Vitamin question!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ThisMiss, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

Alright so, I recently became a vegetarian, and I know by doing that I'm missing out on a lot of nutrients. I have been eating other forms of protien like tofu (ew). And I do take a multivitamin everyday, but my question is, should I be taking more than just my regular multivitamin? Or is that enough?
    test
  2. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

im pretty biased against vegetarians since im on an almost exclusively carnivorous diet but i think you just need to make sure youre getting enough protein. take protein supplements if thats the case i.e, protein shakes or power bars, etc.

other than that im not too sure. you have to specify more of what youre eating, maybe share your diet information with someone who knows more than us here at RM. Also, did you create this diet yourself or did you use someone else's pre-designed one?
    test
  3. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I don't understand vegertarians and I never will. Humans are omnivores, get with it.
    test
  4. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

You need to adjust your diet a pretty good amount to get all the vitamins and nutrients you need from stuff other than meat. You need to focus on stuff like dry beans (legumes), nuts, seeds, eggs, and soy foods like you said, tofu and tempeh is what a lot of vegetarians eat too. You need to find other sources of calcium and protein.

Most plant proteins are incomplete but a variety of plant foods will supply all of the essential amino acids. Choose minimally processed and unrefined foods so you maximize your nutrient value and provide enough dietary fiber.

You need to make sure you get enough vitamin B-12, vitamin D, calcium, iron, and zinc.

Consuming a variety of plant foods can provide all needed nutrients except vitamin B-12 and possibly vitamin D.

You can get vitamin B-12 (found naturally only in animal foods) from fortified foods such as some cereals, soy beverages, meat subsitutes, special yeast products (I think only a few, as to which ones I'm not exactly sure), and also from supplements

Vitamin D can be obtained from some cereals, soy or rice milk, or by taking a supplement.

Calcium is found in legumes, tofu, dark green leafy vegetables, nuts, orange juice, soy milk, bread, and other foods

Iron is found in whole grains, fortified bread and cereals, dried fruits, grean leafy vegetables, nuts,legumes, soy foods. Get it from those and less from plant foods (more difficult for the body to absorb than the iron from animal sources), also get a good source of vitamin C because vitamin C improves iron absorption.

And lastly Zinc is found in whole grains, nuts, legumes, and soy foods.

Just make sure to eat as wide a variety of foods as possible to ensure that all your nutritional needs are satisfied.

So yes, I would take more than just a multivitamin to get the adequate amounts of the nutrients your missing out on from animal foods. What type of vegetarian are you?
    test
  5. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

soy milk is pretty nutritious.

try that.
    test
  6. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

ive heard soy has some pretty estrogenic (word?) effects
    test
  7. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

Alright....

I tried tempeh the other day and it was alriiiiiiiiight, I'll eat it again...

And for the most part I eat whole grains, fruits, veggies, soy milk and my mulitvitamin...

And then on days when I go to school I bring like two clif bars with me.. and those hold me off till I get home..

So my basic day is school 8-5

So i get up and I'll eat a bowl of either special k or grapenuts with a cut up banana and blueberries with soy milk then I take my vitamin

Then I go to school and I take a water bottle and two clif bars with me, I don't really have time to eat anything else, and they fill me up sooo yeah...

And then I come home and have dinner with my mooooomma, whos a chef, so... we eat well, she always cooks up something good like a hearty soup, some kind of pasta dish, veggie burger or whatever.. she also bakes all the bread I eat =)
    test
  8. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

quinoa is a grain kind of like rice...but it is a complete protein...

i think its pronounced keen-u-waa...but im not sure lol
    test
  9. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

Hmm I'll have to check it out, thanks.
    test
  10. sreeja

sreeja New Member

Why don't people just buy all kinds of bottles of vitamins and take the daily recommended value instead of taking a multi-vitamin which doesn't provide you with as much. Other than the fact that you acquire nutrients throughout the day and the cost of the vitamins, wouldn't this be wise?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.