violent videogames and movies cause increased violence in people

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Superman70, Sep 2, 2013.

1. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

The truth shouldn't be about sides, and common sense is often wrong.

I've learned that, yes violent media can increase such behavior, but it's nothing to be worried about. Take Brazilian soccer fans, I'm sure that sport somehow has a much stronger effect.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  2. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

You know what's a proven fact that will increase violence?

Raider's football games. Win... lose... doesn't matter, riot.
    test
  3. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

That's interesting, perhaps they should have a video game class or period in schools, as they do phys-ed. MIT is trying something like that with a MMORPG for highschool kids. I think it comes out today actually, but I'm not sure if it's available for non-faculty. I can't wait to try it, the graphics don't look too bad.
    Link: http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2013/08/mit-unleashes-new-online-game-for-math-and-science/

I actually picked up video games for the increased decision making. I'm sure I mentioned that in the Mass Effect thread.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  4. billy nomates.

billy nomates. rain cancels play.

also portal is used to teach physics.
    test
  5. IssphitiKOzS

IssphitiKOzS Avalanche

Really? o_O

I know sixty symbols did a video on portal 2.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  6. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Don't take it so literal. But the side of truth is a side. Common sense may have been the wrong way to put it. I think there's a lot of evidence supporting it and it's just something that has become clear to me over the years. I guess this just seems like an obvious connection to me.

Right. I'm not saying anyone should be worried. Like I said, it's just a normal thing that is going to happen, and we don't need to deny that it happens. Knowing that it happens will be beneficial though in getting the heat off games and putting the responsibility on the parents, etc.

We can use games, soccer, or a thousand other things, but I chose this one to be about games because so many people deny their influence.
    test
  7. Superman70

Superman70 edited

What hyperbole? There's no hyperbole unless you assume the title is referring to 100% of people, which it isn't, which has been said again and again. Also, thanks for being the spokesperson for everyone. I didn't realize enough people took you serious enough to give you that role.

If you dont see how Riz and I agree, you must have misunderstood what I was saying. He posted data directly related to what I've been saying.

and it's easy to say "post data" and then ignore it or point out how the data isn't perfect. Data supports claims, but it doesn't make the claims true or false. I didn't bother looking for data about this partly because I didn't see it changing anyone's view.

Don't take it so personal, no one's saying that you personally are going to go off and kill someone because you played too many games.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  8. billy nomates.

test
  9. IssphitiKOzS

IssphitiKOzS Avalanche

You made an unsubstantiated claim.

In thought you were just kidding.
    test
  10. billy nomates.

claim substantiated.
    test
  11. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

I heard about this little kid who once saved his sister from a bear using aggro techniques he learned from playing World of Warcraft. Clearly, video games are bad.
    test