kikuta
    Akira Shoji vs. Juan Mott
    William Roosmalen vs. Ralph White
    Tasis Petridis vs. George Randolph

PRIDE 3

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Carlos Newton
    Mark Kerr vs. Pedro Otavio
    Gary Goodridge vs. Amir Rahnavardi
    Nobuhiko Takada vs. Kyle Sturgeon
    Daijiro Matsui vs. Akira Shoji
    William Roosmalen vs. Ralph White
    Emanuel Yarbrough vs. Daijyu Takase

PRIDE 4

Rickson Gracie vs. Nobuhiko Takada
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Allan Goes
    Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Gary Goodridge
    Marco Ruas vs. Alexander Otsuka
    Hugo Duarte vs. Mark Kerr
    Akira Shoji vs. Wallid Ismail
    Daijiro Matsui vs. Sanae Kikuta
    Yuhi Sano vs. Satoshi Honma

PRIDE 5

Mark Coleman vs. Nobuhiko Takada
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Vitor Belfort
    Enson Inoue vs. Soichi Nishida
    Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Akira Shoji
    Satoshi Honma vs. Francisco Bueno
    Minor Toyonaga vs. Egan Inoue
    Super Exhibition: Royler Gracie vs. Rickson Gracie

PRIDE 6

Mark Kerr vs. Nobuhiko Takada
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Ebenezer Fontes Braga
    Gary Goodridge vs. Naoya Ogawa
    Akira Shoji vs. Guy Mezger
    Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Carlos Barreto
    Hiroki Kurosawa vs. Nobuaki Kakuda
    Daijiro Matsui vs. Carlos Newton
    Carl Malenko vs. Egan Inoue

PRIDE 7

Mark Kerr vs. Igor Vovchanchyn
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Anthony Macias
    Akira Shoji vs. Larry Parker
    Branko Cikatic vs. Maurice Smith
    Enson Inoue vs. Tully Kulihaapa
    Carl Malenko vs. Vanderlei Silva
    Daijiro Matsui vs. Bob Schrijver

PRIDE 8

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Royler Gracie
    Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Francisco Bueno
    Alexander Otsuka vs. Renzo Gracie
    Daijiro Matsui vs. Vanderlei Silva
    Frank Trigg vs. Fabiano Iha
    Carl Malenko vs. Allan Goes
    Mark Coleman vs. Ricardo Morais
    Gary Goodridge vs. Tom Erikson

Pride 9 New Blood
    6/4/2000 Nagoya Rainbow Hall Nagoya Japan

this pride was very slow and dull compared to the others. this and the PRIDE GP opening round may have been the slowest events in PRIDE history to take place. the fights are as followed:
    1)Heath Herring vs. Willie Peters
    2)Carlos Barreto vs. Tra Telligma
    3)Alan Goes vs. Vernon "Tiger" White
    4)Carlos Newton vs. Naoki Sano
    5)Akira Shoji vs. John Renken
    6)Gilbert Yvel vs. Vitor Belfort
    7)Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Daijiro Matsui
    8)Ricco Rodriquez vs. Gary Goodridge

PRIDE 10 Return of the Warriors
    8/27/2000 Seibu Dome Saitama Japan

Kazushi Sakuraba Vs. Renzo Gracie
    Ken Shamrock Vs. Kazuy*** Fujita
    Mark Kerr Vs. Borisov Igor
    Enson Inoue Vs. Igor Vovchanchyn
    Ricco Rodriquez Vs. "Giant" Ochlal
    Gilbert Yvel Vs. Gary Goodridge
    Vitor Gelfort Vs. Daljiro Matsui
    Ryan Gracie Vs. Tokimitsu Ishizawa
    Guy Mezger Vs. Vanderlei Silva

PRIDE 11 Battle of the Rising Sun
    10/31/2000 Osaka Castle Hall Osaka Japan

Heath Herring vs. Tom Erikson
    Gilbert Yvel vs. Vanderlei Silva
    Yoshiaki Yatsu vs. Gary Goodridge
    Alexander Otsuka vs. Mike Bourke
    Akira Shoji vs. Herman Renting
    Igar Vovchnchyn vs. Nobuy*** Takeda
    Masaaki Satake vs. Naoya Ogawa
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Shannon "The Cannon" Ritch

PRIDE 12 Cold Fury
    12/9/2000 Saitama Super Arena Saitama Japan

Alexander Otsuka ( Battlarts ) vs Guy Mezger (UFC)
    Johil De Oliveira vs Carlos Newton
    Ricco Rodriguez vs John Marsh
    Akira Shoji vs Ricardo Almeida
    Enson Inoue vs Heath Herring
    Wanderlei Silva vs Dan Henderson
    Kazuy*** Fujita vs Gilbert Yvel
    Igor Vovchanchyn vs Mark Kerr
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs Ryan Gracie

PRIDE 13 Collision Course