Voting - should you do it?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by McGirth, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGirth

McGirth New Member

We often hear commercials that proclaim that a responsible person votes. Its their civic duty. The youth today are constantly bombarded with the message that they need to vote.

But is it really your civic duty to vote?

by voting you are conveying legitimacy to the political/legal order according to the classic model of democracy the US is based on (locke). If this order is currently corrupt/problematic REGARDLESS of who gets voted in, then you vote in effect legitimizes the system.

You may have a duty to NOT vote.

Not voting is a political act. It represents either a lack of beleif in the system as a whole, with the rampant corruption that the party system entails. Or it represents citizens that have not been educated justly by society. They have no reason to vote, they dont understand its significance. By not voting you are displaying your political will by disagreeing with te current system. If enough people do not vote, then the political order loses its democratic legitimacy - things HAVE to change at this point. Not voting could be the best thing for democracy.

Today much of hte "get out to vote" message is done through tv ads, etc.

But a proper democratic system would not get people out voting through commercials and propaganda. It would flow naturally from having a system that includes people where they are politically educated & enfranchised into the poltical order.
    Votes that stem from propaganda are not good votes - they don't reflect democracy in the classical sense upon which every democracy is founded. Rather, they reflect those in power having the ability to beam their one-way political discourse to the masses by having much wealth. Increased voting of this form does not reflect democracy - but olygarchy, where the wealthy dominate the political order.

As a citizen, your duty may oblige yout to not just NOT vote, but also to explain to others why not to voite as well.
    test
  2. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

I recently heard of a process here in Canada where instead of voting for the main parties you could vote a sort of no contest to show that you dont have any belief in any of the parties to carry out your point of views. This would be a better action to take than just not voting. Especially seeing as so many people dont do it anyway.

Kinda makes me think of Brewsters Millionare, i know bad movie but the whole dont vote for me even though im a candidate thing.
    test
  3. MC VeXeD

MC VeXeD New Member

MTV works with the government which means they say things like "YOUR VOTE COUNTS" to the youth.

In turn the youth believes that many youngsters vote if they havent themselves.
    These are lies

No ones vote counts anymore

and by everyone simple NOT VOTING, that is enough proof that we do not believe in the powers that be......

or rather the powers that take......
    test
  4. Sodium

Sodium I Get Computers Putin'

\

]fd;
    ;r];LRF[
    elfp
    ]elf]
    ewlfr[
    ]wlafDw
    F
    fs
    E
    fe;'f[ewlf[
    e]kgf[\
    f
    d
    test
  5. Sodium

how would you create a society of people that understand the way the political system works? i think through 2 things:

1-you would have to start at the ground level. political responsibilty and awareness would have to be that society's vision of beauty -- like an ego ideal of sorts. if this could be held as a standard of beauty that all aspire to become then their surroundings (reality) will naturally begin to reflect more and more what exists deep inside their souls.

people like rappers or anyone with the capacity to influence what is beautiful could accomplish this.

2. there must be a new way for people to learn about the world. in order to make rational political decisions (ultimately the great hope of a democracy) one must have greater understanding of how the world works before any talk about the legalisation of drugs or the iraq war or whatevr can begin. without this greater understanding acting as a secure foundation, decisions will ultimately be flawed increasing the liklihood of a corrupt government coming back into power. to this i suggest that the curriculum for kids in middle-school and up be changed to center around things like logic and philosophy: the basis of all knowledge. from this kids would take these critical thinking skills and then apply them to issues relevent to their existence as members of society. for example, tupac suggested that kids should have a class about racism and i completely agree. there should be open discourses about issues relevelnt to children in regards to their lives as functional and contributing members of society. in essence, i believe that school should teach people how to live a good life. anything that can be called intelligence ultimately flows back to this. living a good life requires that one knows and understands themselves and the society they live in. currently, however, this sort of thing is not facillitated by the current school curriculum. the effects of this are readily apparent.
    test
  6. Sodium

and the 'dont vote' is a genius slogan. just perfect.
    test
  7. Sodium

i think the dont vote thing is good because it associates the i dont give a fuck anti-establihsmet outlook of the youth with political responsiblity. if you think about it; this (association of the two) is the only way to go about it. dont vote is just catchy too.
    test
  8. teq the decider

teq the decider sexual predator

no

The US political system isnt based upon any model of democracy. It is(was) a republic. It has however in a large part become a democracy thanks to the marginalisation of the constitution.

no

No one is educated by 'society'. 'society' is a counter productive abstraction most often cited by people who try to acheive aggregate efffects by simply ignoring how the component parts(people) actually function.

Wrong. If you ever managed to have a significant number of people abstain from voting based upon this appeal all you would do is increase the political power of those who didnt agree with the argument and continued voting. The effect would likely be the opposite to the one you intend.

How would you distinguish what was 'propoganda' and what was legitimate information? and in attempting to do so wouldnt you be putting a huge amount of power into the hands of whomever was charged with making the distinction?

A democracy is a democracy no matter whatever motivates or influences voters. Just because it produces results you dont like doesnt mean you can simply claim it isnt a democracy. Your problem appears to be not realising that what youre able to construct is dependant largely on the raw materials youre working with. The raw material in this case being humanity, which is shit.

Personally I think your only duty should be to not fuck with my stuff. Apart from that I dont care.
    test
  9. McGirth

McGirth New Member

mcvexed: thats exactly what i'm talking about. If we see democracy as a sort of social contract, then that sort of "go out to vote" message is the equivalent of something telling you that it is responsible to sign into contracts without knowing what their about. Only a fool would do that.

snowy: thats really something different in kind &as sodium pointed out isn;t really effective.

sodium: hadn't thought that far. honestly if i wanted to start a movement i wouldn't do it on here. the good thing about this is that there are already a good chunk of the population on board implicitly. It merely identifies an impulse that already exists. It also applies to all "democracies", from Russia to Canada. the the movement could technically be global. a sort of global opting out against global olygarchy in effect. I think tipping things to say 30% voting would raise the legitimacy issue in any democracy. This feeds into other things i've been saying in that as property becomes harder and harder to own, there will be less and less enfrancished people. With less people having a hand that feeds them; people will become more willing to bite.

teq: you didint raise anything that interests me. good job thinking though and don't worry i wont touch your stuff.
    test
  10. KEALYBOY

KEALYBOY Ignorant is a pedophile

Fuck voting for the sake of it

Why the hell should you vote if you don't agree with a particular candidate?

Especially when they often amount to equal and opposite evils
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.